NSTAR 06-B preliminary flight announcement

  • Mark Conner
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 19, 2006
      NSTAR Flight 06-B is tentatively scheduled for Saturday, December 2, at 8:30am CST.  Launch site TBD, but will likely be at my in-laws' west of Omaha (approx. 1.5 mi E of Two Rivers State Park).  Primary APRS will be N9XTN-11 on 144.34 MHz and backup APRS will be N9XTN-12 on 144.39 MHz.

      If testing and integration is completed in time, we will have a 2m PSK31 beacon experiment on 147.585 using FM modulation.  While FM modulation is not the best use of PSK31, we're hoping that it will be decodable farther than an equivalent 1200 baud AFSK signal.  Receive setup should be pretty easy - just supply the audio signal to your computer and run one of the many PSK31 decode programs like DigiPan.

      Balloon type is also TBD.  I have 1200g Kaymonts, 1500g Scientific Sales, and a 2000g Kaysam on hand.  I will probably use the Kaymont unless the surface wind and track forecast cooperate for use of the 2000g balloon.

      We can use both some more on the ground crew and one or two chasers downrange.  Typical distances this time of year are about 100 miles, which would put the landing in west central Iowa (say from Anita south to Bedford for a west Omaha launch).

      73 de Mark N9XTN