The Office - Emporia?

  • oozlet
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 8, 2012
      Anyone remember a bar in Emporia called The Office - circa 1974? How long was it open - who played there - when it closed etc - thanks for your help.
    • Ron Bowell
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 8, 2012

        Are you thinking of "The Store". It would have spanned about the same time period you are talking about. It was on the east side of town. Opened about 1970 right after Friar Tuck and the Monks left Emporia and went their separate ways and was no longer going by 1977 when Coyote, another band I was with, started playing Emporia at a place called the Bourbon Barrel.

        Ron Bowell

        Anyone remember a bar in Emporia called The Office - circa 1974? How long was it open - who played there - when it closed etc - thanks for your help.

        Do you have a slow PC? Try free scan!
      • Douglas Watt
        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 8, 2012
          There was a bar on the south end that was pretty popular, can't remember name, all I can remember is that Doug Clark and the Hot Nuts played there, then Renfro's, and a bar way west on hiway 50 that the C of E students went to..

          Are you thinking of "The Store". It would have spanned about the same time period you are talking about. It was on the east side of town. Opened about 1970 right after Friar Tuck and the Monks left Emporia and went their separate ways and was no longer going by 1977 when Coyote, another band I was with, started playing Emporia at a place called the Bourbon Barrel.

          Ron Bowell

          Anyone remember a bar in Emporia called The Office - circa 1974? How long was it open - who played there - when it closed etc - thanks for your help.

          Do you have a slow PC? Try free scan!
        • mitch bible
          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 8, 2012
            That South End bar was the Sportsman where Doug Clark played. I played there almost every Friday in '64-'65 for TGIF (Gary & The Satyrs). The Store was on the East side and was an old grocery store hence the name. CST played there in 1970. I knew the manager Dave Wooten quite well as he managed another band I played with called The Out Group w/ Jack Trice. Jim Reardon also managed that band in the Summer of '66.

            Message 5 of 8 , Feb 8, 2012
              What was the bar on the west side just out of town a bit that C of E students went to??  I booked one band there, can't remember the name.  I know when C Of E students went to Renfro's they were not well liked.

              Message 6 of 8 , Feb 8, 2012
                The West Side was The Colonial Manor (nice place) which had been a supper club, but it wasn't a C of E hangout really. I played there a lot in '66 and the entire Summer in a three piece. There was a club called the Hilltop or Hilltopper that I rarely went to that was on the North West side and that might be where you're thinking of. I didn't think they had bands ever but I could be wrong. One thing you never forget about Emporia in those days was the smell of the packing plants. DEATH!

                Message 7 of 8 , Feb 9, 2012

                  Coyote, the band I was with in the 70's regularly played at the Bourbon Barrel in downtown Emporia. It was an after-hours club downstairs with a low ceiling. When things were hopping you literally couldn't see the back of the club from the stage because of the smoke. Anyway, we would start playing at 10:30 and go until 2:30. The main reason for starting so late was to catch the late shifts coming out of those packing plants Mitch alluded to. We always commented that it was the strangest group of people we'd ever played for. I guess it either takes a different kind of person to work in a packing plant or the packing plant changes you into a different kind of person. Maybe both.

                  Ron

                  Message 8 of 8 , Feb 9, 2012
                    I know the club you're talking about downstairs. I don't remember what it was called when I lived there, but our organist John Murray hung out there a lot. I would go with him quite a bit. He went to C of E, as one of the few Kansas natives that did, so he had a lot of friends from the East Coast. Most C of E students were from the North East. They weren't very popular there because they were very critical of Kansas. After living in New England for 16 years and Chicago for 10 I fully understand their criticism.