Immigration and 'The Sanctity of America'

  • BoLt1351@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 1, 2004
      While listening to tapes of last weekends show in my car on the way to and
      from work, I have sat through two callers who felt the need to voice their
      feelings on the topic of immigration. I wonder what people who have views like them
      who claim that we should 'crackdown on immigration' or 'get tougher on the
      border' would think if they ever walked in the shoes of some of these
      immigrants.

      The attitude they espouse is nothing less than sickening. And being as
      uninformed on the topic as the two on Franks show were leaves one vulnerable to
      become fodder for fascist demogogues and right wing xenophobics and
      isolationists. More often than not, the racism of such positions are thinly masked by lies
      which state that immigrants are coming to kill us, to commit terror against us
      or to steal our jobs or 'take over'. It's a shame that the bulk of coporate
      radio is taken up by those who tell such lies.

      Frank was right in pointing out that we should condemn the exploitation of
      undocumented workers by US businesses. But, one thing left out of the
      'discussion' was the part that US policy and action (especially Free Trade agreements)
      play in creating the conditions that leads to people from Mexico wanting to
      immigrate here.

      I stand in solidarity with undocumenteed workers and against the ignorance,
      xenophobia and greed that wishes to oppress and/or them. I stand against the
      callous and fearful anti-immigrant sentiment that is so prevalent today. I stand
      against the manical trade regime that the United States currently champions.
      The compassionless anti-immigrant attitude (which often borders *pardon the
      pun* on fascism is very unbecoming of my country. I agree with much of what is
      (sort of old) resolution by the Arizona Green Party:
      http://www.gp.org/minutes/sb_az.html

      In his book 'Children of NAFTA', David Bacon eloquently writes,
      'Global inequality produces insecurity and economic desperation, which forces
      people from their countries of origin. According to Migrant Watch
      International, based in Geneva, more than 130 million people today live in countries
      other than the ones where they were born. Migration from Mexico to the United
      States is a product of that inequality.
      No matter how many walls are built on the border, no matter how many National
      Guard Troops or helicopters patrol it, workers will still cross, looking for
      a future. There's no more eloquent testimony to this than the deaths of 1,420
      women and men - workers and farmers - who perished in the desert during the
      six years between 1996 and 2002, making the journey from northern Mexico into
      the United States, according to the Mexican Foreign Relations Office.
      U.S. workers become victims of the same free trade economy, losing their jobs
      when their plants close or when the shrinking tax base that pays for social
      services leads to job cuts. And when this happens, they are told to find
      someone to blame - workers in Mexico for taking their jobs, or immigrant workers in
      the United States. As a result anti-immigrant hysteria has now become a
      serious problem, as migrants have become an integral part of the workforce.

      Here is an article from the LA Weekly on the topic:
      http://www.laweekly.com/ink/04/02/features-cooper.php

      “The U.S.-Mexican border has been 10 times deadlier to Mexican immigrants in
      the last 10 years than was the whole 28-year history of the Berlin Wall [to
      East Germans],” says Wayne Cornelius, director of the Center for Comparative
      Immigration Studies at UC San Diego.

      Over the entire history of the Berlin Wall, 287 people perished trying to
      cross it.

      Since the Clinton administration implemented the current U.S. border
      strategy, more than 2,500 Mexicans have died. Or 2,600. Or 2,700 by some counts. ‰

      Here is an article on the price Mexicans pay for NAFTA:

      And here is a pretty good place for resources on immigration activism and
      what one religiously oriented activism organization is doing:
      http://www.afsc.org/immigrants-rights/default.htm

    • BoLt1351@aol.com
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 1, 2004
        Sorry about the many punctuation and spelling mistakes and words left out of
        my immigration rant. :o)

        Peace,

        Tim