RE: [KS_and_KC_GenOne_Rockers] Re: The official rock song for Oklahoma!

  • Ingham, Steve
    Message 1 of 36 , May 1, 2009

      As an Okie….I MUST say….your story sounds “Par for the Course” for our legislators and typical backwards way of thinking about issues……..I MUST move to New Mexico – as soon as I can afford it……….perhaps when I hit the lottery………and I don’t even buy tickets – so you know when THAT will be!  But it remains my dream! ( I am SO envious of Dennis Higgins – because he DOES live in New Mexico - just proves how smart he really is for moving there way back when!)

      Your story is so Sad AND True….and it makes me SO PROUD to be an Okie……F*&^% !!!!

      Maybe that’s why I ran away and joined the “Circus” (Mid-Continent) at such a young age!    : )     (and I meant that in a POSITIVE way!! – Best years of my Life!)

      Steve

      Message 36 of 36 , May 4, 2009

        This was something that was sent to me by another Okie ex-Young Raider Terry Pursell…Just to answer your question………Steve  (A LITTLE LONG – BUT ANSWERS YOUR QUESTION – I THINK……..Steve

        On this state song deal.....I guess I am too old to be very hip to the Flaming Lips...of course I do know who they are....but...since the legislators tried to overturn the vote of the people on the internet or whatever...because of a T Shirt and using the F Word down in Bricktown....and since Wayne Coyne apparently all these years mostly has kept his base in OKC...I like him/them better than ever.

        Actually... I have never heard the song in question....If it had been up to me and our generation prolly would have been Never Been to Spain or Home Sweet Oklahoma.....but, as with most media oriented stuff these days...we ain't in control....not the majority vote any more...hehe.....too old!

        You have to ask yourself, what is more communistic?

            A) The Flaming Lips wearing a TShirt

            B) State government putting a public vote to the citizens and then try to retract it 'cause they don't like the outcome.

         I am just a lay person, no expert on this stuff, but, if this was an A/B question....I'd say...the answer is B.

        Ironic as it can be...but for me, this is the crowning  achievement of Gov. Brad Henry.  One that may be remembered far longer than....ok...I'll stop...no...well...it just seems like common sense, which these days the way the political game is played...is lacking.  I will step out on a limb and say the republicans are the most at fault when it comes to using scare tactics and moral rhetoric to influence voters....but...as we know that can change....some times hard to tell the good guys vs. the bad guys cause they keep trading outfits.

        Terry

        Communist Musical Band Wins Epic Oklahoma Battle Over ‘Official State Rock Song’

        via Wonkette » top by Jim Newell on 4/24/09

        Oklahoma , a state as thick and red as artery blood, actually had a pretty fun idea for the kids recently! It opened an online vote — they have the Internet there, too! — for the public to select the state’s Official Rock Song, the winner of which would be passed on to the state legislature for final approval. A number of liberal Internet music weblogs linked to the vote, and so the winner by a large margin was the song “Do You Realize??” by those delightful drug monsters, The Flaming Lips, who are from Oklahoma . The resolution to coronate this song passed the state Senate unanimously… but then it got to the House! And all it takes is one wingnut to start yelling “communism” and “death” to spoil everyone’s fun. And all it takes is one liberal Democrat governor to tell that wingnut to eat a bag of dicks!

        The wingnuts in the House helped vote down the resolution, and one of their pretend-excuses for taking these lazy conservative-base political points was that, uh, one of them there band members wore a communist tee shirt once.

        March 2 was offensive. Ivins wore a red T-shirt with a yellow star-and-sickle logo, underneath a blazer. “I don’t know why he made the choice to do that,” said Rep. Corey Holland, R-Marlow. “The great thing about this country is he has the right to make whatever statement he wants to make. I have the right to be offended by that.”

        Holland said the choice of attire was not appropriate.

        “I felt that the consequences of that were that I would not be able to support that as our state song,” Holland said.

        Another wingnut claimed that he heard one of the Flaming Lips cursing at some point? A few years ago? Something about an alley. (Abortions?) He wants to light them on fire!

        Rep. Mike Reynolds, R-Oklahoma City , also spoke against the measure, saying the band has a reputation for using obscene language, recalling band members used offensive language several years ago when the city of Oklahoma City named an alley after the band.

        “Their lips ought to be on fire,” Reynolds said.

        This made the Flaming Lips very sad, since this guy not only rejected the will of the people but also wants their faces to die in a fucking fire.

        Fortunately brave Democratic communist Gov. Brad Henry — how the hell did he get elected? — stepped in last night and told the wingnuts to fuck off, making him a hero among young adults in the Northeast’s major cities.

        “For more than 20 years ago, Oklahoma ’s own Flaming Lips have produced creative, fun and provocative rock music,” Henry said in a press release Thursday evening. “The music of the Flaming Lips has earned Grammys, glowing critical acclaim and fans all over the world. A truly iconic rock ‘n’ roll band, they are proud ambassadors of their home state. They were clearly the people’s choice, and I intend to honor that vote.”

        The signing of the executive order will be held at 2 p.m. April 28 at the Oklahoma History Center in Oklahoma City .

        And that is how Oklahoma — OKLAHOMA — will have a Flaming Lips song designated as an official, government-approved state symbol.

        Some legislators believe that a shirt worn by Flaming Lips bassist Michael Ivins when the vote winner was announced at the Capitol on