Hiram Bullock

  • ksrocker@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 1, 2008
      Hiram Bullock, onetime barefoot guitarist for Paul Shaffer's World's Most Dangerous Band, dead at the age of 52. Bullock had been fighting a tumor in his throat since January.  He died July 25th.

      Bullock played guitar behind Shaffer from the debut of Late Night With David Letterman in 1982 until 1984; rumor had it that he suffered from an attendance problem. He also played on Steely Dan's Gaucho, Paul Simon's One Trick Pony, Michael Franks' Skin Dive, Barbra Streisand's A Star Is Born, and a whole slew of jazz albums.

      Here's Hiram on how he decided to play guitar:

      I played bass in my=2 0high school rock band (like a million other teenage boys). One day our guitarist, who was slightly older and looked like Eric Clapton, passed out while in the middle of the solo on "Mississippi Queen" (he said later that he was "tired"). Immediately, ten girls jumped up onto the stage, stroking, consoling, and otherwise "reviving him". At that precise moment I decided to switch to guitar.

    • Gregor Volpert
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 1, 2008
        DAMN. I loved Bullock. I only knew him from the Carla Bley Band but those few recordings I heard catapulted him into my top 10.

        RIP, brother Hiram.

        Gregor V
        --
        PORTFOLIOS: