Pledge Drive

  • Elizabeth Menetrey
    Message 1 of 22 , Jul 1, 2002
      Hello everyone...
      Yes the summer pledge drive starts next Monday, July 8th until
      Sunday, July 14th. Pledge drives are a part of community radio. Everyone
      needs to participate, if not on air, then by doing a phone shift. It's just
      3 hours and we have a lavish buffet planned. (Not just doughnuts!) Please
      sign up! I need help esp. on afternoons and evenings and on the weekend.
      Pitch partners are needed too! Sign up sheets are outside the studio door.
      Thank you in advance....
      Elizabeth
    • Ms Vaquera
      Message 2 of 22 , Jul 30, 2003
        Just my two cents worth. If you are not interested, please don't read
        further.

        Doing Pledge Drive for two weeks is grueling to do and certainly gets
        grueling to listen to. My show is Tuesday nights, and I got stuck doing it
        twice! There was no energy and it was really hard. I support and love
        KMUN, don't get me wrong. I do the best I can.

        Thank GOD for Jack Harris and Jill Merril and Misty who stayed late (9-11PM)
        and were enthusaistic and fun! We actually made the challenge. And Spud
        Siegel who came up and played music.... They were all great. I honestly
        think since we are having three pledge drives a year, that they ought to be
        a week long, only....or EVERYONE should have to do it twice. We had so much
        fun last drive when it was only a week! We got in with enthusiasm and got
        out. It was NOT grueling.

        Oh, and for the record. I did NOT sign up to do Pat Buff's show the second
        week, although my name appeared on the sign up list. Speaking of grueling.
        Jim Hill and I did her show for Pledge Drive one week, and it was painful.
        Jim and Pat and I were good friends and we miss her. Enough is enough!

        Thank you to everyone who worked so hard this pledge drive. It does make
        KMUN what it is and we all love that.

        Again...just my opinion...everyone has one, I'm sure.

        Jane Herrold
        Cafe Vaquera

      • Elizabeth Menetrey
        Message 3 of 22 , Mar 4, 2004
          If you did not come to the programmers meeting to sign up for a pitch or
          phone shift, please let me know what you can do. Here's what we need next
          week-

          Pitching-
          "Smoking in the 70's" with Bill Brooks, Thursday, March 11th from 1-3
          "Thistle and Shamrock"- pledge drive show, Friday, March 12th from 1-2
          "Celtic Aire"- with Michael Butler, Saturday, March 13th from 3-5

          Phones-
          Friday, March 12th from 1-4 p.m.
          Saturday, March 13th from 7-10 a.m. and 7-10 p.m.
          Sunday, March 14th from 7-10 a.m., 10 a.m. to 1p.m. and 7-10 p.m.

          I'll post the shifts for week 2 (March 15th to 21st) next week.

          Please help!!

          Thanks,
          Elizabeth
        • Elizabeth Menetrey
          Message 4 of 22 , Mar 8, 2004
            PLEASE HELP ANSWER PHONES

            Saturday, March 13th from 7-10 a.m. or 6-10 p.m.

            Sunday, March 14th from 7-10 a.m. or 5-7 p.m.

            Monday, March 15th- 1-4 p.m. or 7-10 p.m.

            Tuesday, March 16th 1-4 p.m. or 4-7 p.m.

            Wednesday, March 17th 4-7 p.m.

            Thursday, March 18th 4-7 p.m.

            Friday, March 19th 7-10 a.m. or 4-7 p.m. or 7-10 p.m.

            Saturday, March 20th 7-10 a.m. or 10 -1 p.m. or 7-10 p.m.

            Sunday, March 21st 7-10 a.m. or 1-4 p.m., 4-7 p.m. or 7-10 p.m.

            THANK YOU!
          • nancy@kmun.org
            Message 5 of 22 , Mar 11, 2004
              Kudos!

              Dave Ambrose did a nice job of back-announcing what the previous show did,
              really encouragingly....

              Another show wasn't getting called, but they didn't scold, just kept
              plugging the POSITIVE reasons KMUN deserves your monetary support

              Remember,
              1. SCOLDING your audience never helps (and it can drag down your own
              energy). Love your listeners.

