Re: Commander experience and feedback

  • jwheatleyus
    Message 1 of 22 , Aug 31 4:15 PM
      Which serial cable? USB or real serial? Which operating system? If USB, it does need a driver. IF XP look in Cntrol Panel, System, Hardware, Device Manager. You will see any Serial Ports listed. Verify that the Port number is what you setup the program for. Also make sure the radio end connector is REALLY plugged in completely. I recently programmed a new UVD3 and the connector fit was really tight where the cable connector shell must go into the radio cutout. The program does work just fine.
      JohnW
      W5JHW

    • n1evh@verizon.net
      Message 2 of 22 , Aug 31 6:26 PM
        Well... I installed the drivers... connected my USB programming
        cable... my computer (Win XP) found the programming cable. I
        then went into the Control Panel to find out what ComPort number
        it was assigned (I changed it to Com 2).

        I then installed the KG-UV Commander software.  I went int and
        set the Port to Com 2. I then told it to read from the rado.  It did
        a few things but then I got the infamous BSOD (Blue Screen Of
        Death)

        So... I shut down my computer and rebooted it. When it came
        back up... I ran the KG-UV Commander software.  This time it
        did successfully read from my radio.

        Programmed in a few memories in the program and wrote them
        to the radio.  It then took me awhile to figure out how to switch
        between Frequency/VFO mode to memory mode.

        Now... people have reported having some errors with the radio
        when programming in a a receive frequency that is outside of
        the radio's receive range. How about if programming a transmit
        frequency that is out of the transmit range???  My radio has a
        UHF receive/transmit range of 420 to 520MHz.  When I program
        in local police and fire freqs... I would like to put in a transmit
        frequency below 420MHz... so I won't accidently transmit on
        any of those frequencies.  Can this be done???

        Mike - N1EVH

        Date: 8/31/2011 3:44:08 PM

        Hi friends, and welcome to our new members!  (We're up to 277 members at last count.)

        It's been a while, so I'd like to again encourage KG-UV Commander software users to share their experience with the software.  Are you a previous user of the Wouxun user who switched to Commander?

        What is working well?  Anything not working?  Any problems that you were able to overcome... and if so, how did you do it?

        Any tips or tricks?

        I look forward to hearing with people have to say!

        David / K7DB

      • jwheatleyus
        Message 3 of 22 , Aug 31 6:38 PM
          Just leave Tx Freq Blank and it will not transmit. Use backspace to clear any Tx entry.
          JohnW
          W5JHW

          --- In KG-UV_Commander@yahoogroups.com, "n1evh@..." <n1evh@...> wrote:

          > Well... I installed the drivers... connected my USB programming
          > cable... my computer (Win XP) found the programming cable. I
          > then went into the Control Panel to find out what ComPort number
          > it was assigned (I changed it to Com 2).
          >
          > I then installed the KG-UV Commander software. I went int and
          > set the Port to Com 2. I then told it to read from the rado. It did
          > a few things but then I got the infamous BSOD (Blue Screen Of
          > Death)
          >
          > So... I shut down my computer and rebooted it. When it came
          > back up... I ran the KG-UV Commander software. This time it
          > did successfully read from my radio.
          >
          > Programmed in a few memories in the program and wrote them
          > to the radio. It then took me awhile to figure out how to switch
          > between Frequency/VFO mode to memory mode.
          >
          > Now... people have reported having some errors with the radio
          > when programming in a a receive frequency that is outside of
          > the radio's receive range. How about if programming a transmit
          > frequency that is out of the transmit range??? My radio has a
          > UHF receive/transmit range of 420 to 520MHz. When I program
          > in local police and fire freqs... I would like to put in a transmit
          > frequency below 420MHz... so I won't accidently transmit on
          > any of those frequencies. Can this be done???
          >
          > Mike - N1EVH

        • Pete Theer
          Message 4 of 22 , Aug 31 7:06 PM
            Hi Mike,
            If I understand you, it's a piece of cake.  To put in a monitor only freq, just leave the transmit frequency blank.  When the software automatically duplicates your receive freq in the transmit column, just type in the number 0 (Zero), then backup the cursor over it and press enter.  If there's nothing in the transmit column it won't transmit.

            Pete
            K5PRT

             When I program
            in local police and fire freqs... I would like to put in a transmit
            frequency below 420MHz... so I won't accidently transmit on
            any of those frequencies.  Can this be done???

            Mike - N1EVH

          • Chuck Graham
            Message 5 of 22 , Aug 31 7:17 PM

              We also leave out TX freq on out of the band signals here at the Concord Corps SATERN unit in CA.  Our county uses the first 42 channels all the same in case you loan or borrow an HT you know what’s there.

