Re: Commander won't Read or Write Files????

  • jwheatleyus
    Message 1 of 11 , Oct 19, 2011
      I have not made any changes other than Windows updates. I thought an uninstall and reinstall would be the fix but not any change. I hoped the developer might chime in with an idea of what could cause the File dialog to fail to display. I have a spare computer that works, so a little wait doesn't hurt.
      JohnW
      W5JHW

      --- In KG-UV_Commander@yahoogroups.com, JOHN HENRY DAVIS <johnhenrydavisjr@...> wrote:

      > *John, have you recently made some changes to your system or installed some
      > new software that may be causing this, possibly doing a system restore of
      > your computer back to a date when Commander was working properly could be
      > the fix
      > *
      >
      > --
      >

      > Thank You and have a Great Day !!
      >
      > John Henry Davis, Jr.

    • jimbo_48393
      Message 2 of 11 , Oct 20, 2011
        Not sure what would cause that. If you have any network drives mapped, disconnect them and try again.

        Jim
        KC8UNJ

        --- In KG-UV_Commander@yahoogroups.com, "jwheatleyus" <taoswheat@...> wrote:

        > I have not made any changes other than Windows updates. I thought an uninstall and reinstall would be the fix but not any change. I hoped the developer might chime in with an idea of what could cause the File dialog to fail to display. I have a spare computer that works, so a little wait doesn't hurt.
        > JohnW
        > W5JHW
        >
        > --- In KG-UV_Commander@yahoogroups.com, JOHN HENRY DAVIS <johnhenrydavisjr@> wrote:
        > >
        > > *John, have you recently made some changes to your system or installed some
        > > new software that may be causing this, possibly doing a system restore of
        > > your computer back to a date when Commander was working properly could be
        > > the fix
        > > *
        > >
        > > --
        > >

        > > Thank You and have a Great Day !!
        > >
        > > John Henry Davis, Jr.

      • Steve Peterson
        Message 3 of 11 , Oct 21, 2011

          Did you open from a jump drive?  Or save to one?  Stick it back in and save to your HDD.

          On Oct 17, 2011 9:36 PM, "jwheatleyus" <taoswheat@...> wrote:

          I have been using KG-UV Commander since it became available with no problems until now- It will Read or Write to the radio, but if I try any file operation like Save, Open, etc, the program hangs. For example, if I hit Save, no Save Dialog appears and all key presses give an error sound. I have to use Task Manager to kill the process.
          I uninstalled and reinstalled with no effect.
          Any ideas?
          JohnW
          W5JHW

        • jwheatleyus
          Message 4 of 11 , Oct 21, 2011
            Operating from hard drive only. Very strange- the program is waiting for user input but no file open dialog is visible.
            JohnW
            W5JHW

            --- In KG-UV_Commander@yahoogroups.com, Steve Peterson <sjpete75@...> wrote:

            > Did you open from a jump drive? Or save to one? Stick it back in and save
            > to your HDD.
            > On Oct 17, 2011 9:36 PM, "jwheatleyus" <taoswheat@...> wrote:
            >
            > > **
            > >

            > > I have been using KG-UV Commander since it became available with no
            > > problems until now- It will Read or Write to the radio, but if I try any
            > > file operation like Save, Open, etc, the program hangs. For example, if I
            > > hit Save, no Save Dialog appears and all key presses give an error sound. I
            > > have to use Task Manager to kill the process.
            > > I uninstalled and reinstalled with no effect.
            > > Any ideas?
            > > JohnW
            > > W5JHW

          • Steve Peterson
            Message 5 of 11 , Oct 21, 2011

              Darn.

              On Oct 21, 2011 4:59 PM, "jwheatleyus" <taoswheat@...> wrote:

              Operating from hard drive only. Very strange- the program is waiting for user input but no file open dialog is visible.
              JohnW
              W5JHW

              --- In KG-UV_Commander@yahoogroups.com, Steve Peterson <sjpete75@...> wrote:

              > Did you open from a jump drive? Or save to one? Stick it back in and save
              > to your HDD.
              > On Oct 17, 2011 9:36 PM, "jwheatleyus" <taoswheat@...> wrote:
              >
              > > **
              > >

              > > I have been using KG-UV Commander since it became available with no
              > > problems until now- It will Read or Write to the radio, but if I try any
              > > file operation like Save, Open, etc, the program hangs. For example, if I
              > > hit Save, no Save Dialog appears and all key presses give an error sound. I
              > > have to use Task Manager to kill the process.
              > > I uninstalled and reinstalled with no effect.
              > > Any ideas?
              > > JohnW
              > > W5JHW

            • Chuck Graham
              Message 6 of 11 , Oct 21, 2011

                In case you haven’t seen this, I hadn’t, a 2 page guide is attached.

                Enjoy,

                Chuck Graham, KI6DCD

                EDS/SATERN Cochairman

                Salvation Army Concord Corps

              • jwheatleyus
                Message 7 of 11 , Jan 13, 2012
                  Problem Resolved- It was really a sneaky one. I have a seldom used second monitor that I use with PSDR and my Kenwood TS-940SAT. The KG-UV Commander file dialog popups decided to jump to the second monitor which was not turned on, thus the popups were hidden. I don't know what caused the file popups to change monitors, but I know to be aware of this action next time.
                  JohnW
                  W5JHW