Re: Just purchased the KG-UV6

  • Stephen Brown
    Message 1 of 24 , Mar 5, 2012
      I've got the KG-UV6D V2 model, and, using the programming software, I see no way to keep the top knob from working.

      Honestly, considering you can pretty much lock the keyboard into oblivion, the top knob would really be the only way to change channels.

      I don't think this feature exists on this model.

      73 de N8PZT

      --- In KG-UV_Commander@yahoogroups.com, "stevenr437" <stevenr437@...> wrote:

      > Hello All,
      >
      > Just purchased the KG-UV6D and I was wondering if anyone knows how to program the radio so that the "Channel Selector" knob at the top of the radio next to the volume button does not move or rotate and change channels?
      >
      > When I push the "Lock"# button at the bottom right corner of the unit, it does lock the keypad to prevent accidental pushing of the DTMF keypad, but sometimes my shirt moves the channel knob at the top and I often am on the wrong channel.
      >
      > I must state that this happens in the "Channel Mode" mode. I also own the KG-UVD1P and have not had this issue. When I press the "Lock"# button on the DTMF keypad# the entire radio, including the channel selector knob at the top of the unit will not allow any movement allowing for an error. Any help would be appreciated.
      >
      > FYI-The Commander Software is excellent and I am hoping that Jim and his team will make one for the UVD6 since I am only using what was supplied by Wouxun. It works, but needs improvement. I even tried using their software checking the KEYPAD lock option as well as the AUTOLOCK option with no luck. HELLLLLPPPPP
      >
      > Thanks guys.

    • wouxunus
      Message 2 of 24 , Mar 5, 2012
        For the past 2-1/2 years, one of the most requested improvements was the ability to change channels while the keypad is locked. It took Wouxun until the UV6D to implement this feature. I doubt it will change back.

        Regards,
        Ed Griffin
        www.Wouxun.US

        --- In KG-UV_Commander@yahoogroups.com, "Stephen Brown" <n8pzt@...> wrote:

        > I've got the KG-UV6D V2 model, and, using the programming software, I see no way to keep the top knob from working.
        >
        > Honestly, considering you can pretty much lock the keyboard into oblivion, the top knob would really be the only way to change channels.
        >
        > I don't think this feature exists on this model.
        >
        > 73 de N8PZT
        >

        > --- In KG-UV_Commander@yahoogroups.com, "stevenr437" <stevenr437@> wrote:
        > >
        > > Hello All,
        > >
        > > Just purchased the KG-UV6D and I was wondering if anyone knows how to program the radio so that the "Channel Selector" knob at the top of the radio next to the volume button does not move or rotate and change channels?
        > >
        > > When I push the "Lock"# button at the bottom right corner of the unit, it does lock the keypad to prevent accidental pushing of the DTMF keypad, but sometimes my shirt moves the channel knob at the top and I often am on the wrong channel.
        > >
        > > I must state that this happens in the "Channel Mode" mode. I also own the KG-UVD1P and have not had this issue. When I press the "Lock"# button on the DTMF keypad# the entire radio, including the channel selector knob at the top of the unit will not allow any movement allowing for an error. Any help would be appreciated.
        > >
        > > FYI-The Commander Software is excellent and I am hoping that Jim and his team will make one for the UVD6 since I am only using what was supplied by Wouxun. It works, but needs improvement. I even tried using their software checking the KEYPAD lock option as well as the AUTOLOCK option with no luck. HELLLLLPPPPP
        > >
        > > Thanks guys.

      • David A. Behar
        Message 3 of 24 , Mar 5, 2012
          Hi friends,

          In some applications it is very helpful to configure a radio so the keypad is locked, but the channel knob is still operable.  In fact, this is the traditional way handheld radios operated (e.g., Motorola HT-220) before they were controlled by microprocessors.  This configuration is helpful when the operator needs to frequently or sometimes change channels, but when keypad controls are vulnerable to unintended operation -- through inadvertent bumping, through inadvertent operation (e.g., by an inexperienced user), or through unauthorized operation (e.g., a bored employee "playing with" the radio).

          In other applications it is helpful to have all features enabled; e.g., an experienced radio operator whose responsibilities requires frequent reconfiguration of parameters, and where the physical environment is such that inadvertent operation of the keypad controls is unlikely.

