Playmate Blues Band KMHOF Ballot

  • Michael
    Message 1 of 11 , Oct 1, 2011
      Hello fellow players,
      Wanted to let Ya'll know the Playmate Blues Band, Hays, Ks. 1965 to 67
      is on the Ballot for the Kansas Music Hall of Fame this year. we're all very grateful and humbled to be included with all the talented bands and players on this year's ballot.
      Our group was a touring group. No recordings exist, but we burned up the highways and by-ways all over the midwest. There are alot of great artists to choose from. But we'd appreciate your consideration. I've tried to put together a Facebook page(not great work) but you should be able to find it though me, Michael Kelley, or looking for th Playmate Blues Band. Good luck and thanks to you all!
      Michael Kelley
      Playmate Blues Band
    • Lester D Higgins
      Message 2 of 11 , Oct 1, 2011
        I remember the Playmate Blues Band very well.

        Worthy of induction in my books!

        Dennis Fox Higgins
        Educator/Musician

        On Oct 1, 2011, at 5:30 PM, Michael wrote:

        Hello fellow players,
        Wanted to let Ya'll know the Playmate Blues Band, Hays, Ks. 1965 to 67
        is on the Ballot for the Kansas Music Hall of Fame this year. we're all very grateful and humbled to be included with all the talented bands and players on this year's ballot.
        Our group was a touring group. No recordings exist, but we burned up the highways and by-ways all over the midwest. There are alot of great artists to choose from. But we'd appreciate your consideration. I've tried to put together a Facebook page(not great work) but you should be able to find it though me, Michael Kelley, or looking for th Playmate Blues Band. Good luck and thanks to you all!
        Michael Kelley
        Playmate Blues Band

      • dano fleming
        Message 3 of 11 , Oct 1, 2011
          One of the best bands west of Manhattan.  Mike Kelly could rip it up.  Played guitar with his teeth and behind his back...the rest of the band held the groove in the pocket.  Definitely worth the honors.  Another Hays band that rocked the 60's.  Kelly and Bisterfeldt went onto become the "new" Blue Things teaming with Chapman, Scott, Day and Burton.  Day and Bisterfeldt provided two drummers for a much fuller sound.  The Playmate Blues Band were all great musicians.  I'll be voting for them.
          dano

          Message 4 of 11 , Oct 2, 2011

            Mike, I caught your band in Dodge City a couple of times at the old Hillcrest Inn. You deserve to be in the HOF. Also played with Cooley from LaCrosse a time or two.

            Ron Bowell

            Message 5 of 11 , Oct 2, 2011
              Good to hear from you. I remember those days and we had a great time. There was also a barroom somewhere near downtown that was fun. A bit scary at times, but people were cool.
              After I left in late 67 I lost track of Gary for a while, but then we played a bit in the mid 70's
              Thanks again and keep in touch,
              All the best,
              Mike

              Thank you & Goodnight

              Message 6 of 11 , Oct 2, 2011
                Dano,
                Good to hear from you, and appreciate the compliments. Great to see the positive interest from fellow players.
                All the Best,
                Mike

                Thank you & Goodnight

                Message 7 of 11 , Oct 2, 2011
                  Dear Dennis(is that correct),
                  Anyway thanks a bunch. It's great to receive the positive interest from people who were following the music scene in those days.
                  Thanks,
                  Mike

                  Thank you & Goodnight

                  Message 8 of 11 , Oct 2, 2011
                    Yes Mike - Dennis is correct (although my name appears as Lester).

                    I remember the band well. I was a member of a Hays band the Tempests and then the Soul Express (I was inducted into the KMHoF with the Soul Express). When I vote this year, the Playmate Blues Band has one of my votes.

                    Good luck!

                    L. Dennis Higgins
                    Educator/Musician

                    Message 9 of 11 , Oct 2, 2011
                    • michael kelley
                      Message 10 of 11 , Oct 2, 2011
                        Hi Dennis,
                        I just spoke to Mike Schmidt Friday. We discussed the Tempests during our talk. He seems to be doing well in Manhattan. Good to talk, and stay in touch!
                        Mike

                        Thank you & Goodnight

                        Message 11 of 11 , Oct 3, 2011
                          Thanks from all of us in the group Whether we get in or not, all the great contacts we've had from players and music lovers are great. Thanks to you all for the memories.
                          Mike Kelley
                          Playmate Blues Band