Re: Just purchased the KG-UV6

  • wouxunus
    Message 1 of 24 , Mar 14, 2012
      With the Keypad locked, the top knob will only change channels on the active display. If you have both upper and lower display showing the channel you want to monitor, even if the knob turns, it will not change the dual-watched channel.

      Regards,
      Ed Griffin
      www.Wouxun.US

      --- In KG-UV_Commander@yahoogroups.com, "stevenr437" <stevenr437@...> wrote:

      > LETS WORK ON FIXING THE CHANNEL SELECTOR KNOB FROM SWITCHING CHANNELS, AKA FREQUENCIES SO NO ONE GETS HURTS LIKE THE GENTLEMAN ON THE SAR MISSION AND IT MOVED WHILE IN HIS BACKPACK!!!!!! SOMEONE WRITE A PROGRAM TO LOCK THIS ASAP.
      >
      > --- In KG-UV_Commander@yahoogroups.com, "flower_xxxx" <xianhua1125@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Yes, that is one of the improvement functions for the 6D model.
      > >

      > > --- In KG-UV_Commander@yahoogroups.com, "stevenr437" <stevenr437@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Hello All,
      > > >
      > > > Just purchased the KG-UV6D and I was wondering if anyone knows how to program the radio so that the "Channel Selector" knob at the top of the radio next to the volume button does not move or rotate and change channels?
      > > >
      > > > When I push the "Lock"# button at the bottom right corner of the unit, it does lock the keypad to prevent accidental pushing of the DTMF keypad, but sometimes my shirt moves the channel knob at the top and I often am on the wrong channel.
      > > >
      > > > I must state that this happens in the "Channel Mode" mode. I also own the KG-UVD1P and have not had this issue. When I press the "Lock"# button on the DTMF keypad# the entire radio, including the channel selector knob at the top of the unit will not allow any movement allowing for an error. Any help would be appreciated.
      > > >
      > > > FYI-The Commander Software is excellent and I am hoping that Jim and his team will make one for the UVD6 since I am only using what was supplied by Wouxun. It works, but needs improvement. I even tried using their software checking the KEYPAD lock option as well as the AUTOLOCK option with no luck. HELLLLLPPPPP
      > > >
      > > > Thanks guys.

    • Kuby
      Message 2 of 24 , Mar 15, 2012
        Wuoxun, look at the TH-F6a and copy their 'LOCK' control.

        F6a has multiple levels of locking; keypad only or ALL buttons/controls including selector knob (takes press of LOCK button for +2sec to toggle On/Off LOCK). LOCK selection is done in radio setup/config menu.

        Wuoxun, consider for the UV7, the ability to reprogram the OS of the radio allowing users to upload a feature/bug fix. Alinco DJ-G7 allows users to upload radio OS changes - copy them!

        Finally Wuoxun, either allow users to reprogram keypad key functions or for HAM world get rid of the RODGER beep button. For HAM (all) I recommend making it the Repeater split button; three toggle modes = first +split, second -split, third simplex.

      • n1evh@verizon.net
        Message 3 of 24 , Mar 15, 2012
          LOTS of radios have the option of locking just the keypad... locking
          just the dial... locking the keypad and dial... and so on.  The TH-F6A
          isn't the only radio that offers this.

          With my Yaesu VX-7R... I can choose to  lock just the dial... just
          the keypad... just the PTT... or a combination of the three.

          As for "reprogramming the radio's OS"... I'm assuming you mean
          being able to update the firmware.  The next thing people will be
          saying... add so many memories like this radio has and add an
          external DC jack like this radio has and so on.

          Right now as I look at places that sell the UVD1P, UV3D, and the
          UV6D... you're paying anywhere from $40 to $55 more for what???
          2.5KHz steps... 72 extra memories... the SMA connector that is
          being used by Yaesu, Kenwood, and others???

          How much more do you think Wouxon would have to charge for
          their radios if they also added this feature or that feature because
          other radios have it and people like those features???  If they start
          to copy/add the features that other various HTs have... then the
          Wouxon HT's will then be costing just as much as the Yaesu
          Kenwood... and other HTs.

          You can't make everyone happy.

          Mike - N1EVH

          Wuoxun, look at the TH-F6a and copy their 'LOCK' control.

          F6a has multiple levels of locking; keypad only or ALL buttons/controls including selector knob (takes press of LOCK button for +2sec to toggle On/Off LOCK). LOCK selection is done in radio setup/config menu.

          Wuoxun, consider for the UV7, the ability to reprogram the OS of the radio allowing users to upload a feature/bug fix. Alinco DJ-G7 allows users to upload radio OS changes - copy them!

          Finally Wuoxun, either allow users to reprogram keypad key functions or for HAM world get rid of the RODGER beep button. For HAM (all) I recommend making it the Repeater split button; three toggle modes = first +split, second -split, third simplex.

