Re: [KG-UV_Commander] RT Systems software Question

  • Robert Terzi
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 18, 2012
      On 3/17/2012 8:52 PM, Rick wrote:
      > Has anybody bought the RT Systems software?
      >
      > http://www.rtsystemsinc.com/OtherRadio_Template.cfm?OtherRadiosPage=KGUV2D#
      >
      > And do you really need THIER cable or will my wouxun cable work with that software?

      The KG-UV Commander software mailing list probably isn't the best place to
      discuss other programming software, but I think the cable question is
      of general interest:

      From my experience with RT system's software and cable with my Yaesu VX-8DR,
      I believe the answer to be yes, their software will likely only work with their
      cable. Assuming what they do for the wouxun is the same, RT system's cables
      use an FTDI USB to serial chip but have a custom Vendor and Product ID
      on it. RT supplies a driver that matches the cable. Their cable will not
      show up as a COM port like a generic cable.

      The benefit is there is no guessing what COM port the radio is attached to.
      RT's software can search the USB bus and determine if their cable is attached
      or not, since it has a specific identification.

      Sure it seems like they are being proprietary about it, but I believe this
      makes the software much easier to support and use. Their approach eliminates
      most of the problems people have with the serial cables. Reading the wouxun
      yahoo group over the last year or so half the traffic seems to be about programming.

      The FTDI USB to serial chip is much more reliable that the Prolific/Prolific clones
      used in many of the cheap cables. I'll pay extra for an FTDI based cable when one
      is available. However you can't use the RT cable directly with other software
      since it doesn't show us as a COM port. Note: Other software like KG-UV Commander
      could use the FTDI direct I/O libraries to talk that cable, but the interest
      would be so small it probably isn't worth it.

      As far as the software goes, are there features you are looking for that aren't
      covered by KG-UV Commander? With a simple radio like the wouxun, I don't think
      there is much else that could be implemented.

      Hope this helps,
      --Rob
    • Kuby
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 18, 2012
        Yes, and I was very dissatisfied with RT. I paid for the IC-T8 program that did not work, only after vigorous complaining at AES (seller), then becoming RT's beta tester for this issue did I get a working program. It took RT '6' revisions of the original program (based on their T7 code) to finally get a working T8 program for my new IC-T8 HT.

        Afterwords I uncovered RT never tested/verified the T8 program before releasing. They never owned a T8 nor got a user T8 to verify program.

        This experience told me all I needed to know about RT - NEVER again!

        N6JSX, MS-EET

        p.s. 'CHIRP' is another program that is highly questionable - but since it's FREE, one cannot complain about bogus claims 'wasting' hours of my time to discover the program did not program the radio listed.

        --- In KG-UV_Commander@yahoogroups.com, "Rick" <riptyd64@...> wrote:

        > Has anybody bought the RT Systems software?
        >
        > http://www.rtsystemsinc.com/OtherRadio_Template.cfm?OtherRadiosPage=KGUV2D#
        >
        > And do you really need THIER cable or will my wouxun cable work with that software?

      • N8PZT
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 18, 2012
          I have the Wouxun KG-UV6D. What's going on with compatibility with the
          Commander software for this radio?

          Thanks,
          de N8PZT
          Stephen Brown