NASA to send Beatles song to deep space!

  • Beth Scalet
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 1, 2008
      how cool is this!

      Greetings songsters.
      I thought I'd pass on some great information that should hopefully
      bring some joy--and wonder--to many. Being a member of NASA's free
      lance press writer, I get new updates before the major news, so I am
      happy to give you the following:

      RELEASE: 08-032

      NASA AND THE BEATLES CELEBRATE ANNIVERSARIES BY BEAMING SONG 'ACROSS
      THE UNIVERSE' INTO DEEP SPACE

      WASHINGTON -- For the first time ever, NASA will beam a song -- The
      Beatles' "Across the Universe" -- directly into deep space at 7 p.m.
      EST on Feb. 4.

      The transmission over NASA's Deep Space Network will commemorate the
      40th anniversary of the day The Beatles recorded the song, as well as
      the 50th anniversary of NASA's founding and the group's beginnings.
      Two other anniversaries also are being honored: The launch 50 years
      ago this week of Explorer 1, the first U.S. satellite, and the
      founding 45 years ago of the Deep Space Network, an international
      network of antennas that supports missions to explore the universe.

      The transmission is being aimed at the North Star, Polaris, which is
      located 431 light years away from Earth. The song will travel across
      the universe at a speed of 186,000 miles per second. Former Beatle
      Sir Paul McCartney expressed excitement that the tune, which was
      principally written by fellow Beatle John Lennon, was being beamed
      into the cosmos.

      "Amazing! Well done, NASA!" McCartney said in a message to the space
      agency. "Send my love to the aliens. All the best, Paul."

      Lennon's widow, Yoko Ono, characterized the song's transmission as a
      significant event.

      "I see that this is the beginning of the new age in which we will
      communicate with billions of planets across the universe," she said.

      It is not the first time Beatles music has been used by NASA; in
      November 2005, McCartney performed the song "Good Day Sunshine"
      during a concert that was transmitted to the International Space
      Station. "Here Comes the Sun," "Ticket to Ride" and "A Hard Day's
      Night" are among other Beatles' songs that have been played to wake
      astronaut crews in orbit.

      Feb. 4 has been declared "Across The Universe Day" by Beatles fans to
      commemorate the anniversaries. As part of the celebration, the public
      around the world has been invited to participate in the event by
      simultaneously playing the song at the same time it is transmitted by
      NASA. Many of the senior NASA scientists and engineers involved in
      the effort are among the group's biggest fans.

      "I've been a Beatles fan for 45 years - as long as the Deep Space
      Network has been around," said Dr. Barry Geldzahler, the network's
      program executive at NASA Headquarters, Washington. "What a joy,
      especially considering that 'Across the Universe' is my personal
      favorite Beatles song."

      NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory in Pasadena, Calif., operates the
      Deep Space Network. For information about the Deep Space Network, go
      to:

      http://deepspace. jpl.nasa. gov/dsn/index. html

      -end-
      * I'll be playing "Across the Universe" at the exact time--it was one
      of my favorite Beatle songs, certainly by John Lennon. It's the one
      song that I thing of him the most of, really. I got to vote on this,
      so I am doubly happy that it was chosen.
      The Beatles to be heard in deep space! Just think of that!
      Peace to all--and tune in and play the song on the noted date and
      time. I even downloaded a count-down clock to make sure that I am
      playing the song with all of the die-hards.
      Keep smiling.
      Jason Greywolf Leigh
      http://jasonleigh. org/greywolf1. htm

      Beth Scalet