Re: [KS_and_KC_GenOne_Rockers] Red Dogs

  • Don Hatfield
    Message 1 of 32 , Jan 4, 2010
      In the original Red Dogs: Jack Blackett

      From: Lester D Higgins <dhiggins@...>
      To: KS_and_KC_GenOne_Rockers@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Mon, January 4, 2010 6:02:01 PM
      Subject: Re: [KS_and_KC_GenOne_Rockers] Red Dogs

      I've been meaning to do this so, here goes.

      Version 1 (around 1970)
      Trumpet/vocals - Roger Lewis
      Trumpet/vocals - Alan Sollenberger
      Trombone/lead vocals - Denny Brunk
      Soprano Sax - ?
      Sax - Pat Ryan
      Guitar/vocals - Dave Carey
      Bass/vocals - Dennis Fox Higgins
      Keyboard - Alan Klebenoff
      Drums/lead vocals - Dave Cook

      Version 2 (around 1971)
      Trumpet/vocals - Roger Lewis
      Trumpet/vocals - Alan Sollenberger
      Trombone/lead vocals - Denny Brunk
      Trombone/lead vocals - Kim Farewell
      Guitar/lead vocals - Don Sanderson
      Bass/lead vocals - Dennis Fox Higgins
      Keyboard - Alan Buffalo Steele
      Drums/lead vocals - Dave Cook

      Version 3 (early 1972 in Hawaii)
      Trumpet/vocals - Roger Lewis
      Trumpet/vocals - Alan Sollenberger
      Trombone/lead vocals - Denny Brunk
      Trombone/lead vocals - Kim Farewell
      Guitar/lead vocals - Don Sanderson
      Bass/lead vocals - Dennis Fox Higgins
      Keyboard - Alan Buffalo Steele
      Drums - Eddie Graham

      I'll make corrections as I need to, if I need to, but this seems about right.

      dfh

      L. Dennis Higgins, Ed.D.
      Albuquerque, NM
      Educator
      Musician

      On Jan 4, 2010, at 4:49 PM, ksrocker@... wrote:

      > OK, I'm going to try this again.  Who all were Red Dogs over the years?  I'll kick it off with the early guys:
      > Steve Elliott, Doug Cunningham, Steve Dahl, Butch Neese, Don LIndley, Jerry Knaack, Evan Johnson, Randall Grundy, Kent Leopold and MIke Hatfield.
      >
      > Evan, who can you add?
      >
      > Fox, how about during your tenure with Roger Lewis?
      >
      > Who else can add some names to the list?
      >
      > Bill

    • Ingham, Steve
      Message 32 of 32 , Jan 6, 2010

        Nothing Gary did or does is a surprise to me…..but have NOT heard of the Louisiana backbeat (???)  Not too many drummers I know keep their heel totally down when playing that I know of….most DO seem to use the front portion of their foot with their heel lifted….more power etc…..But again, if he did it…and it worked….God Bless Him!

        I just remember him from Stillwater in the Rubber Band….then on the Mazeppa TV show….then years later he was a “STAR” making movies in Hollywood….never knew what happened in between…….(too much time on the road with Mid-Continent bands I guess – WAY out of touch with what was happening!)

        The photo of the Rubber Band I had said it was taken in 1966….and seems he was at OSU sometime around then….maybe 68 ?? ….but do not know for sure….But the Mazeppa program began in April of 1970 – (according to the website and which seems about right) and Busey was on that program often….then shortly after that I was back and forth from Lawrence to Stillwater….then moved to Lawrence for good in 1971….so totally lost touch with the TULSA boys……Seems like several of them went on to do some pretty good things in “the Biz” though…….(even “Mazeppa” – Gailard Sartain….from Tulsa TV to Hee-Haw to “Movie Star”)  J

        Steve