          But in some applications it is helpful to lock all radio controls.  For example, this configuration would be valuable for a hiker who tosses his radio in his backpack, and shifting items in the backpack or bumps to the backpack could inadvertently operate the channel selector.  It appears that the KG-UV6D does not support this configuration.

          A manufacturer has great flexibility in the design of the user interface of a microprocessor-controlled radio, as the operation of the radio is controlled by the radio's software.  (Sometimes the term "firmware" is used for software which is permanently or semi-permanently installed in equipment.)  But the design of a good user interface requires expert knowledge of human factors, environmental factors, and the nature of the missions to which purchasers in the target market will be applying the equipment.  A wise developer (e.g., manufacturer) will hire an expert in human factors and user interface design to design the user interface, and will allocate resources to study how the radio will be used and might be used.  In the case of a two-way handheld radio, it would be useful to be able to have more than two possible states for the "locking attribute".  (In the email below, the two possible states are "lock the keyboard" and "unlock the keyboard"; the channel selector knob is never locked.)

          Specifically regarding the Wouxun radios, it would probably not be wise for the manufacturer to "change back" the user interface so it is impossible to lock the keypad but leave the channel selector unlocked.  But it would be wise for the manufacturer to offer more than two states for the "lock" parameter, so the user can select the best lock configuration for his application (e.g., "all locked", "only keypad locked", or "all unlocked").

          David

          For the past 2-1/2 years, one of the most requested improvements was the ability to change channels while the keypad is locked. It took Wouxun until the UV6D to implement this feature. I doubt it will change back.

          Regards,
          Ed Griffin
          www.Wouxun.US

          --- In KG-UV_Commander@yahoogroups.com, "Stephen Brown" <n8pzt@...> wrote:

          > I've got the KG-UV6D V2 model, and, using the programming software, I see no way to keep the top knob from working.
          >
          > Honestly, considering you can pretty much lock the keyboard into oblivion, the top knob would really be the only way to change channels.
          >
          > I don't think this feature exists on this model.
          >
          > 73 de N8PZT
          >

          > --- In KG-UV_Commander@yahoogroups.com, "stevenr437" <stevenr437@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Hello All,
          > >
          > > Just purchased the KG-UV6D and I was wondering if anyone knows how to program the radio so that the "Channel Selector" knob at the top of the radio next to the volume button does not move or rotate and change channels?
          > >
          > > When I push the "Lock"# button at the bottom right corner of the unit, it does lock the keypad to prevent accidental pushing of the DTMF keypad, but sometimes my shirt moves the channel knob at the top and I often am on the wrong channel.
          > >
          > > I must state that this happens in the "Channel Mode" mode. I also own the KG-UVD1P and have not had this issue. When I press the "Lock"# button on the DTMF keypad# the entire radio, including the channel selector knob at the top of the unit will not allow any movement allowing for an error. Any help would be appreciated.
          > >
          > > FYI-The Commander Software is excellent and I am hoping that Jim and his team will make one for the UVD6 since I am only using what was supplied by Wouxun. It works, but needs improvement. I even tried using their software checking the KEYPAD lock option as well as the AUTOLOCK option with no luck. HELLLLLPPPPP
          > >
          > > Thanks guys.

        • hardwaretweeker
          Message 4 of 24 , Mar 6, 2012
            This last weekend I had this 'channel' change problem occur. My UV1 has all controls locked, but I chose to use my UV6 on a SAR training mission. Unknown to me, I had changed channels when I turned down the volume. When I needed to contact the SAR base I couldn't reach them. I eventually pulled the radio out of my chest back and found it was on the wrong channel. Very frustrating! Having the ability to lock all controls, or some controls 'without' having to hook it up to a PC would be useful. Keylock is needed, channel lock is needed, as is the ability to program frequencies from the keyboard in the field, or totally lock it down for users you only want to use certain channels.

