Re: [KG-UV_Commander] Use of Commander with 6M version Wouxun

  • David A. Behar
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 30, 2012
      Hi friends,

      I see three issues regarding the use of KG-UV Commander for the 6M Wouxun handheld radios:
      • Is the internal memory structure of the radio identical to that of the other Wouxun dual-band radios?
      • Is the communications protocol identical to that of the other Wouxun dual-band radios?
      • Does KG-UV Commander perform validation checks for programmed frequencies which would cause it to reject the frequency range of the 6M radio?
      If we can have a "volunteer from the audience" I think I can help find answers to these questions.  The first task would be to use a serial sniffer utility to record communications session during a radio read session and radio write session using the Wouxun-supplied software.  Free sniffer software is available at http://www.serial-port-monitor.com/.  I'll look at the results of someone will provide them.

      The next step -- if we confirm that the communications protocol is the same -- is to grab a few memory images from the radio.  The Linux Command Line Utility (which also runs on Windows when installed properly for Windows) will do this.  See http://owx.chmurka.net/.  I'll look at these results if someone will provide them.

      Once the first two issues are resolved, the best way to resolve the last issue is to ask Jim Mitchell, the developer and publisher of the Commander series of programming software.

      David / K7DB

      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 1, 2012
        Hi ,
        I have got uv-6d and want to remotely change the frequency .
        Is it possible using commander? or any way to do it
        I am in UK and rig is in India . I have broadband and listen to it but unable to change Frequncy
        George
      • jwheatleyus
        Message 3 of 9 , Dec 1, 2012
          I can think of two ways- neither elegant or easy.
          1 Stepper motor drive on the channel knob.
          2 Use a Remote Control program on your PC and run the programming software to change frequency and other parameters of only one channel. After writing to the radio, the same channel would come up active on the new frequency just loaded. This would require a hack to the programming cable to get Rx audio out of the radio with the programming cable plugged in.
          JohnW
          W5JHW

          --- In KG-UV_Commander@yahoogroups.com, "cochin007" <cochin007@...> wrote:

          > Hi ,
          > I have got uv-6d and want to remotely change the frequency .
          > Is it possible using commander? or any way to do it
          > I am in UK and rig is in India . I have broadband and listen to it but unable to change Frequncy
          > George

        • Grant Rothwell
          Message 4 of 9 , Dec 1, 2012

            Maybe, buy another portable and use IRLP/Echolink........

          • David A. Behar
            Message 5 of 9 , Dec 1, 2012
              Hi friends,

              1) In my judgment, choice #2 seems very feasible.

              2) Instead of chopping up the programming cable, you can create a new double-"Y" cable -- which splits both audio lines from the radio into either the programming cable, or to your interface to computer audio.  Either the radio would need to be remotely switched between the programming cable and the audio interface, or perhaps a suitable device could be made which would not require switching (e.g., audio always coupled through a transformer or something between the radio and the audio interface, while at the same time the programming cable is also always connected to the radio).

              David

              I can think of two ways- neither elegant or easy.
              1 Stepper motor drive on the channel knob.
              2 Use a Remote Control program on your PC and run the programming software to change frequency and other parameters of only one channel. After writing to the radio, the same channel would come up active on the new frequency just loaded. This would require a hack to the programming cable to get Rx audio out of the radio with the programming cable plugged in.
              JohnW
              W5JHW

              --- In KG-UV_Commander@yahoogroups.com, "cochin007" <cochin007@...> wrote:

              > Hi ,
              > I have got uv-6d and want to remotely change the frequency .
              > Is it possible using commander? or any way to do it
              > I am in UK and rig is in India . I have broadband and listen to it but unable to change Frequncy
              > George

            • jwheatleyus
              Message 6 of 9 , Dec 2, 2012
                I have not built this but I believe it will work.
                1. Get a USB-RS-232 Adapter like-
                http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trksid=p3984.m570.l1313&_nkw=CP2102+Module+USB+to+USART%28UART%29+3.3V+TTL+USB+To+COM&_sacat=0&_from=R40
                2. Get 2.5mm and 3.5mm Stereo Plugs
                3. Connect Data Gnd to 2.5mm Sleeve
                TX Data to 2.5mm Ring
                RX Data to 3.5mm Sleeve
                4. Connect Ext Speaker to 2.5mm Tip and 3.5mm Sleeve (Gnd)
                I have made a number of BlueTooth and similar interfaces to the KG-UVD1P that work fine. I have not made a programming cable using the eBay USB module.
                JohnW
                W5JHW

                --- In KG-UV_Commander@yahoogroups.com, "David A. Behar" <david271@...> wrote:

                > Hi friends,
                >
                > 1) In my judgment, choice #2 seems very feasible.
                >
                > 2) Instead of chopping up the programming cable, you can create a new double-"Y" cable -- which splits both audio lines from the radio into either the programming cable, or to your interface to computer audio. Either the radio would need to be remotely switched between the programming cable and the audio interface, or perhaps a suitable device could be made which would not require switching (e.g., audio always coupled through a transformer or something between the radio and the audio interface, while at the same time the programming cable is also always connected to the radio).
                >
                > David

              • jwheatleyus
                Message 7 of 9 , Dec 2, 2012
                  OOPS.... I did not think before posting. An easier way to attack this problem will allow use of an existing programming cable-- Just get two Stereo Jacks and two Stereo Plugs. Jacks go on the programming cable and plugs go to the radio. Wire jacks to plugs per the post below.
                  JohnW
                  W5JHW