Re: As if anyone cares

  • Dawayne Bailey
    Message 1 of 12 , Oct 3 11:17 AM
      --- In KS_and_KC_GenOne_Rockers@yahoogroups.com, Rodney Lay
      <taptap123kick@y...> wrote:
      > I don't if Martina McBride has been performing for 25 years or
      not. She may not qualify quite yet. Rodney

      I have a video from July 1986 of a show where my band Private Parts
      opened for Starship and The Outfield at Lawrence Dumont Stadium in
      Wichita. I hired Martina as our backup singer.

      She was 20 then and is now 38.

      She started her performing career with...well, this is directly from
      her FAQ section at http://www.martina-mcbride.com/main.shtml

      8. How did Martina get started in the music business?

      Martina's dad, Daryl Schiff, fronted a band called The Schiffters,
      playing local dances in small towns in south-central Kansas on the
      weekends. Martina began singing with the band at about age seven and
      later also played keyboard until graduating from high school. After
      attending one semester of college, she decided to go back to making
      music full-time, so she moved to Hutchinson, Kansas to sing in the
      band of some family friends. A year later, she moved to Wichita and
      sang with several local rock bands.

      -------

      So according to that, she's been performing live for 31 years.

      Martina was inducted into the Grand Ole Opry in 1995 at age 29. She
      has won Grammys and was also given the Grammy organization's highest
      honor, The Heroes Award, for her ongoing charitable work.

      And by the way, even if Martina is never inducted into the Kansas
      HOF, she already has her own museum in Barber County, Kansas:

      Martina Museum
      http://www.barbercountyheritage.com/martina_museum_info.htm

      I'd say she's paid enough dues and has lived up to the "25 years"
      rule to be inducted into your hall of fame.
    • fulton_calvery
      Message 2 of 12 , Oct 3 11:31 AM
        Here, Here... And I think the fact that she has been country female
        vocalist of the year 3 years in a row I think. Might qualify her to
        be in the same comapny as conny and the bellhops.

        Come on people!!!!

        --- In KS_and_KC_GenOne_Rockers@yahoogroups.com, "Dawayne Bailey"

        Message 3 of 12 , Oct 3 11:58 AM
          --- In KS_and_KC_GenOne_Rockers@yahoogroups.com, Beth Scalet
          <bethscalet@y...> wrote:
          > I agree, and likewise I'm not sure Melissa Etheridge is eligible
          yet, either.

          I think the idea of rules and the whole Cleveland hall of fame is
          ridiculous. The idea that George Harrison was voted in AFTER Paul
          McCartney is ridiculous. Just put em in all at the same time. Voting
          is for politics, not for what someone has contributed to music.

          I believe Melissa Ethridge has accomplished enough in her career,
          more than 99% of most musicians who hail from Kansas, that should
          merit her inclusion into any kind of Kansas music hall of fame.

          This is part of her bio:

          Melissa Etheridge was born on May 29, 1961, in the small town of
          Leavenworth, Kansas. When Melissa was eight years old, her father
          bought her a guitar — she immediately took to the instrument.

          By the age of 10, she was writing songs in response to the aloof
          Midwestern attitudes that prevailed in the '60s, as well as in her
          own household. When she was 13, she was chosen to sing and play
          guitar for a band called The Showmen.

          Melissa traveled with the group for a year, playing officer's clubs,
          hotels, ballrooms and prisons throughout Missouri and Kansas, and
          also played Dorothy in a production of The Wizard of Oz. When the
          group disbanded, Melissa and The Showmen's drummer formed a band
          called The Roadshow. Over the next three years, Melissa played with
          The Roadshow and became a seasoned, highly versatile performer.

          -----------

          So...according to these facts, like Martina, she has passed your "25
          year" rule and has been perforing live for at least 30 years.

          >>>Notwithstanding the current debate about "Kansas Music"
          or "Kansas Rock Music", this list BEGAN with first generation
          rock'n'roll in Kansas and I think that's the pool that the first
          inductees should be drawn from.

          Fair enough, but I just wanted to set the record straight about both
          Martina and Melissa, based on what Rodney said - that they haven't
          passed the "25 years of performing" test.

          They've passed ALL tests to be inducted into ANY hall of fame....

          As for your 'first generation rock and roll' rule, then why is Plain
          Jane on your list?

          >>>Ya know, they don't usually give you the plaque until they've
          retired your number, if you get me.

          Then why is Earth, Wind & Fire and countless other music vets still
          out there on the road selling lots of tickets at major venues after
          being inducted into the Rock Hall years ago?

          That's why I don't believe in contests, rules and voting to
          acknowledge the contributions of musicians. Just give credit to who
          deserves it and be done with it.

          Musicians aren't like sports jocks, where they retire after a
          certain age. Musicians play until they die.
        • Beth Scalet
          Message 4 of 12 , Oct 3 2:47 PM
            oops . . . my bad . . . melissa's in too . . . the reason we can't put everybody in all at once is
            1) the plaques cost too much (really!)
            2) the ceremony would take about a week

            I'm all for everyone who's deserving to make it in.