            Steve

            --- In KG-UV_Commander@yahoogroups.com, "David A. Behar" <david271@...> wrote:

            > Hi friends,
            >
            > In some applications it is very helpful to configure a radio so the keypad is locked, but the channel knob is still operable. In fact, this is the traditional way handheld radios operated (e.g., Motorola HT-220) before they were controlled by microprocessors. This configuration is helpful when the operator needs to frequently or sometimes change channels, but when keypad controls are vulnerable to unintended operation -- through inadvertent bumping, through inadvertent operation (e.g., by an inexperienced user), or through unauthorized operation (e.g., a bored employee "playing with" the radio).
            >
            > In other applications it is helpful to have all features enabled; e.g., an experienced radio operator whose responsibilities requires frequent reconfiguration of parameters, and where the physical environment is such that inadvertent operation of the keypad controls is unlikely.
            >
            > But in some applications it is helpful to lock all radio controls. For example, this configuration would be valuable for a hiker who tosses his radio in his backpack, and shifting items in the backpack or bumps to the backpack could inadvertently operate the channel selector. It appears that the KG-UV6D does not support this configuration.
            >
            > A manufacturer has great flexibility in the design of the user interface of a microprocessor-controlled radio, as the operation of the radio is controlled by the radio's software. (Sometimes the term "firmware" is used for software which is permanently or semi-permanently installed in equipment.) But the design of a good user interface requires expert knowledge of human factors, environmental factors, and the nature of the missions to which purchasers in the target market will be applying the equipment. A wise developer (e.g., manufacturer) will hire an expert in human factors and user interface design to design the user interface, and will allocate resources to study how the radio will be used and might be used. In the case of a two-way handheld radio, it would be useful to be able to have more than two possible states for the "locking attribute". (In the email below, the two possible states are "lock the keyboard" and "unlock the keyboard"; the channel selector knob is never locked.)
            >
            > Specifically regarding the Wouxun radios, it would probably not be wise for the manufacturer to "change back" the user interface so it is impossible to lock the keypad but leave the channel selector unlocked. But it would be wise for the manufacturer to offer more than two states for the "lock" parameter, so the user can select the best lock configuration for his application (e.g., "all locked", "only keypad locked", or "all unlocked").
            >
            > David

          • Kuby
            Message 5 of 24 , Mar 12, 2012
              Can someone compare the UV3 to UV6, to help me understand why I might want to buy a UV6 vs UV3 vs UV1?

              So far, I think the only difference are:
              ...... UV1 = 50 memories
              ...... UV3 = 100 memories
              ...... UV6 = 200 memories
              now it's how many memories do I need?

              I'd like to see Wouxun make a differences matrix between UV1/2/3/6 to insure costumers understand and remain happy with their purchase. I own a UV3 (being SAT Friendly) and I'm very happy; I do not need another 100 memories.

              Unless there is some significant difference between a UV3&UV6 (like battery life/usage, power out, etc) I see no reason to upgrade.
            • jwheatleyus
              Message 6 of 24 , Mar 12, 2012
                2.5KHz Step in the UVD6 if you need new Part 90 frequencies.
                JohnW
                W5JHW

                --- In KG-UV_Commander@yahoogroups.com, "Kuby" <n6jsx@...> wrote:

                > Can someone compare the UV3 to UV6, to help me understand why I might want to buy a UV6 vs UV3 vs UV1?
                >
                > So far, I think the only difference are:
                > ...... UV1 = 50 memories
                > ...... UV3 = 100 memories
                > ...... UV6 = 200 memories
                > now it's how many memories do I need?
                >
                > I'd like to see Wouxun make a differences matrix between UV1/2/3/6 to insure costumers understand and remain happy with their purchase. I own a UV3 (being SAT Friendly) and I'm very happy; I do not need another 100 memories.
                >
                > Unless there is some significant difference between a UV3&UV6 (like battery life/usage, power out, etc) I see no reason to upgrade.

              • Ralph Milnes
                Message 7 of 24 , Mar 12, 2012

                  Also, the 6D can do 4 decimals (xxx.xxxx MHz) where the 1 and 3 can only do 3 decimals. This is important for some of the Part 90 frequencies, such as the non-Federal interoperability frequencies, e.g.  151.1375 MHz

                  Ralph NM5RM

                  2.5KHz Step in the UVD6 if you need new Part 90 frequencies.
                  JohnW
                  W5JHW

                  --- In KG-UV_Commander@yahoogroups.com, "Kuby" <n6jsx@...> wrote:

                  > Can someone compare the UV3 to UV6, to help me understand why I might want to buy a UV6 vs UV3 vs UV1?
                  >
                  > So far, I think the only difference are:
                  > ...... UV1 = 50 memories
                  > ...... UV3 = 100 memories
                  > ...... UV6 = 200 memories
                  > now it's how many memories do I need?
                  >
                  > I'd like to see Wouxun make a differences matrix between UV1/2/3/6 to insure costumers understand and remain happy with their purchase. I own a UV3 (being SAT Friendly) and I'm very happy; I do not need another 100 memories.
                  >
                  > Unless there is some significant difference between a UV3&UV6 (like battery life/usage, power out, etc) I see no reason to upgrade.

