Chessmann Square

  • Dawayne Bailey
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 3 11:52 AM
      Anyone remember Chessmann Square who went on to form The Beckies
      with ex-Left Banke genius Michael Brown? I'm also on the Left Banke
      yahoogroups forum and some of the Left Banke members post there, as
      well as members of Chessmann Square. It's an interesting stew of
      musicians.
    • ksrocker@aol.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 3 12:45 PM
        In a message dated 4/3/2004 1:52:34 PM Central Standard Time, spocketrocket@... writes:

        Anyone remember Chessmann Square who went on to form The Beckies
        with ex-Left Banke genius Michael Brown? I'm also on the Left Banke
        yahoogroups forum and some of the Left Banke members post there, as
        well as members of Chessmann Square. It's an interesting stew of
        musicians.

        Of course!  A great band, Dawayne.  Two of the Chesmann were invited to join this group and I hope they will soon.  For the complete Chesmann story check out Ron West's website www.missouriband.com
        .  Jim McAllister is the only one of the guys still playing.  He's been working on some new things with Michael Brown.  I'm hoping that he joins up soon and tells us all about them.

        While on that subject, I want to thank those of you who have joined our little group (which I hope will grow into a very large group).  Most of you know I write a column for www.rockkansas.com
        , and I want you to be looking for the story of the Red Dogs next week.  My past columns on the pre-Fabulous Flippers, Big Bob Dougherty, the Fabulous Four and the Moanin' Glories are archived on the site

        I'm driving over to Kansas City this evening to catch the Fab Four at RC's in Martin City.  If you're in the area and not doing anything, join me.  You'll have a great time as these guys play their asses off.

        Bill
      • mikie0908
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 20 7:48 PM
          Hey Bill -

          You had written this at the first of the month about the Fab Four
          playing in Martin City (duh) - I have forgotten the members of that
          group - but when I wasn't playing (which wasn't often) I heard them
          one time over on Wornall Rd at some club around 80th or so. Can't
          recall for sure where.

          Who is still in this band? And do they play Martin City, on a
          regular basis? Would like to go see them next time they're playing.

          Mike Davidson (Chontels)

        • ksrocker@aol.com
          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 20 8:05 PM
            In a message dated 4/20/2004 9:52:23 PM Central Daylight Time, mollydawg@... writes:

            Hey Bill -

            You had written this at the first of the month about the Fab Four
            playing in Martin City (duh) - I have forgotten the members of that
            group - but when I wasn't playing (which wasn't often) I heard them
            one time over on Wornall Rd at some club around 80th or so. Can't
            recall for sure where.

            Who is still in this band? And do they play Martin City, on a
            regular basis? Would like to go see them next time they're playing.

            Mike Davidson (Chontels)

            You can get the complete Fabulous Four story by going to www.rockkansas.com
            and reading my archived column about them.  There are a couple of old pictures and two mp3s.  There are three of the original four members with the band: Bob Theen (guitar), Jeff Mann (bass) and Mike Meyers (keys).  Alex Love (drums) had to drop out when they got back together about five years ago.  Drummer Mark Higdon (Buremand & O'Roarke, Brush Creek Follies, Savanna) took his place.  Guys that have been singing together for nearly fifty years can certainly harmonize.

            They were playing at RC's once a month, but take the summer off, so won't be back until fall.  If they do any public shows before then, I'll try to post the info in the calendar section of the group site.  I try to keep an eye out for "First Generation" acts and post them.  Of course, anyone else that's still playing or knows about someone who is is encouraged to let the rest of us know the when and where.

            Bill