Re: KG-UV Commander experience and feedback

  • jtmmain
    Message 1 of 21 , May 3, 2011
      Installed and ran great on Windows 7 Pro, 32 bit. It also installed fine on my laptop running Win 7 Home Premium, 64 bit. I'll post upon more use.

      Jon (Ty) Moody
      Xenia, OH
      KD8FOX
      http://kd8fox.net/

      --- In KG-UV_Commander@yahoogroups.com, "David A. Behar" <david271@...> wrote:

      > Welcome new members!
      >
      > Have you tried the KG-UV Commander software? What do you think? What have you tried? What is working for you? What isn't working as you think it should?
      >
      > If you don't have the software yet, download it at http://www.kc8unj.com/kguv.html.
      >
      > David

    • Jay Marcucci KC2YSK
      Message 2 of 21 , May 4, 2011
        I had more time to try it with my UV2 - downloaded current config fine, I added a split CTCSS tone to a repeater memory and changed another repeater memory setting to encode and decode the same CTCSS , saved the file and then uploaded it - worked great! I am using Windows XP running on a Mac in Parallels Mode. Software worked as hoped for!

        Jay
        KC2YSK

        --- In KG-UV_Commander@yahoogroups.com, "David A. Behar" <david271@...> wrote:

        > Welcome new members!
        >
        > Have you tried the KG-UV Commander software? What do you think? What have you tried? What is working for you? What isn't working as you think it should?
        >
        > If you don't have the software yet, download it at http://www.kc8unj.com/kguv.html.
        >
        > David

      • David A. Behar

          Message 4 of 21 , May 5, 2011

            David,

            After hounding China for a Excel spreadsheet program or at least a utility to convert TW files, I was very pleasanlyt surprised to find Commander. Special thanks for the prompt reply from Ed. Yes, it made the 80+ channels, I hadn’t programmed, easy (because of the cumbersome basic program that accompanied the HT). I did have to figure out that it requires exporting, fixing, and importing back to the HT, but that’s OK. I’m one happy camper. Now if we could get them to build an HF rig and an amp at their great prices…..

            73 de Ron AI5L

          • Jay Rutherford
            Message 5 of 21 , May 5, 2011
              Issues I've found so far:

              1. When I try to put in values for Welcome 1 & 2 messages, I get a fatal
              error (30010) that abruptly closes the program. Something about an
              invalid column value. It's not consistent, though; sometimes I can put
              in the Welcome messages and sometimes not. I haven't discovered the key
              yet for consistent results either way. I have tried a number of things,
              including changing the opening screen to WELCOM.

              2. After selecting a group of adjacent channels (e.g., to move them
              somewhere else) and clicking on CUT, only the top channel is actually
              cut and movable. The blue highlights indicating the selected channels
              goes away after clicking on CUT. To move a bunch of channels, I had to
              move them one by one.

              I don't much care about #1 above as I like to see battery voltage on
              start up, but #2 would be a good one to get fixed.

              Jay K3BH
            • jimbo_48393
              Message 6 of 21 , May 5, 2011
                Yep, these are both bugs. I believe #1 is related to a bug wher the software crashes when using the TAB key anywhere other than the main memories grid. #2 is something I broke recently. Both are fixed and will be in the next beta.

                Jim
                KC8UNJ

                --- In KG-UV_Commander@yahoogroups.com, Jay Rutherford <k3bh@...> wrote:

                > Issues I've found so far:
                >
                > 1. When I try to put in values for Welcome 1 & 2 messages, I get a fatal
                > error (30010) that abruptly closes the program. Something about an
                > invalid column value. It's not consistent, though; sometimes I can put
                > in the Welcome messages and sometimes not. I haven't discovered the key
                > yet for consistent results either way. I have tried a number of things,
                > including changing the opening screen to WELCOM.
                >
                > 2. After selecting a group of adjacent channels (e.g., to move them
                > somewhere else) and clicking on CUT, only the top channel is actually
                > cut and movable. The blue highlights indicating the selected channels
                > goes away after clicking on CUT. To move a bunch of channels, I had to
                > move them one by one.
                >
                > I don't much care about #1 above as I like to see battery voltage on
                > start up, but #2 would be a good one to get fixed.
                >
                > Jay K3BH

              • Derek Turner
                Message 7 of 21 , May 5, 2011
                  Dear Jim

                    Subject: Re: [Wouxun_KG-UVD1] Help

                  I posted these messages in the other group, so far they have been unacknowledged.

                  I think that Subscript out of Bounds requires you to count commas, and Type Mismatch on null may only need a quick on error resume next, but the double decimal point needs more ingenuity.

                  Maybe a textbox containing  progress would be helpful ?

                  :-

                  Further observations on using the CSV File Import option in Commander :-

                  1. If you have blanked the TX frequency to make a channel RX only then the import will fail with Type Mismatch Error 13.

                  2. If a channel frequency is outside the Band Limits then the data for that channel is ignored and no warning of this is given.