                • Thomas Carpenter
                  Message 8 of 24 , Mar 12, 2012
                    Kuby,
                    UV6 two models 5k step and 2.5K step, then the memory. 1, 2, 3 have 128 memories. 2.5 KHZ steps are very important for commercial and public safety people. That is the basic reason along with the new narrow banding requirement for them. And last, you need to buy one immediately to support the Economy and our various dealers. If you don't we will have a triple dip recession. :)

                    Tom Kb3hg

                    Can someone compare the UV3 to UV6, to help me understand why I might want to
                    buy a UV6 vs UV3 vs UV1?

                    So far, I think the only difference are:
                    ...... UV1 = 50 memories
                    ...... UV3 = 100 memories
                    ...... UV6 = 200 memories
                    now it's how many memories do I need?

                    I'd like to see Wouxun make a differences matrix between UV1/2/3/6 to insure
                    costumers understand and remain happy with their purchase. I own a UV3 (being
                    SAT Friendly) and I'm very happy; I do not need another 100 memories.

                    Unless there is some significant difference between a UV3&UV6 (like battery
                    life/usage, power out, etc) I see no reason to upgrade.

                    <*> Your email settings:
                        Individual Email | Traditional

                    <*> To change settings online go to:
                        (Yahoo! ID required)

                    <*> To change settings via email:
                        KG-UV_Commander-digest@yahoogroups.com
                        KG-UV_Commander-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                  • steve.vogel
                    Message 9 of 24 , Mar 13, 2012
                      UV1, UV2, and UV3 all have 128 memories. That's more than enough for me.

                      --- In KG-UV_Commander@yahoogroups.com, "Kuby" <n6jsx@...> wrote:

                      > Can someone compare the UV3 to UV6, to help me understand why I might want to buy a UV6 vs UV3 vs UV1?
                      >
                      > So far, I think the only difference are:
                      > ...... UV1 = 50 memories
                      > ...... UV3 = 100 memories
                      > ...... UV6 = 200 memories
                      > now it's how many memories do I need?
                      >
                      > I'd like to see Wouxun make a differences matrix between UV1/2/3/6 to insure costumers understand and remain happy with their purchase. I own a UV3 (being SAT Friendly) and I'm very happy; I do not need another 100 memories.
                      >
                      > Unless there is some significant difference between a UV3&UV6 (like battery life/usage, power out, etc) I see no reason to upgrade.

                    • Zaphod B
                      Message 10 of 24 , Mar 13, 2012
                        Odd, I just tested my KG-UVD1P using the 6.25 KHz step setting, and it went straight to 151.1375, with no trickery.

                        I would almost bet that using the programming software would allow it too. Almost any radio with narrow functionality should handle the new steps, even my Baofengs, and an old ADI Sender 125 (no narrow) do. It's just on these radios the indication of the 4th and 5th place after the decimal, is a small .25 .5 or .75 "tack on" numeral that lights up.

                        However, if they did it right, the 7th place would surely help with channel names.

                        73,
                        AE7EC

                        Message 11 of 24 , Mar 13, 2012
                          Well 6.25 KHZ will not yield all the same frequencies that 2.5 KHZ  steps will. There is a spreadsheet/ table that shows what will and will not work in many cases. check out the file areas in the Wouxun groups. Its not as easy as just tacking on a number that lights up.go back and read the archives about the 6 series radios. A real interesting read to say the least.

                          Tom Kb3hg

                          Message 12 of 24 , Mar 14, 2012
                            LETS WORK ON FIXING THE CHANNEL SELECTOR KNOB FROM SWITCHING CHANNELS, AKA FREQUENCIES SO NO ONE GETS HURTS LIKE THE GENTLEMAN ON THE SAR MISSION AND IT MOVED WHILE IN HIS BACKPACK!!!!!! SOMEONE WRITE A PROGRAM TO LOCK THIS ASAP.

