Urgent/Simple Support for Public Broadcasting

  • Carol G Newman
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 3, 2011
      This just in.
      cn

      > From: "170 Million Americans for Public Broadcasting" <info@...
      > >
      > Date: October 3, 2011 1:20:03 PM PDT
      >

      > In an unprecedented move, Rep. Denny Rehberg � Chairman of the House
      > LHHS Appropriations Subcommittee � has just released a draft funding
      > proposal without it being considered by his subcommittee or the full
      > Appropriations Committee.
      >
      > This bill contains three very troubling proposals:
      > The bill eliminates advance funding for local public broadcasting
      > stations. Since the 1970�s Congress has approved a budget for
      > public broadcasting two years in advance to prevent undue government
      > influence over public broadcasting programming.
      >
      > It prohibits stations from using vital federal funding to purchase
      > NPR programming, which millions of listeners rely upon every day.
      >
      > It eliminates funding for Ready To Learn � a key program that funds
      > children�s educational programming on public television; programming
      > that has been proven to improve student achievement across the
      > country.
      > While this bill has not been approved by the House, it will serve as
      > a starting point for negotiations over a final appropriations bill.
      > It sends a clear signal: Federal support for public broadcasting is
      > in serious jeopardy!
      >
      > Please call the office of your U.S. Representative TODAY at (202)
      > 225-0855 to express your support for public broadcasting.
      >
      > Please leave a message urging your representative to stand up for
      > this essential public service.
      >
      > If you would prefer to send a letter to your representative, click
      > here.
      >
      > Thank you!
      >
      > Jeff Nelson and Stacey Karp
      > 170 Million Americans for Public Broadcasting
      >
      > Join us on Facebook
      >
      > 170 Million Americans for Public Broadcasting is a collaboration of
      > public radio and television stations, national organizations,
      > producers and our viewers and listeners throughout the country in
      > favor of a strong public media in the United States. This project
      > receives no government funding.
      >
      > Privacy Policy | 170 Million Americans
      >
      > 170 Million Americans for Public Broadcasting
      > 480 Cedar Street St. Paul, MN 55101, USA
      > �2011 All rights reserved

    • jaysisland
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 3, 2011
        Here's a direct link, re Carol's previous post, to contact your representative online:

        http://www.capwiz.com/170ma/issues/alert/?alertid=41878516&PROCESS=Take+Action

        Apropos of that, pending the election to replace David Wu, does anyone know whether we currently have a (temporary) Congressional representative?

        Marc