            <spocketrocket@y...> wrote:

            > --- In KS_and_KC_GenOne_Rockers@yahoogroups.com, Rodney Lay
            > <taptap123kick@y...> wrote:
            > > I don't if Martina McBride has been performing for 25 years or
            > not.  She may not qualify quite yet.  Rodney
            >

            > I have a video from July 1986 of a show where my band Private
            Parts
            > opened for Starship and The Outfield at Lawrence Dumont Stadium in
            > Wichita. I hired Martina as our backup singer.
            >
            > She was 20 then and is now 38.
            >
            > She started her performing career with...well, this is directly
            from
            > her FAQ section at http://www.martina-mcbride.com/main.shtml
            >
            > 8. How did Martina get started in the music business?
            >
            > Martina's dad, Daryl Schiff, fronted a band called The Schiffters,
            > playing local dances in small towns in south-central Kansas on the
            > weekends. Martina began singing with the band at about age seven
            and
            > later also played keyboard until graduating from high school.
            After
            > attending one semester of college, she decided to go back to
            making
            > music full-time, so she moved to Hutchinson, Kansas to sing in the
            > band of some family friends. A year later, she moved to Wichita
            and
            > sang with several local rock bands.
            >
            > -------
            >
            > So according to that, she's been performing live for 31 years.
            >
            > Martina was inducted into the Grand Ole Opry in 1995 at age 29.
            She
            > has won Grammys and was also given the Grammy organization's
            highest
            > honor, The Heroes Award, for her ongoing charitable work.
            >
            > And by the way, even if Martina is never inducted into the Kansas
            > HOF, she already has her own museum in Barber County, Kansas:
            >
            > Martina Museum
            > http://www.barbercountyheritage.com/martina_museum_info.htm
            >
            > I'd say she's paid enough dues and has lived up to the "25 years"
            > rule to be inducted into your hall of fame.

            Beth Scalet
            www.bethscalet.com or
            www.cdbaby.com/scalet
            http://mail.yahoo.com

          • ksrocker@aol.com
            Message 5 of 12 , Oct 3 3:15 PM
              In a message dated 10/3/2004 4:47:32 PM Central Daylight Time, bethscalet@... writes:

              oops . . . my bad . . . melissa's in too . . . the reason we can't put everybody in all at once is
              1) the plaques cost too much (really!)
              2) the ceremony would take about a week

              I'm all for everyone who's deserving to make it in.

              If we put everyone in the first year, then there's nothing to do next year except sit around and talk about the awesome ceremony "we had last year."  You can vote for Missy or Martina, or you can vote for someone else.  It's up to you.  Why is that a problem?

              Bill
            • ksrocker@aol.com
              Message 6 of 12 , Oct 3 3:24 PM
                In a message dated 10/3/2004 1:58:49 PM Central Daylight Time, spocketrocket@... writes:

                So...according to these facts, like Martina, she has passed your "25
                year" rule and has been perforing live for at least 30 years.

                Dawayne,

                I agree she has been performing long enough.  I have heard a tape of Missy doing half of a duet on the song "Mockingbird" when she was 14.  The main reason for trying to keep the number of inductees within reason is that so far there are only a few people doing the work to make this actually happen.  I don't expect you to come in from California so you can run lights or sell T-shirts in the lobby, but someone will be doing that.  We're trying to recruit members from the general public, not just this group of Yahooies.  We WILL find our way, and I think most people will be thrilled with the final list of inductees.  Then those of us who are putting this thing together will have to arrange to get as many of the inductees as we can to attend.  Most of us also have jobs and families and other responsibilties that take up time we'd rather spend on the Hall of Fame.

                Bill

                P.S.  Happy Birthday!
              • Rodney Lay
                Message 7 of 12 , Oct 3 7:45 PM
                  By all means, Martina and Mellissa should be nominated then.  Rodney

                  <taptap123kick@y...> wrote:
                  > I don't if Martina McBride has been performing for 25 years or
                  not.  She may not qualify quite yet.  Rodney

                  I have a video from July 1986 of a show where my band Private Parts
                  opened for Starship and The Outfield at Lawrence Dumont Stadium in
                  Wichita. I hired Martina as our backup singer.

                  She was 20 then and is now 38.

                  She started her performing career with...well, this is directly from
                  her FAQ section at http://www.martina-mcbride.com/main.shtml

                  8. How did Martina get started in the music business?

                  Martina's dad, Daryl Schiff, fronted a band called The Schiffters,
                  playing local dances in small towns in south-central Kansas on the
                  weekends. Martina began singing with the band at about age seven and
                  later also played keyboard until graduating from high school. After
                  attending one semester of college, she decided to go back to making
                  music full-time, so she moved to Hutchinson, Kansas to sing in the
                  band of some family friends. A year later, she moved to Wichita and
                  sang with several local rock bands.

                  -------

                  So according to that, she's been performing live for 31 years.

                  Martina was inducted into the Grand Ole Opry in 1995 at age 29. She
                  has won Grammys and was also given the Grammy organization's highest
                  honor, The Heroes Award, for her ongoing charitable work.

                  And by the way, even if Martina is never inducted into the Kansas
                  HOF, she already has her own museum in Barber County, Kansas:

                  Martina Museum
                  http://www.barbercountyheritage.com/martina_museum_info.htm

                  I'd say she's paid enough dues and has lived up to the "25 years"
                  rule to be inducted into your hall of fame.

                  Do you Yahoo!?
                • Beth Scalet

                    Message 9 of 12 , Oct 3 9:26 PM
                      <taptap123kick@y...> wrote:
                      > By all means, Martina and Mellissa should be nominated then.
                      Rodney

                      Yes indeed. My point is not when they or anyone else should be
                      inducted. My whole point was that those 2 artists have passed
                      the "25 year" test and are also 2 of the biggest artists to have put
                      Kansas on the musical map and are both still very current. That's
                      all. Peace out, yo....