Re: Trouble with offsets

  • jwheatleyus
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 30, 2012
      A suggestion regarding Tones- Encode or Tx tone is generally required to access the repeater. Decode or Rx tone is not required. Decode is used to prevent squelch breaks from noise or adjacent channels or possibly from a distant repeater. I initially setup with NO Decode to make sure I am hitting the repeater. Then I turn on Decode and again verify I can hear the repeater. If the repeater is heard with Decode On, leave it on. If you don't hear the repeater with Decode on, it means that the repeater is not sending tone so you must turn tone Off.
      JohnW
      W5JHW

      --- In KG-UV_Commander@yahoogroups.com, "steve.vogel" <svdec@...> wrote:

      > If you're using the Commander software, just enter the RX frequency. Commander will calculate and enter the correct TX frequency. Sometimes the offset is +, sometimes it's -.
      >
      > --- In KG-UV_Commander@yahoogroups.com, "Rick" <riptyd64@> wrote:
      > >
      > > I dont understand how to set the offset for each individual channel
      > > I thought the offset was the difference between the RX and the TX
      > >
      > > RX 448.060
      > > -5.000
      > > Tx 443.060
      > >
      > > and
      > >
      > > Rx 147.210
      > > + 0.600
      > > Tx 147.810
      > >
      > > If this is not the case I am going to have to figure a way around my programing software as it does not have a place to enter offset.
      > >
      > > Another Question:
      > >
      > > do I enter the same tone in both encode and decode if only one is listed in the ARRL repeater guide.
      > > Sorry if these are basic questions but yes I am new.
      > >
      > > Rick
      > > KJ6TJR
      > > Fontana

    • Kuby
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 30, 2012
        Do not forget - Band-Plans are by state coordinating bodies (not ARRL) and not all states follow a standard plan, i.e. 440 band in most eastern USA (east of the Rockies) uses a + split (where RX is below 445 & TX is above).... But Southern California band plan (by SCRUBA) is flipped (due to geographical limitations CA can get away with this having minimal other state interference).

        Just like most of USA uses a 20KHz 2m spacing, but CA is 15KHz and not all simplex is simplex!

        KG: I do not care about offsets since KG's allow me to set actual TX & RX frequencies per memory (which is great for split band SAT OPS). Offset would only be used in VFO mode.