                  3. Using New as a way of clearing the screen adds confusion to the above because New resets the Band Limits.

                  73 de G4SWY, Del +++

                  Message 8 of 21 , May 5, 2011
                    Sorry for the lack of reply, all feedback is appreciated. I did see the messages in the other group, and I believe I have this all taken care of for the next beta.

                    Jim
                    KC8UNJ

                    --- In KG-UV_Commander@yahoogroups.com, Derek Turner <g4swy@...> wrote:

                    > Dear Jim
                    >
                    >   Subject: Re: [Wouxun_KG-UVD1] Help
                    >

                    > I posted these messages in the other group, so far they have been unacknowledged.
                    >
                    > I think that Subscript out of Bounds requires you to count commas, and Type Mismatch on null may only need a quick on error resume next, but the double decimal point needs more ingenuity.
                    >
                    > Maybe a textbox containing  progress would be helpful ?
                    >

                    > :-
                    >
                    > Further observations on using the CSV File Import option in Commander :-
                    >
                    > 1. If you have blanked the TX frequency to make a channel RX only then the import will fail with Type Mismatch Error 13.
                    >
                    > 2. If a channel frequency is outside the Band Limits then the data for that channel is ignored and no warning of this is given.
                    >
                    > 3. Using New as a way of clearing the screen adds confusion to the above because New resets the Band Limits.
                    >

                    > 73 de G4SWY, Del +++
                    >

                    > ________________________________

                  • Metradio
                    Message 9 of 21 , May 7, 2011
                      Most impressed with the program Jim..

                      Missing line at the bottom of a landscape printout SORTED thanks..

                      A wish, can you increase the usable space in the GROUP/NOTES column from 32 to 40 characters please??

                      Mike
                    • David A. Behar
                      Message 10 of 21 , May 8, 2011
                        Welcome new members!

                        Have you tried the KG-UV Commander software?  What do you think?  What have you tried?  What is working for you?  What isn't working as you think it should?

                        Have you downloaded the latest update (Version 0.1.1 BETA)?

                        If you don't have KG-UV Commander yet, download it at http://www.kc8unj.com/kguv.html.

                        David

                      • david2718281828

                            Message 13 of 21 , Jun 4, 2011
                              I'm a new KG-UV3 owner, primarily for SAT Ops..... I'm a HAM (w/MS-EET) of +35yrs (my first HT being a IC-2AT/thumbwheels).

                              I find Commander a ghod-send over the Wouxun free program!
                              The simplicity of Commander is a breath of fresh air!

                              The program is simple and easy to use, PLUS worked the first time. But in part due to KG3 OS does not require any special mode setup to comm with a PC. The hardest part of Commander was discovering my Windows Comm port assignment to config Commander.

                              However, there is one problem with the Commander - no F1 Help file. Some of Commander field labels are not the same as KG#'s manual names. Commander needs a help file to define & tie the fields to the manual/radio. Some Commander functions are numbered to match the KG#'s manual, but not all functions are either present or numbered in Commander - confusing.

                              One thing I found out is you need to look in every pull-down menu nook-n-cranny location as Commander has much more then at first glance (like the MARS unlock feature) just it's not obvious, and again a F1 help file would help.

                              A few small quirks that I'd like changed:
                              1. My trackball scroll wheel does not functional in Commander.
                              2. I could not 'copy & paste' into Commander from an Excel (cell-to-cell) to the Freq cells in Commander.
                              3. 'F2' as a 'change' key does not function to edit.
                              4. 'Delete' key does not clear a cell.

                              Commander is a keeper!

                              Kuby, N6JSX/8

                              --- In KG-UV_Commander@yahoogroups.com, "david2718281828" <david271@...> wrote:

                              > Welcome new members!
                              >
                              > Have you tried the KG-UV Commander software? What do you think? What have you tried? What is working for you? What isn't working as you think it should?
                              >
                              > If you don't have the software yet, download it at http://www.kc8unj.com/kguv.html
                              >
                              > David

                            • Thomas Carpenter
                              Message 14 of 21 , Jun 4, 2011
                                Kuby,
                                KG-UV Commander, is has its merits, But the Wouxon software  was simple compared with the software I have for my Icoms. Once I got the Icom software down, everything else is simple. The Commander is easy to massage where you need to to jump thru a few hoops with the stock Wouxon software.
                                73,
                                Tom Kb3hg

[...]

                                --- In KG-UV_Commander@yahoogroups.com, "david2718281828" <david271@...> wrote: > > Welcome new members! > > Have you tried the KG-UV Commander software? What do you think? What have you tried? What is working for you? What isn't working as you think it should? > > If you don't have the software yet, download it at http://www.kc8unj.com/kguv.html > > David > ------------------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Links <*> To visit your group on the web, go to: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/KG-UV_Commander/ <*> Your email settings: Individual Email | Traditional <*> To change settings online go to: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/KG-UV_Commander/join (Yahoo! ID required) <*> To change settings via email: KG-UV_Commander-digest@yahoogroups.com KG-UV_Commander-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com <*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to: KG-UV_Commander-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com <*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to: http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
                              • Brian
                                Message 15 of 21 , Jun 6, 2011
                                  for no1 you have to go into options and enable scrolling via scroll wheel i know i had that problem at the beginning also