KG-UV6D

  • ralphmilnes
    Message 1 of 12 , Nov 12, 2011
      I just picked up the Wouxun KG-UV6D radio with 199 memory channels.

      Any chance KG-UV Commander will eventually support this radio?

      Ralph NM5RM
    • hinkeydo@aol.com
      Message 2 of 12 , Nov 12, 2011
        it should already

        In a message dated 11/12/2011 9:55:02 P.M. Central Standard Time, ralphmilnes@... writes:
        I just picked up the Wouxun KG-UV6D radio with 199 memory channels.

        Any chance KG-UV Commander will eventually support this radio?

        Ralph NM5RM

        <*> Your email settings:
            Individual Email | Traditional

        <*> To change settings online go to:
            (Yahoo! ID required)

        <*> To change settings via email:
            KG-UV_Commander-digest@yahoogroups.com
            KG-UV_Commander-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      • David A. Behar
        Message 3 of 12 , Nov 13, 2011
          The KG-UV6D has an internal memory layout which is different from the earlier models; therefore, the KG-UV Commander software won't work.

          For the first 128 memory locations, the internal layout of the radio's memory is the same; I don't know whether KG-UV Commander will abort if you try to use it with a KG-UV Commander.  But the memory layout after the first 128 memory locations is different, so it is possible bad things will happen if you try to write to the KG-UV6D.

          David

          Message 4 of 12 , Nov 13, 2011

            I couldn’t get KG-UV Commander to read or write to the 6D; it just doesn’t recognize the radio.

            Wouxun has unique software to program to the 6D, so I’m not surprised that the KG-UV won’t work. Unfortunately, the Wouxun software doesn’t allow cut,  copy and paste (among the reasons why KG-UV is so great). So I can’t move my memory layout from my 1P to the 6D. While the 6D has 199 memories, it’s going to be painful to program them one at a time.

            That’s why I have my fingers crossed that KG-UV or a successor will eventually be able to write to the 6D.

            Ralph NM5RM

            Message 5 of 12 , Nov 13, 2011
              Hi Ralph,

              TwEdit won't work with the KG-UV6D TW file, because the layout is different... but I guess it won't take too long for me to create a version which will work with the KG-UV6D TW programming file.

              David

              Message 6 of 12 , Mar 26, 2012
                Any updates on Commander working with KG-UV6D? I see there was talk but nothing lately.
              • David A. Behar
                Message 7 of 12 , Mar 26, 2012
                  Hi Pete,

                  I just sent an email to Jim (the developer) and I'll let you know what I learn.  (But I do know he has a family and a full-time job, so it is understandable that his time to work on this is limited.)

                  Note that I did post in the [Wouxun_KG-UVD1] group, in the Files section, in the [K7DB] folder, an Excel spreadsheet which can directly edit channel attributes in KG-UV6D "TW" files.  This might be helpful if you are configuring many channels for a KG-UV6D radio.  The posted file is Tw6Edit v0.004.zip, and the spreadsheet is in the ZIP file.

                  David / K7DB

                  Any updates on Commander working with KG-UV6D? I see there was talk but nothing lately.

                • rrblackmun
                  Message 8 of 12 , Mar 27, 2012
                    I've found the TWEdit Excel macros to be extremely effective and useful in programming both the KG-UV 1/2/3 models as well as the new KG-UV6D. Thanks very much to David for creating and posting this very useful tool.

                    --- In KG-UV_Commander@yahoogroups.com, "David A. Behar" <david271@...> wrote:

                    > Hi Pete,
                    >
                    > I just sent an email to Jim (the developer) and I'll let you know what I learn. (But I do know he has a family and a full-time job, so it is understandable that his time to work on this is limited.)
                    >
                    > Note that I did post in the [Wouxun_KG-UVD1] group, in the Files section, in the [K7DB] folder, an Excel spreadsheet which can directly edit channel attributes in KG-UV6D "TW" files. This might be helpful if you are configuring many channels for a KG-UV6D radio. The posted file is Tw6Edit v0.004.zip, and the spreadsheet is in the ZIP file.
                    >
                    > David / K7DB

                  • Stephen Brown
                    Message 9 of 12 , Mar 28, 2012
                      When setting up the Excel Spreadsheet for the KG-UV6D, do you use TWEdit first, then use the Native KG-UV6D software from Wouxou to import the spreadsheet?

                      When I first starting using the Wouxon software, I tried to Save a .tw file, and it took forever, only to fail in the end.

                      It was shortly after doing some research, I found instructions to not use the Wouxon KG-UV6D software to save .tw files, as they did not work properly.

                      The software programs the KG-UV6D fine, however, and I've had no trouble with it for that purpose.

                      Summarizing, I need to know if you're using TWEdit to prepare an Excel Spreadsheet first, and if you are using the Wouxon software to do the actual programming.

                      Thank you for the help,
                      de
                      N8PZT.  73.

                      On 03/27/12 07:31, rrblackmun wrote:

                      I've found the TWEdit Excel macros to be extremely effective and useful in programming both the KG-UV 1/2/3 models as well as the new KG-UV6D. Thanks very much to David for creating and posting this very useful tool.