              2. ENTREATING your audience is ok.

              3. PREACHING your love of the station, or of specific programs is GREAT!!
              Look for those YELLOW CARDS if you get stuck on your case. And LISTEN to
              other's pitches - it'll help give you new ideas ("I like that one, I'll use
              it" or "I DIDN't like that angle - I'd have said THIS...."

              4. Pick a specific THANK-YOU GIFT for each break and talk briefly about it
              and it's donor.

              5. KMUN is not a place that exists in Astoria - "WE" are, when on the
              mike, in the air over about 40 cities!! Try to refrain from saying "DOWN
              THERE IN GARIBALDI" say "IN Garibaldi". "IN Gray's Harbor" We don't
              want them to feel distant from "us," but part of us!

              I'm hearing some great success stories - keep energized, have fun and speak
              your KMUN heart!! It WILL be over before we know it, and what'll we have
              to show? Wa-HOO!
            • Carol G. Newman
              Message 6 of 22 , Mar 11, 2004
                Re #5: Alan on Ann's health show said that if he lived in Tillamook, he
                would give $100 just to get us to stop saying down in Tillamook. Of course
                he's a mental health counselor! (smile).
                thanks for the good advice nance. c.

                > From: nancy@...
                > Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2004 13:51:35 -0700
                > To: kmunies@yahoogroups.com
                > Subject: [KMUN] Pledge Drive
                >
                > Kudos!
                >
                > Dave Ambrose did a nice job of back-announcing what the previous show did,
                > really encouragingly....
                >
                > Another show wasn't getting called, but they didn't scold, just kept
                > plugging the POSITIVE reasons KMUN deserves your monetary support
                >
                > Remember,
                > 1. SCOLDING your audience never helps (and it can drag down your own
                > energy). Love your listeners.
                >
                > 2. ENTREATING your audience is ok.
                >
                > 3. PREACHING your love of the station, or of specific programs is GREAT!!
                > Look for those YELLOW CARDS if you get stuck on your case. And LISTEN to
                > other's pitches - it'll help give you new ideas ("I like that one, I'll use
                > it" or "I DIDN't like that angle - I'd have said THIS...."
                >
                > 4. Pick a specific THANK-YOU GIFT for each break and talk briefly about it
                > and it's donor.
                >
                > 5. KMUN is not a place that exists in Astoria - "WE" are, when on the
                > mike, in the air over about 40 cities!! Try to refrain from saying "DOWN
                > THERE IN GARIBALDI" say "IN Garibaldi". "IN Gray's Harbor" We don't
                > want them to feel distant from "us," but part of us!
                >
                > I'm hearing some great success stories - keep energized, have fun and speak
                > your KMUN heart!! It WILL be over before we know it, and what'll we have
                > to show? Wa-HOO!
                >

                > Check out our www.kmun.org/calendar
                >

                > Yahoo! Groups Links

              • Ms Vaquera
                Message 7 of 22 , Mar 10, 2008
                  With the upcoming Pledge Drive, I'd like to remind the staff and volunteers at KMUN that many members of the public will be in and out of KMUN during those days. It's the nature of the beast. Many people have live guest performing on their shows during this time. This is a wonderful thing. Many of the members come up to see the station and meet us all. Again, the nature of the beast.

                  You don't have to LIKE me or any of the musicians or even my radio show to know that this is a good thing for KMUN.

                  It takes a village to even GET these folks/ performers/ artist to come in and help us raise money. I worked my ass off getting Fisher Poets lined up for various shows this year, and I'm sorry if this disrupted the flow of the rotunda, but that was about the best week we have had on the air in ages! The live on-air interactions were great! Josef. Albert. They were brilliant interviewing these folks. This area has some wonderful and special artists that want to help KMUN. It breaks my heart when they are not appreciated and welcomed when they arrive.

                  Last pledge drive, for example, I had 3 people drive an accumulation of 300 miles to play for free for two hours on Cafe Vaquera to raise money. It would have been nice if they were NOT treated like vagrants off the street coming in to steal Sprite out of the cooler. OK? Sorry if the guitars are big. Sorry if the keyboard is fun to use and we have to haul it in. It DOES make for great radio and we DO raise a chunk of change every pledge drive on Cafe Vaquera. I wish we all felt welcome up there.