                            --- In KG-UV_Commander@yahoogroups.com, "flower_xxxx" <xianhua1125@...> wrote:

                            > Yes, that is one of the improvement functions for the 6D model.
                            >

                            > --- In KG-UV_Commander@yahoogroups.com, "stevenr437" <stevenr437@> wrote:
                            > >
                            > > Hello All,
                            > >
                            > > Just purchased the KG-UV6D and I was wondering if anyone knows how to program the radio so that the "Channel Selector" knob at the top of the radio next to the volume button does not move or rotate and change channels?
                            > >
                            > > When I push the "Lock"# button at the bottom right corner of the unit, it does lock the keypad to prevent accidental pushing of the DTMF keypad, but sometimes my shirt moves the channel knob at the top and I often am on the wrong channel.
                            > >
                            > > I must state that this happens in the "Channel Mode" mode. I also own the KG-UVD1P and have not had this issue. When I press the "Lock"# button on the DTMF keypad# the entire radio, including the channel selector knob at the top of the unit will not allow any movement allowing for an error. Any help would be appreciated.
                            > >
                            > > FYI-The Commander Software is excellent and I am hoping that Jim and his team will make one for the UVD6 since I am only using what was supplied by Wouxun. It works, but needs improvement. I even tried using their software checking the KEYPAD lock option as well as the AUTOLOCK option with no luck. HELLLLLPPPPP
                            > >
                            > > Thanks guys.

                          • stevenr437
                            Message 13 of 24 , Mar 14, 2012
                              Other than the 2.5 stepping, this radio is useless in my case, pocket, wherever it is stores especially when climbing down a hill on the side of the interstate or getting into the ambulance or firetruck. If we cannot lock the channel selector knob and keep it from switching without our knowledge I might as well continue using my KG-UVD1P even though it doesn't have the 2.5 steps at least I can lock the knobs in place. Wouxun really messed this one up!!!! I am really sorry I upgraded to the UV6. Waste of money unless someone can write a program to fix the firmware. Have the UV6 sitting on my dresser like a scanner, best and safest place for it so the channels won't get changed. Now relying on my KG-UVD1P for my missions. Very disappointed.

                              --- In KG-UV_Commander@yahoogroups.com, "stevenr437" <stevenr437@...> wrote:

                              > LETS WORK ON FIXING THE CHANNEL SELECTOR KNOB FROM SWITCHING CHANNELS, AKA FREQUENCIES SO NO ONE GETS HURTS LIKE THE GENTLEMAN ON THE SAR MISSION AND IT MOVED WHILE IN HIS BACKPACK!!!!!! SOMEONE WRITE A PROGRAM TO LOCK THIS ASAP.
                              >
                              > --- In KG-UV_Commander@yahoogroups.com, "flower_xxxx" <xianhua1125@> wrote:
                              > >
                              > > Yes, that is one of the improvement functions for the 6D model.
                              > >

                              > > --- In KG-UV_Commander@yahoogroups.com, "stevenr437" <stevenr437@> wrote:
                              > > >
                              > > > Hello All,
                              > > >
                              > > > Just purchased the KG-UV6D and I was wondering if anyone knows how to program the radio so that the "Channel Selector" knob at the top of the radio next to the volume button does not move or rotate and change channels?
                              > > >
                              > > > When I push the "Lock"# button at the bottom right corner of the unit, it does lock the keypad to prevent accidental pushing of the DTMF keypad, but sometimes my shirt moves the channel knob at the top and I often am on the wrong channel.
                              > > >
                              > > > I must state that this happens in the "Channel Mode" mode. I also own the KG-UVD1P and have not had this issue. When I press the "Lock"# button on the DTMF keypad# the entire radio, including the channel selector knob at the top of the unit will not allow any movement allowing for an error. Any help would be appreciated.
                              > > >
                              > > > FYI-The Commander Software is excellent and I am hoping that Jim and his team will make one for the UVD6 since I am only using what was supplied by Wouxun. It works, but needs improvement. I even tried using their software checking the KEYPAD lock option as well as the AUTOLOCK option with no luck. HELLLLLPPPPP
                              > > >
                              > > > Thanks guys.

                            • wouxunus
                              Message 14 of 24 , Mar 14, 2012
                                With the Keypad locked, the top knob will only change channels on the active display. If you have both upper and lower display showing the channel you want to monitor, even if the knob turns, it will not change the dual-watched channel.

