Can't get commander to work with Serial Cable

  • Garrett
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 1 3:12 AM
      For some reason, I can not get Commander to read my radios. I am using a serial cable, and not usb. I have tried two different cables and three different computers, two are XP and one is Win7. The Wouxun program works fine on all of the computers and with the same two cables. Currently I am using the Wouxun software to read and write, and using Commander to edit, but I would like to just use Commander. I have ensured that the com port is set correctly also. Does anyone have any idea what could be going on? Does Commander not work with a regular serial cable?
    • Terry
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 1 5:41 PM
        Garrett

        As I have posted previously on these Forums - and received no
        response.

        "Most 'Level Converters' (ie., the Serial cable) come in two
        flavours, either discrete components, or Max232 chips, and are
        meant to be powered by the Serial Port, which is actually a
        non-Standard use. Kenwood uses the RTS/CTS pins for this purpose,
        while others also use TX Data, and/or the DTR/DSR pins. The
        software needs to be written to accommodate the non-standard use
        of these pins. ie., to be regularly 'toggled' between 'High' and
        'Low', or held High for the duration of the session."

        Whether KG-UV Commander is written to provide power to the
        applicable pins, is unknown. Without power to the applicable
        pins, the Serial cable will not work.

        I mention Kenwood, above, as most of the Wouxun accessories are
        based on Kenwood configurations.

        --
        Terry