                  Suggestions: There are offices upstairs, right? Could the people that don't want to see the public, work from the offices upstairs? I know the public and artists and eccentric programmers can be a pain to the office workers/ secretaries, but it's what fuels community radio! I also know that the office work has to be done, as well. It takes it all, but we need a "HAPPY FACE" when the public comes to see us, and this happens during storms and during pledge drive.

                  Perhaps we could move the couch over by the window or something. So, there is not a gauntlet to run to get to the air room. This way, once in the air room, we are out of the way. We ARE there to do shows, you realize. It really is FUN! (Having wonderful guests on the air.) We all work hard making our shows top quality, involving hours of preparation at home and hundreds of dollars of our own money spent on LPs and CDs, etc.

                  I hope the Pledge drive is fun for everyone including the talent, the volunteers, the staff, the office help/ secretaries, the musicians, the programmers and everyone else. I want to easily find ourselves enjoying the company of each other, the artists and the public, and I wish that the KMUN building was a friendly and loving place to visit.
                  Thank you for being supportive in this effort this time and every time.

                  Jane E. Herrold

                  Need to know the score, the latest news, or you need your HotmailĀ®-get your "fix".
                • Dave Kruger
                  Message 8 of 22 , Mar 10, 2008
                    Ms Vaquera wrote:

                    > You don't have to LIKE me or any of the musicians or even my radio show
                    > to know that this is a good thing for KMUN.

                    Terrific rant, Ms. Vaquera. You got me awake at an early hour today. May
                    your macchiato be hot and spicy today, just like you.

                    BTW, I like you, and LOVE your show, especially during Pledge Drive, just
                    before the Fisher Poets Gathering (Densmore rocks!), and on weeks with a
                    Tuesday night in them.

                    --
                    Dave Kruger
                    Astoria, OR
                    Message 9 of 22 , Mar 17, 2008
                      Everyone,

                      The pledge drive is cooking!!

                      Thanks to everyone for putting in the great energy, time and passion!
                      (plus food!)

                      We need a jazz pitch partner on Thursday from 6-8 PM! Plus a
                      Broadway music lover to help with Lullaby of Broadway from 3-4 PM on
                      Wednesday.

                      Also need phone people for 7-10 PM on Saturday (Shady Grove and K-
                      No) and 1-4 on Sunday (Classic R&R and Country Swing)

                      SIGN UP! GREAT PROGRAMS!! JOIN THE PARTY!!

                      Elizabeth
                    • Elizabeth
                      Message 10 of 22 , Sep 15, 2010
                        I will be updating this frequently as people sign up. Don't wait- get
                        your favorite shift now!!

                        PHONES-
                        Tuesday 9/21- 7-10AM
                        Wed. 9/22- 10- 1PM, 6-9 PM
                        Thurs. 9/23- 7-10AM, 10- 1PM, 1-4 PM, 6-9PM
                        Fri. 9/24- 7-10AM, 10- 1PM, 1-4 PM, 6-9PM
                        Sat. 9/25- 10-1PM, 1-5PM, 6-9PM
                        Sun. 9/26- 7-10AM, 10- Noon, 1-5PM, 6-9PM
                        Mon.- 9/27- 7-10AM, 10-1PM

                        PITCHING-
                        Monday 9/20- Morning Classics with Bob- 7-8 AM
                        Friday 9/24- Thistle & Shamrock with Eliz.- 1-2PM
                        Saturday Night Party with Gordo- 8-9ish
                        Sun 9/26- Opera with Wilma- 9-noon

                        Monday 9/27-

                        Morning Classics with Bob- 7-8 AM

                        Lost Highway with John Stevenson from 10AM to noon

                        Blues in the Daylight with Joey from 1-3PM (Grand Finale)

                      • Elizabeth
                        Message 11 of 22 , Sep 16, 2010
                          I will be updating this frequently as people sign up. Don't wait- get
                          your favorite shift now!!

                          PHONES-
                          Wed. 9/22- 6-9 PM

                          Thurs. 9/23- 10- 1PM, 1-4 PM, 6-9PM

                          Fri. 9/24- 10- 1PM, 1-4 PM, 6-9PM

                          Sat. 9/25- 10-1PM, 1-5PM, 6-9PM

                          Sun. 9/26- 7-10AM, 10- Noon, 1-5PM, 6-9PM

                          Mon.- 9/27- 7-10AM, 10-1PM

                          PITCHING-
                          Sat. 9/25- Saturday Night Party with Gordo- 8-9PM

                          Sun 9/26- Opera with Wilma- 9-noon

                          Mon 9/27- Morning Classics with Bob- 7-8 AM
                          -Lost Highway with John Stevenson from 10-noon

                        • Elizabeth
                          Message 12 of 22 , Feb 25, 2011
                            There is a sign-up sheet for food on the studio entrance door
                            (Yellow- can't miss it) We need lunches and dinners from March 4th
                            to March 13th... sandwiches, casseroles, whatever you can do!