                                Regards,
                                Ed Griffin
                                www.Wouxun.US

                                --- In KG-UV_Commander@yahoogroups.com, "stevenr437" <stevenr437@...> wrote:

                                > LETS WORK ON FIXING THE CHANNEL SELECTOR KNOB FROM SWITCHING CHANNELS, AKA FREQUENCIES SO NO ONE GETS HURTS LIKE THE GENTLEMAN ON THE SAR MISSION AND IT MOVED WHILE IN HIS BACKPACK!!!!!! SOMEONE WRITE A PROGRAM TO LOCK THIS ASAP.
                                >
                                > --- In KG-UV_Commander@yahoogroups.com, "flower_xxxx" <xianhua1125@> wrote:
                                > >
                                > > Yes, that is one of the improvement functions for the 6D model.
                                > >

                                > > --- In KG-UV_Commander@yahoogroups.com, "stevenr437" <stevenr437@> wrote:
                                > > >
                                > > > Hello All,
                                > > >
                                > > > Just purchased the KG-UV6D and I was wondering if anyone knows how to program the radio so that the "Channel Selector" knob at the top of the radio next to the volume button does not move or rotate and change channels?
                                > > >
                                > > > When I push the "Lock"# button at the bottom right corner of the unit, it does lock the keypad to prevent accidental pushing of the DTMF keypad, but sometimes my shirt moves the channel knob at the top and I often am on the wrong channel.
                                > > >
                                > > > I must state that this happens in the "Channel Mode" mode. I also own the KG-UVD1P and have not had this issue. When I press the "Lock"# button on the DTMF keypad# the entire radio, including the channel selector knob at the top of the unit will not allow any movement allowing for an error. Any help would be appreciated.
                                > > >
                                > > > FYI-The Commander Software is excellent and I am hoping that Jim and his team will make one for the UVD6 since I am only using what was supplied by Wouxun. It works, but needs improvement. I even tried using their software checking the KEYPAD lock option as well as the AUTOLOCK option with no luck. HELLLLLPPPPP
                                > > >
                                > > > Thanks guys.

                              • Kuby
                                Message 15 of 24 , Mar 15, 2012
                                  Wuoxun, look at the TH-F6a and copy their 'LOCK' control.

                                  F6a has multiple levels of locking; keypad only or ALL buttons/controls including selector knob (takes press of LOCK button for +2sec to toggle On/Off LOCK). LOCK selection is done in radio setup/config menu.

                                  Wuoxun, consider for the UV7, the ability to reprogram the OS of the radio allowing users to upload a feature/bug fix. Alinco DJ-G7 allows users to upload radio OS changes - copy them!

                                  Finally Wuoxun, either allow users to reprogram keypad key functions or for HAM world get rid of the RODGER beep button. For HAM (all) I recommend making it the Repeater split button; three toggle modes = first +split, second -split, third simplex.

                                • n1evh@verizon.net
                                  Message 16 of 24 , Mar 15, 2012
                                    LOTS of radios have the option of locking just the keypad... locking
                                    just the dial... locking the keypad and dial... and so on.  The TH-F6A
                                    isn't the only radio that offers this.

                                    With my Yaesu VX-7R... I can choose to  lock just the dial... just
                                    the keypad... just the PTT... or a combination of the three.

                                    As for "reprogramming the radio's OS"... I'm assuming you mean
                                    being able to update the firmware.  The next thing people will be
                                    saying... add so many memories like this radio has and add an
                                    external DC jack like this radio has and so on.

                                    Right now as I look at places that sell the UVD1P, UV3D, and the
                                    UV6D... you're paying anywhere from $40 to $55 more for what???
                                    2.5KHz steps... 72 extra memories... the SMA connector that is
                                    being used by Yaesu, Kenwood, and others???

                                    How much more do you think Wouxon would have to charge for
                                    their radios if they also added this feature or that feature because
                                    other radios have it and people like those features???  If they start
                                    to copy/add the features that other various HTs have... then the
                                    Wouxon HT's will then be costing just as much as the Yaesu
                                    Kenwood... and other HTs.

                                    You can't make everyone happy.

                                    Mike - N1EVH

                                    Message 17 of 24 , Mar 15, 2012
                                      Hi friends,

                                      A couple of quick comments...

                                      1) Wouxun could program the firmware to do just about anything.

