RE: [KG-UV_Commander] Re: Can't get USB programming cable to work...

  • John L. Wilkerson Jr.
    Message 1 of 19 , Jan 7, 2013
      Make sure you use the same try

      Apologies for not trimming quoted material.  Windows phone editors Suck!

      Date: 01/07/13 08:49:59

      This has been covered very thoroughly in the Baofeng UV-5R group and is referenced in another reply in this group on this topic.  It really doesn't need to be 're-invented' again!

      -Bob KK4ATB

      --- In KG-UV_Commander@yahoogroups.com, "Andrew Norrie"  wrote:

      > WARNING. If you get code 10 error on trying to load the drivers you have a Chinese copy of the Prolific chip that does the USB to serial. This is a KNOWN problem. It might work under Linux but that is not a lot of use. Prolific changed the drivers some time ago with a trap that if it detects a clone chip it will not load the drivers and you get a code 10 if you look in device manager.
      >
      > Cheers, Andy GM1MQE
      >
      > --- In KG-UV_Commander@yahoogroups.com, Jardy Dawson  wrote:
      > >
      > > Uninstall the driver, Then install the driver before plugging in the cable.  Should work better.
      > >

      > > Jardy Dawson WA7JRD Ham Radio Sent by WHO CARES!!!
      > >

      > > >________________________________

    • Thomas Carpenter
      Message 2 of 19 , Jan 7, 2013
        Mike,
        I found that on a few occasions I had to uninstall some usb ports in device manager and drivers reboot and start over loading drivers and plugging in the USB to serial converter. The dell laptop was funny loaded Wouxun but not Icom.

        Tom Kb3hg

        Message 3 of 19 , Jan 7, 2013
          Howdy Tom.

          Well... as I said... I posted a website here that I found after doing a Google
          search for installing the Prolific 3.2.0.0 drivers Steps 1 thru 5 is what I was
          getting  After following Steps 6-11... things started to work.

          Strange... the laptop in which I have the programming cable working on is
          a Dell E4300... and I had no problems in getting the cable/drivers to work
          properly on that computer.  However... the desktop computer is a Dell... and
          I had a problem getting it to work properly on this computer.

          After following Steps 6 thru 11 on that website... I installed the KG-UV
          Commander software and read/wrote data to my radio.  I then installed
          software for my Kenwood TH-F6A HT and read/wrote data to that radio.
          I like being able to use the same USB programming cable for both of
          these radios... as my Kenwood programming cable has a BIG DB-25
          connector on it.

          Again... this is the website that I used info on for getting everything to
          work properly...

          Mike - N1EVH

          Message 4 of 19 , Jan 8, 2013
            On 1/7/2013 1:08 PM, n1evh wrote:

            > Well... as I said... I posted a website here that I found after doing a Google
            > search for installing the Prolific 3.2.0.0 drivers Steps 1 thru 5 is what I was getting
            >After following Steps 6-11... things started to work.

            Yes,
            In that document, steps 6-11 are the steps that *actually* install the *correct* driver.

            Steps 1-5 just let windows (attempt) to install the default driver.

            Where a lot of the confusion comes from is that the latest drivers from Prolific
            which are delivered via Microsoft Windows Update attempt to detect the counterfeit
            chips and refuse to work.

            The behavior people saw depends on timing and windows updates. For some people the older
            driver that came with Windows 7 and would still work with the non-genuine chips. A
            subsequent update would cause the cable to stop working.

            Since the Baofeng UV-5R came out after the wouxun a lot more of those owners
            had windows 7 and went through the cable problems. By that point they were better
            understood. K3NXU with the help of others put a great site together with the resources
            for the frequently asked questions.

            --Rob
          • n1evh@verizon.net
            Message 5 of 19 , Jan 8, 2013
              Well with my Dell laptop running Win 7 Pro 64-bit SP`... when I got that,
              I first installed the drivers from the Powerwerx site and then plugged the
              programming cable into a USB port on the laptop... Windows said the
              device driver WAS properly installed. When I looked at the Device
              Manager...everything was listed as working properly.