                            THANK YOU!!

                            Also there will be a 1 hour pitch workshop on Monday at 3. If you
                            want to brush up on your 'asking for money' skills, please stop by.

                            The sign up sheets for phone and pitching are up... I look forward to
                            seeing your names!

                            As you might know, our spring drive is always our biggest of the
                            year. We go full out.. this year the funding for public media is in
                            the balance plus we are no longer the only public station in the
                            area .. so the stakes are higher.

                            Thanks again for all you do. This is truly a group effort to keep
                            this great station we love going strong. Kudos to you!!

                            Elizabeth
                          • Elizabeth
                            Message 13 of 22 , Aug 3, 2011
                              Everyone,

                              Pledge drive is coming. Sign up sheets will be up by Friday. There
                              will be a 'how to ask for money' workshop on Wednesday, August 17th
                              at 3 PM and 6 PM. Please come. There is a changing climate in our
                              local radio world- competition from OPB and other stations, Congress
                              cutting funds for equipment acquisition and more. We need to be more
                              focused during the drive on making our case to listeners- Why are we
                              important to them? Pick something- variety of music, world news,
                              local public affairs, lost pets, etc.. and talk about it with passion
                              and sincerity. Don't whine. If you believe in what you're saying- the
                              listeners know it.

                              Thanks for all you do to create great radio!

                              Elizabeth
                            • Elizabeth
                              Message 14 of 22 , Aug 16, 2011
                                Yikes!! Pledge Drive starts in 3 days and there is so much to
                                do!!! YOUR HELP IS NEEDED!!
                                If you haven't signed up for a shift yet, email me or sign up on the
                                studio door!

                                PHONES-

                                Friday, August 19th- 1-4 PM, 6-9 PM
                                Saturday, August 20th- 1-4 PM, 6-9 PM
                                Sunday, August 21st- 10 AM- 1 PM
                                Monday, August 22nd- 6-9 PM

                                PITCHING-

                                Saturday, August 20th- Morning Classics- 7-9 AM, Saturday Night
                                Party- 8-10 PM
                                Sunday, August 21st- Country Swing- 3-5 PM, Nachtmusik- 8:30-10 PM
                                Monday, August 22nd- the fabulous BLUES IN THE DAYLIGHT 1-3 PM

                                FOOD-

                                Saturday, August 20th- anything please!!!! lunch, dinner or in between!

                                THANKS!!
                              • Elizabeth
                                Message 15 of 22 , Aug 22, 2011
                                  Hey everyone,

                                  We are over $9500. as of 3 PM Monday!! YEAH!

                                  HELP is still needed for the following!!!

                                  PITCHING
                                  Thursday, August 25th from 1-3- Stuck in the 60's with yours truly
                                  Friday, August 26th from 8-10 PM- Caribbean Moon with Mark
                                  Saturday, August 27th from 8-10 Saturday Night Party with Gordo
                                  Sunday, August 28th from 9 to noon- Opera with Wilma, 8:30 to 10 PM-
                                  Nachtmusik with David Hall

                                  PHONES-
                                  Saturday- 7-10 AM, 6-9 PM
                                  Sunday, 9-Noon, 6-9 PM
                                  Monday- 7-10 AM
                                • amy willis
                                  Message 16 of 22 , Aug 22, 2011
                                    I can do phones, either shift on Sunday!
                                    Gladly!

