Re: SHOP TALK-OK IVE GOT ONE. OR TWO-giiitaaarrzz

  • Allen Blasco
    Message 1 of 22 , Oct 31, 2007
      Hey Dano, Denny, et al,
      I bought a sunburst '57 Stratocaster, tweed case and all, from a used
      guitar shop in KC back in 1974...$450.00, plus tax. It was in great
      condition for it's age; all original, except the volume pot had been
      replaced. I'd been a Gibson man up to that point (SG's, 335's, Les
      Paul's, etc.), but soon fell in love with the sonic versatility of the
      Strat, and from that point on, I was pretty much a Fender bender. For
      the rest of the 70's and well into the 80's, I played that guitar
      about 3/4th's of the time on stage and in the studio. Anyway, I was
      backstage at One Block West one night, getting ready to go on with my
      band Savanna. Dave Maygers came back to send us off, and he and I
      struck up a conversation about my guitar. I told him it was a valuable
      collectors item and Denny, I swear, your brother said "you could
      really get some money for it if you'd get it refinished" (!?!)

      AB

      -- In KS_and_KC_GenOne_Rockers@yahoogroups.com, dano fleming
      <danodeluxe2000@...> wrote:

      > And of course throughout the 70's lots of guitar and bass players
      were stripping off the original paint and refinishing in natural.
      Little did they know at that time they were desicrating a potential
      future gold mine.
      > Hey Dennis...at least you had good reason to...
      > You might support your feelings of the bass over your wife by
      telling her you could actually insure the bass for more than you could
      her. You're still gonna be the only one laughing though!!
      > dano
      >
      > Dennis Maygers <dmaygers@...> wrote:
      > Not as cool as a '51, but here's my story and I'm
      stickin' with it...
      > I bought my 1960 P-Bass at Eagle Jewelry and Loan in Sioux City
      for $125. 1971 -- We (3rd gen Bluethings) were on our way to a gig in
      Vermillion, South Dakota and we stopped to say hi to a guitar player
      several of the guys knew in Sioux city. (I think he went on to play
      with Dennis Lowen in his meletron-based band after the Flippers.
      Can't remember his or their name, but they did a heck of a version of
      "I've seen all good people..." by Yes). Anyway, this guitar player
      told me they had an old Precision under the counter in really bad
      shape. I checked it out...still in the original case (which was
      completely falling apart), and somebody had taken red spray paint and
      run it heavily across the front of the body so it would run down and
      look like dried blood. Yuk! They did the same on the back, but
      didn't even let it dry before they set it on newspaper. You could
      see the newsprint in the paint.
      > The neck was bowed pretty badly, but I thought it had potential.
      I straightened the neck, then gave the guy $10 to hold the bass until
      we came back thru on Monday. If the neck still held, I'd give him the
      balance of $115.
      > The rest is history. I haven't touched the neck once since then.
      I, of course, stripped the bad paint job (I know, the guys on
      antique's roadshow are cringing), but underneath was a really great
      looking piece of wood for the body, with really nice grain running up
      into the upper cutaway.
      > I've played the bass so many times in so many places...so many
      great memories...I tell my wife if our house catches on fire, I'm
      throwing her out the window then hand-carrying the bass with me...She
      laughs...I don't.

      > "L. Dennis Higgins" <dhiggins@...> wrote:
      > Hey - I still have my '51 Fender P-bass. That guitar is worth a few
      > pennies. You can see video of it on the 2006 HoF DVD.
      >

      > Dennis Fox Higgins
      > A few Kansas bands - a few New Mexican bands.
      >

      > On Oct 30, 2007, at 9:13 AM, ksrocker@... wrote:
      >
      > > I think Rodney Lay said one time a couple of years ago that he has
      > > about forty bass guitars of various vintages. Maybe this will rattle
      > > his cage enough to give us some specifics to let you bass players
      > > drool on your shoes this morning. How about it, Rod? Are you out
      > > there this morning?
      > >
      > > Bill
      > >
      > > In a message dated 10/30/2007 10:05:20 A.M. Central Daylight Time,
      > > danodeluxe2000@... writes:
      > >> Gear stories are just like fish stories....it's always the one that
      > >> got away. I could retire on the guitars I used to own but parted
      > >> with over the years. My first strat was candy apple red and was
      > >> bought used in 1965 which means it was probably a 1962 or 1963.
      That

    • CCruz74583@aol.com
      Message 2 of 22 , Nov 1, 2007
        In 1967, I decided to trade in my UniVox electric guitar and upgrade to a better guitar.  The neck was always needing to be adjusted and the vibrato bar was a pain to keep in tune. So, I went to Kutz Music in Parsons, where I had originally obtained the UniVox.  A very young salesman, younger than me at the time, shows me a Fender Coronado II semi-hollow bodied guitar and a Start, both at the exact same price.  He then goes about playing the Start quite a bit longer than needed for a demonstration, showing off his fretboard and rock skills.  I wasn't impressed and since I did not have an amp at the time, opted for the semi-hollow bodied Coronado II.

        I finally got a Fender Deluxe amp and when I joined the Great Awakening that morphed into the Showmen, I played trumpet most of the time but was able to play back up, rhythm guitar on several tunes that did not require brass.  Had some feedback problems and the amp wasn't loud enough, but what the heck......I was only rhythm.

        A few more years down the road, I took the Coronado II to a large KC guitar store in hopes of trading it in towards a Martin acoustic.  They literally laughed at me and told me my guitar was a piece of junk.......because when Fender sold to CBS, the product was no longer well made and the Coronado II was not a good guitar.  I think they offered me about $100. max for a trade in.  I decided I didn't need to get rid of the Fender and went to Butler Music in Ottawa and bought one of his best Alvarez acoustics.(made in Japan)

        In the past, I used to play a lot more guitar at churches, etc.  I still have all of the above equipment, but have not played any of them in a rock situation since my early days of the Showmen.

        Chris Cruz

      • Lester D Higgins
        Message 3 of 22 , Nov 1, 2007
          Chris,
          I'd sure love to seeplay that Coronado II sometime. I had
          a Coronado (can't remember if it was I or II) once and
          loved the way it sounded. Didn't think it was junk at all.
          In fact, the recordings I have of this bass are very good.

          Dennis Fox Higgins
          Some Kansas bands and some New Mexican bands.