          --- In KG-UV_Commander@yahoogroups.com, "wouxunus" <ed@...> wrote:

          > With the Keypad locked, the top knob will only change channels on the active display.  If you have both upper and lower display showing the channel you want to monitor, even if the knob turns, it will not change the dual-watched channel.
          >
          > Regards,
          > Ed Griffin
          >

          > --- In KG-UV_Commander@yahoogroups.com, "stevenr437" <stevenr437@> wrote:
          > >
          > > LETS WORK ON FIXING THE CHANNEL SELECTOR KNOB FROM SWITCHING CHANNELS, AKA FREQUENCIES SO NO ONE GETS HURTS LIKE THE GENTLEMAN ON THE SAR MISSION AND IT MOVED WHILE IN HIS BACKPACK!!!!!!  SOMEONE WRITE A PROGRAM TO LOCK THIS ASAP.
          > >
          > > --- In KG-UV_Commander@yahoogroups.com, "flower_xxxx" <xianhua1125@> wrote:
          > > >
          > > > Yes, that is one of the improvement functions for the 6D model.

          <*> Your email settings:
              Individual Email | Traditional

          <*> To change settings online go to:
              (Yahoo! ID required)

          <*> To change settings via email:

        • David A. Behar
          Message 4 of 24 , Mar 15, 2012
            Hi friends,

            A couple of quick comments...

            1) Wouxun could program the firmware to do just about anything.

            2) Re the knob, a nice idea would be to put a couple of carefully placed drops of clear fingernail polish in a way to lock the plastic channel-change knob to the case.  If it ever needs to be removed, you can use fingernail polish to remove most of it, and then just pull the knob to remove it and finish the cleaning job.  In the meantime, use the arrow keys or keyboard to change channels.  (Just as there is more than one way to skin a cat, there is more than one way to lock a channel select knob.)

            David

            Other than the 2.5 stepping, this radio is useless in my case, pocket, wherever it is stores especially when climbing down a hill on the side of the interstate or getting into the ambulance or firetruck. If we cannot lock the channel selector knob and keep it from switching without our knowledge I might as well continue using my KG-UVD1P even though it doesn't have the 2.5 steps at least I can lock the knobs in place. Wouxun really messed this one up!!!! I am really sorry I upgraded to the UV6. Waste of money unless someone can write a program to fix the firmware. Have the UV6 sitting on my dresser like a scanner, best and safest place for it so the channels won't get changed. Now relying on my KG-UVD1P for my missions. Very disappointed.

            --- In KG-UV_Commander@yahoogroups.com, "stevenr437" <stevenr437@...> wrote:

            > LETS WORK ON FIXING THE CHANNEL SELECTOR KNOB FROM SWITCHING CHANNELS, AKA FREQUENCIES SO NO ONE GETS HURTS LIKE THE GENTLEMAN ON THE SAR MISSION AND IT MOVED WHILE IN HIS BACKPACK!!!!!! SOMEONE WRITE A PROGRAM TO LOCK THIS ASAP.
            >
            > --- In KG-UV_Commander@yahoogroups.com, "flower_xxxx" <xianhua1125@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Yes, that is one of the improvement functions for the 6D model.
            > >

            > > --- In KG-UV_Commander@yahoogroups.com, "stevenr437" <stevenr437@> wrote:
            > > >
            > > > Hello All,
            > > >
            > > > Just purchased the KG-UV6D and I was wondering if anyone knows how to program the radio so that the "Channel Selector" knob at the top of the radio next to the volume button does not move or rotate and change channels?
            > > >
            > > > When I push the "Lock"# button at the bottom right corner of the unit, it does lock the keypad to prevent accidental pushing of the DTMF keypad, but sometimes my shirt moves the channel knob at the top and I often am on the wrong channel.
            > > >
            > > > I must state that this happens in the "Channel Mode" mode. I also own the KG-UVD1P and have not had this issue. When I press the "Lock"# button on the DTMF keypad# the entire radio, including the channel selector knob at the top of the unit will not allow any movement allowing for an error. Any help would be appreciated.
            > > >
            > > > FYI-The Commander Software is excellent and I am hoping that Jim and his team will make one for the UVD6 since I am only using what was supplied by Wouxun. It works, but needs improvement. I even tried using their software checking the KEYPAD lock option as well as the AUTOLOCK option with no luck. HELLLLLPPPPP
            > > >
            > > > Thanks guys.

          • Mark Scriven

              Other than the 2.5 stepping, this radio is useless in my case, pocket, wherever it is stores especially when climbing down a hill on the side of the interstate or getting into the ambulance or firetruck. If we cannot lock the channel selector knob and keep it from switching without our knowledge I might as well continue using my KG-UVD1P even though it doesn't have the 2.5 steps at least I can lock the knobs in place. Wouxun really messed this one up!!!! I am really sorry I upgraded to the UV6. Waste of money unless someone can write a program to fix the firmware. Have the UV6 sitting on my dresser like a scanner, best and safest place for it so the channels won't get changed. Now relying on my KG-UVD1P for my missions. Very disappointed.