                                    Amy

                                    --
                                    http://flavors.me/amymwillis

                                    Message 17 of 22 , Aug 22, 2011
                                      Hello,
                                      I will answer phones 6-9pm Saturday.
                                      Todd

                                      Sent from my iPhone

                                      On Aug 22, 2011, at 3:52 PM, Elizabeth <elizm@...> wrote:

                                      > Hey everyone,
                                      >
                                      > We are over $9500. as of 3 PM Monday!! YEAH!
                                      >
                                      > HELP is still needed for the following!!!
                                      >
                                      > PITCHING
                                      > Thursday, August 25th from 1-3- Stuck in the 60's with yours truly
                                      > Friday, August 26th from 8-10 PM- Caribbean Moon with Mark
                                      > Saturday, August 27th from 8-10 Saturday Night Party with Gordo
                                      > Sunday, August 28th from 9 to noon- Opera with Wilma, 8:30 to 10 PM-
                                      > Nachtmusik with David Hall
                                      >
                                      > PHONES-
                                      > Saturday- 7-10 AM, 6-9 PM
                                      > Sunday, 9-Noon, 6-9 PM
                                      > Monday- 7-10 AM

                                    • Elizabeth
                                      Message 18 of 22 , Mar 5, 2012
                                        Keep those emails coming!

                                        Thanks Mindy, Margarita, Merianne, Tom, Debby, Carolyn and Bonnie,

                                        Still need:

                                        PHONES-
                                        7-10 AM- March 12th, 16th, 17th, 18th and 19th

                                        10 AM-1 PM- March 11th, 18th

                                        1-4 PM- March 12th, 14th, 16th, 17th, 18th, 19th

                                        6-9 PM- March 10th, 11th, 16th, 17th, 18th

                                        DINNERS-
                                        Any day except March 12th, 15th and 17th

                                        LUNCHES-
                                        March 10th, 12th, 13th, 15th

                                        THANKS!!!
                                      • Elizabeth
                                        Message 19 of 22 , Aug 6, 2013
                                          Summer Pledge Drive is almost here! Friday, August 16th to Monday,
                                          August 26th

                                          Phone shifts are open!

                                          Mondays through Fridays- 7- 10 AM, 10 AM- Noon, 1-4 PM or 6-9 PM

                                          Saturdays- 7-10 AM, 11- 2 PM, 2-5 PM or 6-9 PM

                                          Sundays- 7-10 AM, 1-3 PM, 3-5 PM

                                          The few that are filled are:

                                          Friday- 8/16- 1-4 PM
                                          Tues- 8/20- 7-10 AM
                                          Wed.- 8/21- 1-4 PM
                                          Thurs.- 8/22- 10- Noon
                                          Friday- 8/23- 10- Noon, 1-4 PM

                                          All others are open! Sign up now for your favorite shift!!
                                        • Elizabeth
                                          Message 20 of 22 , Mar 10, 2014
                                            Ho Ho Ho!! Pledge Drive starts Friday!

                                            There are MANY open phone shifts. Our wonderful volunteer Helen who
                                            covered many mornings has moved away, so we really need help there!

                                            7-10 AM shifts open every day!! Friday the 14th to Monday the 24th

                                            10 AM- 1 PM shifts open every day except- 3/14, 3/15, 3/19, 3/21 and
                                            3/24

                                            1-4 PM- open every day except 3/14, 3/18 and 3/20

                                            6-9 PM- open everyday except 3/17, 3/18 & 3/22

                                            PLEASE sign up for your shift soon. Every volunteer should do at
                                            least one pitch or phone shift (or provide food) during the drive!!!
                                            (Pitch people must have taken training)

                                            Also- FOOD SCHEDULE is up.. We need Lunches and Dinners

                                            Pledge Drives keep Community Radio on the air!! We anticipate another
                                            wild ride! Hop on and away we go!!!

                                            Elizabeth
                                          • Elizabeth
                                            Message 21 of 22 , Mar 9, 2016
                                              One week away!

                                              A couple of phone shifts need filing-

                                              7-10 AM- Wednesday, March 16th (opening bell!) Tuesday, March 22nd (last day)

                                              Pitching!

                                              Morning Classics (you don't have to be a classical programmer- just like classical music!)

                                              Thursday- March 17th- 7-8 AM
                                              Friday, March 18th- 7-8 AM
                                              Saturday, March 19th- 7-9 AM
                                              Monday, March 21st- 7-8 AM

                                              Evening Jazz- Thursday, March 17th- 6-8 PM

                                              Caribbean Moon- Friday, March 18th- 8-10 PM

                                              Shady Grove- Saturday, March 19th- 6-8 PM

                                              LEND A HAND! THANKS!