                                      2) Re the knob, a nice idea would be to put a couple of carefully placed drops of clear fingernail polish in a way to lock the plastic channel-change knob to the case.  If it ever needs to be removed, you can use fingernail polish to remove most of it, and then just pull the knob to remove it and finish the cleaning job.  In the meantime, use the arrow keys or keyboard to change channels.  (Just as there is more than one way to skin a cat, there is more than one way to lock a channel select knob.)

                                      David

                                      Other than the 2.5 stepping, this radio is useless in my case, pocket, wherever it is stores especially when climbing down a hill on the side of the interstate or getting into the ambulance or firetruck. If we cannot lock the channel selector knob and keep it from switching without our knowledge I might as well continue using my KG-UVD1P even though it doesn't have the 2.5 steps at least I can lock the knobs in place. Wouxun really messed this one up!!!! I am really sorry I upgraded to the UV6. Waste of money unless someone can write a program to fix the firmware. Have the UV6 sitting on my dresser like a scanner, best and safest place for it so the channels won't get changed. Now relying on my KG-UVD1P for my missions. Very disappointed.

                                      --- In KG-UV_Commander@yahoogroups.com, "stevenr437" <stevenr437@...> wrote:

                                      > LETS WORK ON FIXING THE CHANNEL SELECTOR KNOB FROM SWITCHING CHANNELS, AKA FREQUENCIES SO NO ONE GETS HURTS LIKE THE GENTLEMAN ON THE SAR MISSION AND IT MOVED WHILE IN HIS BACKPACK!!!!!! SOMEONE WRITE A PROGRAM TO LOCK THIS ASAP.
                                      >
                                      > --- In KG-UV_Commander@yahoogroups.com, "flower_xxxx" <xianhua1125@> wrote:
                                      > >
                                      > > Yes, that is one of the improvement functions for the 6D model.
                                      > >

                                      > > --- In KG-UV_Commander@yahoogroups.com, "stevenr437" <stevenr437@> wrote:
                                      > > >
                                      > > > Hello All,
                                      > > >
                                      > > > Just purchased the KG-UV6D and I was wondering if anyone knows how to program the radio so that the "Channel Selector" knob at the top of the radio next to the volume button does not move or rotate and change channels?
                                      > > >
                                      > > > When I push the "Lock"# button at the bottom right corner of the unit, it does lock the keypad to prevent accidental pushing of the DTMF keypad, but sometimes my shirt moves the channel knob at the top and I often am on the wrong channel.
                                      > > >
                                      > > > I must state that this happens in the "Channel Mode" mode. I also own the KG-UVD1P and have not had this issue. When I press the "Lock"# button on the DTMF keypad# the entire radio, including the channel selector knob at the top of the unit will not allow any movement allowing for an error. Any help would be appreciated.
                                      > > >
                                      > > > FYI-The Commander Software is excellent and I am hoping that Jim and his team will make one for the UVD6 since I am only using what was supplied by Wouxun. It works, but needs improvement. I even tried using their software checking the KEYPAD lock option as well as the AUTOLOCK option with no luck. HELLLLLPPPPP
                                      > > >
                                      > > > Thanks guys.

                                    • Mark Scriven

                                        Other than the 2.5 stepping, this radio is useless in my case, pocket, wherever it is stores especially when climbing down a hill on the side of the interstate or getting into the ambulance or firetruck. If we cannot lock the channel selector knob and keep it from switching without our knowledge I might as well continue using my KG-UVD1P even though it doesn't have the 2.5 steps at least I can lock the knobs in place. Wouxun really messed this one up!!!! I am really sorry I upgraded to the UV6. Waste of money unless someone can write a program to fix the firmware. Have the UV6 sitting on my dresser like a scanner, best and safest place for it so the channels won't get changed. Now relying on my KG-UVD1P for my missions. Very disappointed.