              When doing the SAME thing with my desktop running Win 7 Pro 64-bit
              SP1...  the driver didn't install correctly. I used the same drivers from the
              Powerwerx website... I used the same programming cable... I did the
              same steps (installed the driver first and then plugged in the programming
              cable)... but Windows said the driver wasn't properly installed.

              If I didn't get everything to work... I could've always programmed my
              Wouixon and Kenwood HT's with my laptop... but most of the time when
              I'm home... my laptop is turned off and in the carrying cas.  So using my
              desktop is just a bit easier for programming the radios.

              In the worst case scenario... I could've used the programming cable for my
              Kenwood HT to program the radio... but its a serial cable with a big and bulky
              DB-25 on it (which means I would need a DB-25 to DB-9 adaptor to plug it
              into my USB to Serial adaptor).

              Mike - N1EVH

              > Well... as I said... I posted a website here that I found after doing a Google
              > search for installing the Prolific 3.2.0.0 drivers Steps 1 thru 5 is what I was getting
              >After following Steps 6-11... things started to work.

              Yes,
              In that document, steps 6-11 are the steps that *actually* install the *correct* driver.

              Steps 1-5 just let windows (attempt) to install the default driver.

              Where a lot of the confusion comes from is that the latest drivers from Prolific
              which are delivered via Microsoft Windows Update attempt to detect the counterfeit
              chips and refuse to work.

              The behavior people saw depends on timing and windows updates.  For some people the older
              driver that came with Windows 7 and would still work with the non-genuine chips.  A
              subsequent update would cause the cable to stop working.

              Since the Baofeng UV-5R came out after the wouxun a lot more of those owners
              had windows 7 and went through the cable problems.  By that point they were better
              understood.  K3NXU with the help of others put a great site together with the resources
              for the frequently asked questions.

              --Rob

            • n6jsx
              Message 6 of 19 , Jul 25 8:36 PM
                Most interesting as we bought a Wouxun Black USB cable form AES today. The driver enabled the cable just fine on y WinXP SP3 NB.

                But when I tried to setup the owners Win7 64b Home, we got Code 10, all the time.
                We DL from Wouxun the (Vista) driver and tried to install - code 10..
                We tried the Red cable driver - code 10.
                (and yes we uninstalled and rebooted each attempt - even did a Registry clean)

                There is something more afoot with Win7 64b that will not take the driver, I do not think it is this lock out issue you speak. If so Wouxun/AES is selling the bad chip cables and does not have the right driver on their web site.
              • Bill Maxwell

                  Message 8 of 19 , Jul 25 10:35 PM
                    Check here for a possible/probable solution: http://www.miklor.com/COM/UV_Drivers.php#cable

                    Bob, N7XY

                    On Jul 25, 2014, at 8:36 PM, n6jsx@... [KG-UV_Commander] <KG-UV_Commander@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

                    > Most interesting as we bought a Wouxun Black USB cable form AES today. The driver enabled the cable just fine on y WinXP SP3 NB.
                    >
                    > But when I tried to setup the owners Win7 64b Home, we got Code 10, all the time.
                    > We DL from Wouxun the (Vista) driver and tried to install - code 10..
                    > We tried the Red cable driver - code 10.
                    > (and yes we uninstalled and rebooted each attempt - even did a Registry clean)
                    >
                    > There is something more afoot with Win7 64b that will not take the driver, I do not think it is this lock out issue you speak. If so Wouxun/AES is selling the bad chip cables and does not have the right driver on their web site.

                  • kg4jry
                    Message 9 of 19 , Jul 26 9:23 AM
                      I had the same problem with Win7,found out you have to use USB Driver Ver 3.2.0.0
                    • W3TLN
                      Message 10 of 19 , Jul 26 9:55 AM
                        Untistall current driver then.........

                        Install driver BEFORE plugging in cable and HT.

                         -W3TLN

                        Message 11 of 19 , Jul 27 12:01 PM
                          This worked.... Installed the 2007 driver and all is now good.

                          The 2013 & 2014 drivers do not work for this Wouxun sold 'black' cable and the driver on their web site does not work for Win7 64b. Use the link in this string to get the RIGHT and GOOD WORKING  procedure.