                      --- In KG-UV_Commander@yahoogroups.com, "David A. Behar" <david271@...> wrote:

                      > Hi Pete,
                      >
                      > I just sent an email to Jim (the developer) and I'll let you know what I learn. (But I do know he has a family and a full-time job, so it is understandable that his time to work on this is limited.)
                      >
                      > Note that I did post in the [Wouxun_KG-UVD1] group, in the Files section, in the [K7DB] folder, an Excel spreadsheet which can directly edit channel attributes in KG-UV6D "TW" files. This might be helpful if you are configuring many channels for a KG-UV6D radio. The posted file is Tw6Edit v0.004.zip, and the spreadsheet is in the ZIP file.
                      >
                      > David / K7DB

                    • wouxunus
                      Message 10 of 12 , Mar 28, 2012
                        I believe you misread the information about saving .tw files. The first version of UV6D software would allow you to open a .tw file that was made for pre-UV6D radios (128 channels). Writing one of these files to a UV6D would brick it. The second version of software fixed this problem by not allowing an old .tw file to be opened.

                        73
                        Ed Griffin
                        www.Wouxun.US

                        --- In KG-UV_Commander@yahoogroups.com, Stephen Brown <n8pzt@...> wrote:

                        > When setting up the Excel Spreadsheet for the KG-UV6D, do you use TWEdit
                        > first, then use the Native KG-UV6D software from Wouxou to import the
                        > spreadsheet?
                        >
                        > When I first starting using the Wouxon software, I tried to Save a .tw
                        > file, and it took forever, only to fail in the end.
                        >
                        > It was shortly after doing some research, I found instructions to not
                        > use the Wouxon KG-UV6D software to save .tw files, as they did not work
                        > properly.
                        >
                        > The software programs the KG-UV6D fine, however, and I've had no trouble
                        > with it for that purpose.
                        >
                        > Summarizing, I need to know if you're using TWEdit to prepare an Excel
                        > Spreadsheet first, and if you are using the Wouxon software to do the
                        > actual programming.
                        >
                        > Thank you for the help,
                        > de
                        > N8PZT. 73.
                        >
                        > On 03/27/12 07:31, rrblackmun wrote:
                        > >
                        > > I've found the TWEdit Excel macros to be extremely effective and
                        > > useful in programming both the KG-UV 1/2/3 models as well as the new
                        > > KG-UV6D. Thanks very much to David for creating and posting this very
                        > > useful tool.
                        > >
                        > > --- In KG-UV_Commander@yahoogroups.com
                        > > <mailto:KG-UV_Commander%40yahoogroups.com>, "David A. Behar"
                        > > <david271@> wrote:
                        > > >
                        > > > Hi Pete,
                        > > >
                        > > > I just sent an email to Jim (the developer) and I'll let you know
                        > > what I learn. (But I do know he has a family and a full-time job, so
                        > > it is understandable that his time to work on this is limited.)
                        > > >
                        > > > Note that I did post in the [Wouxun_KG-UVD1] group, in the Files
                        > > section, in the [K7DB] folder, an Excel spreadsheet which can directly
                        > > edit channel attributes in KG-UV6D "TW" files. This might be helpful
                        > > if you are configuring many channels for a KG-UV6D radio. The posted
                        > > file is Tw6Edit v0.004.zip, and the spreadsheet is in the ZIP file.
                        > > >
                        > > > David / K7DB

                      • Stephen Brown
                        Message 11 of 12 , Mar 28, 2012
                          wouxunus,

                          Thanks for that clarification.  Actually, I was having difficulty sifting through the morass of this issue.  Your answer clarifies it.

                          What I do not understand, however, is why native software doesn't allow me to save a .tw file for my own radio, but it would allow me to open it.

                          I'm just going to wait until the Commander software is ready.  Less trouble that way.

                          --Stephen

                          --

                        • Bob Blackmun
                          Message 12 of 12 , Mar 29, 2012
                            It's critically important that any programming for the new KG-UV6D
                            models only use software for that model. Using software for the KG-UV
                            1/2/3 models will destroy the radio. The same is true for using the
                            correct software for the KG-UV 1/2/3's -- do not use the KG-UV6D software.

                            To program the KG-UV6D using David Bahar's TW6Edit v.004 .xls macro,
                            use MS Excel to create a .xls file (that you should probably save), and
                            then enter a full path-name for the folder where you will save the .tw
                            file into cell F2 of the spreadsheet. When you click on the "write" in
                            cell C2, the .tw file will be written to the folder specified in cell
                            F2. There won't be any message that it's been written, so you'll need
                            to look at that folder (Win Explorer) to verify that it is there. Then,
                            open the Wouxun KG-UV6DPv2.5K.exe program (do not use any other program
                            to write to the HT!), 'read' from the radio to verify that your cable
                            and driver work correctly, 'open' the .tw file created above, and the
                            'write' to the radio.

                            This is the same procedure that's used to program the KG-UV 1/2/3 models
                            using TWEdit v.0003 and Wouxun's KG-UVD1P 2.0.exe / KG-UV2D.exe /
                            KG-UV3D.exe to write the .tw file to the radio.

                            --
                            Bob Blackmun
                            KK4ATB