Re: [KG-UV_Commander] KG-UV3X PRO

  • Jardy Dawson
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 3, 2013
      Go with the KG -UV 6 and the UV6 Commander software.  Works great!

      Jardy Dawson
      WA7JRD

      Sent using hammer and chisel on slate.

      On Jul 3, 2013, at 19:56, "Bernard" <bscruz@...> wrote:

      I have been using the commander software for my KG-UV3D for some time and it works great.

      However, for my SAR team, we need to have a radio that does the 2.5KHz step to get some of the public service frequencies so I was looking at the UV3X PRO which does the 2.5 step.

      Will the KG-UV Commander software still program that radio? The guy at Powerwerx is telling me I have to buy the RT Systems software and that it is the only software that will work... is that true? do I need to get a new cable and software for the 3X PRO?

    • David A. Behar
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 3, 2013
        Hi there,

        First, I'm sure that the KG-UV Commander software won't let you enter a 2.5 kHz channel (like 155.2575 mHz), so as of now you are probably out of luck.

        However, if the KG-UV3X PRO has the same internal memory map as the earlier Wouxun dual-band handheld radios, it might be possible for the developer (Jim, KC8UNJ) to update the software.

        Perhaps a good first step is for us to determine whether the PRO does in fact have the same memory map.  If you can program the radio manually, and then use OWX software to download a memory image, I can probably figure that out.

        But another option (as someone has already pointed out) is the KG-UV6D radio.  I have it and it works great.  (But I did one mod on that radio to make it work better for me... it is possible to lock the keyboard but not the channel knob, and it requires so little torque to turn the knob that you can change channels without realizing it.  Therefore, I just used clear fingernail polish to set the knob so it won't move, and I can restore functionality with fingernail polish remover if I ever want to do so.)

        David / K7DB

        On Wed, Jul 3, 2013 at 7:56 PM, Bernard <bscruz@...> wrote:

        I have been using the commander software for my KG-UV3D for some time and it works great.

        However, for my SAR team, we need to have a radio that does the 2.5KHz step to get some of the public service frequencies so I was looking at the UV3X PRO which does the 2.5 step.

        Will the KG-UV Commander software still program that radio? The guy at Powerwerx is telling me I have to buy the RT Systems software and that it is the only software that will work... is that true? do I need to get a new cable and software for the 3X PRO?

      • Bernard
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 4, 2013
          Thanks for all the feedback - I guess the 6 is the way to go - Will I be able to use the same programming cable?