Re: [KS_and_KC_GenOne_Rockers] Re: The Beast

  • danny fleming
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 8, 2004
      Bill,
      I'm in touch with Dean Deitz (not sure of the last name spelling) who now lives in Wichita.
      Dean was the lead singer for the Dinks when Michael Kerns moved to Hays and joined the Dinks.  I remember seeing them perform several times at Captains Quarters in Beloit...one of their many weekend haunts.  After work today I'll send you some info to contact him...he's got quite a few stories of the Dink's after original lead singer Pat Waddell left...right on up to the change of name to the Beast.
      dano

      ksrocker@... wrote:
      In a message dated 11/7/2004 3:40:44 PM Central Standard Time, fulton_calvery@... writes:

      Michael Kerns moved to Hays and broght the name with him.  He then
      got some guys who were playing un the name "The Dinks" and they
      becams The Beast or later "Beast"

      http://www.kansasmusicalartist.com/beast.html

      Thanks for answering my question.  I knew you had the Beast pics and MP3 on your KMA site, but there was no info on the band's history.  Any chance you can get Dana or someone else to tell the tale?  I should have eompared the two lineups to see which, if any, name matched, but I thought I'd throw the question up here instead to try to get a little activity going on a slow weekend.  Man does not live by watching the Chiefs lose alone.

      Bill

      Do you Yahoo!?
    • L. Dennis Higgins
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 8, 2004
        I remember this band well. I think Robert Yazel played on the song
        "Green-Eyed Lady" in the early 70's with Sugarloaf. When Beast moved to
        Hays, Don Weirman played guitar for them and I think Mike Schmidt (both
        were with the Soul Express earlier) was on drums. Rockin'!

        Dennis Fox Higgins
        Soul Express, Spider and the Crabs, Red Dogs, Rathbone