              --- In KG-UV_Commander@yahoogroups.com, "stevenr437" <stevenr437@...> wrote:

              > LETS WORK ON FIXING THE CHANNEL SELECTOR KNOB FROM SWITCHING CHANNELS, AKA FREQUENCIES SO NO ONE GETS HURTS LIKE THE GENTLEMAN ON THE SAR MISSION AND IT MOVED WHILE IN HIS BACKPACK!!!!!! SOMEONE WRITE A PROGRAM TO LOCK THIS ASAP.
              >
              > --- In KG-UV_Commander@yahoogroups.com, "flower_xxxx" <xianhua1125@> wrote:
              > >
              > > Yes, that is one of the improvement functions for the 6D model.
              > >

              > > --- In KG-UV_Commander@yahoogroups.com, "stevenr437" <stevenr437@> wrote:
              > > >
              > > > Hello All,
              > > >
              > > > Just purchased the KG-UV6D and I was wondering if anyone knows how to program the radio so that the "Channel Selector" knob at the top of the radio next to the volume button does not move or rotate and change channels?
              > > >
              > > > When I push the "Lock"# button at the bottom right corner of the unit, it does lock the keypad to prevent accidental pushing of the DTMF keypad, but sometimes my shirt moves the channel knob at the top and I often am on the wrong channel.
              > > >
              > > > I must state that this happens in the "Channel Mode" mode. I also own the KG-UVD1P and have not had this issue. When I press the "Lock"# button on the DTMF keypad# the entire radio, including the channel selector knob at the top of the unit will not allow any movement allowing for an error. Any help would be appreciated.
              > > >
              > > > FYI-The Commander Software is excellent and I am hoping that Jim and his team will make one for the UVD6 since I am only using what was supplied by Wouxun. It works, but needs improvement. I even tried using their software checking the KEYPAD lock option as well as the AUTOLOCK option with no luck. HELLLLLPPPPP
              > > >
              > > > Thanks guys.

            • David A. Behar
              Message 6 of 24 , Mar 16, 2012

                Hi Mark,

                If you pull off the knob, there will be a shaft sticking out that can get caught is stuff.  Also, not very aesthetic.

                If you cut off the shaft, you have permanently damaged the radio.

                If you just use some clear fingernail polish, we've accomplished the goal -- i.e., locking the shaft -- without permanently changing the radio.

                (Just my thoughts.)

                David
                Or, if inadvertent changing the channel with the knob bothers you that much, just remove it!  It pulls right off.  If you still think that could be a problem cut off the shaft.  Then use the up/down arrows when you need to change the channel.
                Mark - WQ9M

              • jasdel49
                Message 7 of 24 , Mar 16, 2012
                  I just purchased one of the new KG-UV6 radios. I don't see what all the fuss is about the channel selector knob. After all this radio was not designed for ham radio, it was designed for commerical use. That's why the prices are so cheap. Wouxun would go broke and out of business if their market was just for the ham radio users, too small of a market.

                  If you don't like the radio, I'll take all of them that you want to GIVE away. I don't see any issue with knob for my use. For that matter they could eliminate the keyboard too. Mine will be programmed using a computer so don't need to change settings while out and about.

                  Everyone have fun with your new toy.

                  73,

                  James

                • n8pzt@ovi.com
                  Message 8 of 24 , Mar 16, 2012
                    Using this type of a radio for such a mission-critical activity as Search and Rescue does not seem practical to me.

                    Something more robust, like the Motorola APX 7000, XPS Series, or perhaps something from the E.F. Johnson folks, or Kenwood Commercial, or Vertex Standard, would be more appropriate to your needs.

                    S&R means that you're going to be moving around in some rather inhospitable environments at one time or another, and that radio may be your only source of COMM.

                    My Advice: Buy A Better Radio!

                    Check around, there are even Motorola Sabers available on eBay for $200 to $300 with a charger and battery. The non-motorola brands tend to have better programming software pricing, too, so again,, Look Around!

                    Good luck in your search.

                    73 de N8PZT
                  • Thomas Carpenter
                    Message 9 of 24 , Mar 16, 2012
                      Maybe a better Motorola type heavy duty holster. Having used Motorola in the past, yeah the survive the drop test you could buy 2 new Wouxuns with the warranty and accessories. The only advantage I see is the Factory Mutual acceptance possibly. In these uncertain times, I think being  frugal may be in order.
                      Another thought just how fast do you think this narrow band change over will occur? Budgets, being what they are total crossover is not going to happen at once. If it did the market would be flooded with surplus radios. That being said the prices will come down with volume.

                      Tom Kb3hg

                          KG-UV_Commander-digest@yahoogroups.com
                          KG-UV_Commander-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/