                                        --- In KG-UV_Commander@yahoogroups.com, "stevenr437" <stevenr437@...> wrote:

                                        > LETS WORK ON FIXING THE CHANNEL SELECTOR KNOB FROM SWITCHING CHANNELS, AKA FREQUENCIES SO NO ONE GETS HURTS LIKE THE GENTLEMAN ON THE SAR MISSION AND IT MOVED WHILE IN HIS BACKPACK!!!!!! SOMEONE WRITE A PROGRAM TO LOCK THIS ASAP.
                                        >
                                        > --- In KG-UV_Commander@yahoogroups.com, "flower_xxxx" <xianhua1125@> wrote:
                                        > >
                                        > > Yes, that is one of the improvement functions for the 6D model.
                                        > >

                                        > > --- In KG-UV_Commander@yahoogroups.com, "stevenr437" <stevenr437@> wrote:
                                        > > >
                                        > > > Hello All,
                                        > > >
                                        > > > Just purchased the KG-UV6D and I was wondering if anyone knows how to program the radio so that the "Channel Selector" knob at the top of the radio next to the volume button does not move or rotate and change channels?
                                        > > >
                                        > > > When I push the "Lock"# button at the bottom right corner of the unit, it does lock the keypad to prevent accidental pushing of the DTMF keypad, but sometimes my shirt moves the channel knob at the top and I often am on the wrong channel.
                                        > > >
                                        > > > I must state that this happens in the "Channel Mode" mode. I also own the KG-UVD1P and have not had this issue. When I press the "Lock"# button on the DTMF keypad# the entire radio, including the channel selector knob at the top of the unit will not allow any movement allowing for an error. Any help would be appreciated.
                                        > > >
                                        > > > FYI-The Commander Software is excellent and I am hoping that Jim and his team will make one for the UVD6 since I am only using what was supplied by Wouxun. It works, but needs improvement. I even tried using their software checking the KEYPAD lock option as well as the AUTOLOCK option with no luck. HELLLLLPPPPP
                                        > > >
                                        > > > Thanks guys.

                                      • David A. Behar
                                        Message 19 of 24 , Mar 16, 2012

                                          Hi Mark,

                                          If you pull off the knob, there will be a shaft sticking out that can get caught is stuff.  Also, not very aesthetic.

                                          If you cut off the shaft, you have permanently damaged the radio.

                                          If you just use some clear fingernail polish, we've accomplished the goal -- i.e., locking the shaft -- without permanently changing the radio.

                                          (Just my thoughts.)

                                          David
                                          Or, if inadvertent changing the channel with the knob bothers you that much, just remove it!  It pulls right off.  If you still think that could be a problem cut off the shaft.  Then use the up/down arrows when you need to change the channel.
                                          Mark - WQ9M

                                        • jasdel49
                                          Message 20 of 24 , Mar 16, 2012
                                            I just purchased one of the new KG-UV6 radios. I don't see what all the fuss is about the channel selector knob. After all this radio was not designed for ham radio, it was designed for commerical use. That's why the prices are so cheap. Wouxun would go broke and out of business if their market was just for the ham radio users, too small of a market.

                                            If you don't like the radio, I'll take all of them that you want to GIVE away. I don't see any issue with knob for my use. For that matter they could eliminate the keyboard too. Mine will be programmed using a computer so don't need to change settings while out and about.

                                            Everyone have fun with your new toy.

                                            73,

                                            James

                                          • n8pzt@ovi.com
                                            Message 21 of 24 , Mar 16, 2012
                                              Using this type of a radio for such a mission-critical activity as Search and Rescue does not seem practical to me.

                                              Something more robust, like the Motorola APX 7000, XPS Series, or perhaps something from the E.F. Johnson folks, or Kenwood Commercial, or Vertex Standard, would be more appropriate to your needs.

                                              S&R means that you're going to be moving around in some rather inhospitable environments at one time or another, and that radio may be your only source of COMM.

                                              My Advice: Buy A Better Radio!

                                              Check around, there are even Motorola Sabers available on eBay for $200 to $300 with a charger and battery. The non-motorola brands tend to have better programming software pricing, too, so again,, Look Around!

                                              Good luck in your search.

                                              73 de N8PZT
                                            • Thomas Carpenter
                                              Message 22 of 24 , Mar 16, 2012
                                                Maybe a better Motorola type heavy duty holster. Having used Motorola in the past, yeah the survive the drop test you could buy 2 new Wouxuns with the warranty and accessories. The only advantage I see is the Factory Mutual acceptance possibly. In these uncertain times, I think being  frugal may be in order.
                                                Another thought just how fast do you think this narrow band change over will occur? Budgets, being what they are total crossover is not going to happen at once. If it did the market would be flooded with surplus radios. That being said the prices will come down with volume.

                                                Tom Kb3hg