              Chuck Graham, KI6DCD

              EDS/SATERN Cochairman

              Salvation Army Concord Corps

              Just leave Tx Freq Blank and it will not transmit. Use backspace to clear any Tx entry.
              JohnW
              W5JHW

              --- In KG-UV_Commander@yahoogroups.com, "n1evh@..." <n1evh@...> wrote:

              > Well... I installed the drivers... connected my USB programming
              > cable... my computer (Win XP) found the programming cable. I
              > then went into the Control Panel to find out what ComPort number
              > it was assigned (I changed it to Com 2).
              >
              > I then installed the KG-UV Commander software. I went int and
              > set the Port to Com 2. I then told it to read from the rado. It did
              > a few things but then I got the infamous BSOD (Blue Screen Of
              > Death)
              >
              > So... I shut down my computer and rebooted it. When it came
              > back up... I ran the KG-UV Commander software. This time it
              > did successfully read from my radio.
              >
              > Programmed in a few memories in the program and wrote them
              > to the radio. It then took me awhile to figure out how to switch
              > between Frequency/VFO mode to memory mode.
              >
              > Now... people have reported having some errors with the radio
              > when programming in a a receive frequency that is outside of
              > the radio's receive range. How about if programming a transmit
              > frequency that is out of the transmit range??? My radio has a
              > UHF receive/transmit range of 420 to 520MHz. When I program
              > in local police and fire freqs... I would like to put in a transmit
              > frequency below 420MHz... so I won't accidently transmit on
              > any of those frequencies. Can this be done???
              >
              > Mike - N1EVH

              No virus found in this message.

            • n1evh@verizon.net
              Message 6 of 22 , Aug 31 8:04 PM
                Ahhhh.. ok.  Not only will this be good to use on various local
                police and fire freqs so I don't accidently transmit on them,
                but it will also be good to use on NOAA WX radio freqs too
                (although I could use the "Busy Lck" option in the software).

                Thnaks for the info/tip.

                Mike - N1EVH

                Just leave Tx Freq Blank and it will not transmit.  Use backspace to clear any Tx entry.
                JohnW
                W5JHW

                --- In KG-UV_Commander@yahoogroups.com, "n1evh@..." <n1evh@...> wrote:

                > Now... people have reported having some errors with the radio
                > when programming in a a receive frequency that is outside of
                > the radio's receive range. How about if programming a transmit
                > frequency that is out of the transmit range???  My radio has a
                > UHF receive/transmit range of 420 to 520MHz.  When I program
                > in local police and fire freqs... I would like to put in a transmit
                > frequency below 420MHz... so I won't accidently transmit on
                > any of those frequencies.  Can this be done???
                >
                > Mike - N1EVH

              • Tom
                Message 7 of 22 , Sep 1, 2011
                  Ok, The USB drivers generally refer to the level converter, probably a PL2303 Prolific Driver. USB to serial port.

                  Message 8 of 22 , Sep 1, 2011
                    Program a simplex frequency in the ham band.

                    Yes, it can be done.

                    Tom Kb3hg

                    Message 9 of 22 , Sep 1, 2011
                      I am using a serial cable plugged into a DB9 port COM1 the computer is
                      running XP Pro I have checked the device manager and lists it as COM1
                      and working properly.  I have been able to use the Wouxun software and
                      chirp with the radio and have gone directly from tring to use
                      commander to using them without any cable or radio changes and have
                      had no problem.  My cable is a Kenwood cable from KawaMall on ebay
                      that does the ht and the mobile.  I have also tried a friends Wouxun
                      serial cable and have had no problems.

                      I have also noted the following:

                      When read with the Wouxum software the radio never restarts.
                      Red light comes on and green light flashes during the read process.

                      When read with commander software
                      Red light flashes green light flashes. Restart of radio red light
                      flashes green light flashes
                      radio restarts error radio not found

                      I have uploaded the logs someone else suggested last time I posted
                      about the problem in the files section under logs then KC9HDP 062411.

                      I do not understand what they are to even look like to know how to
                      tell what is not working correctly.

                      Larry
                      KC9HDP

                    • n1evh@verizon.net
                      Message 10 of 22 , Sep 1, 2011
                        Well... a few others said if you leave the transmit frequency as
                        "blank"... the radio won't transmit on that receive frequency. So
                        I'll do this instead of putting in a simplex frequency in the ham
                        band.

                        I would rather have the TX disabled when listening to a local
                        police or fire frequency... instead of having my radio accidently
                        get keyed up and possibly causing interference on a simplex
                        frequency that may be in use by people... which could be taken
                        as a violation of 97.101(d)...
                        - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
                        No amateur operator shall willfully or maliciously interfere
                        with or cause interference to any radio communication or signal.
                        - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

                        I know... some people will say you're not "willfully or maliciously"
                        interfering with a communication if you set a transmit frequency
                        to a police/fire channel to a ham simplex frequency just incase
                        you "accidently" transmit... but why take a chance???

                        So this is why I was questioning out putting in a transmit frequency
                        that was outside of the radios receive/transmit range. So since
                        others have said the transmit can be disabled by leaving the
                        transmit frequency blank... this is what I'll do.

                        Mike - N1EVH

                        Program a simplex frequency in the ham band.

                        Yes, it can be done.

                        Tom Kb3hg

                      • Ed Greany
                        Message 11 of 22 , Sep 1, 2011
                          I prefer to program a MURS frequency in the TX spot on any public safety frequency I wish to monitor. This makes things legal since MURS is a non-license band whereas any ham simplex frequency would still technically require IDing if keyed.

                          Ed Greany

                          Message 12 of 22 , Sep 1, 2011
                            Mike, save the lecture,You asked if you could transmit below 420,  You probably could. I suggested a simplex frequency if your going to key the mike.

                            I would like to put in a transmit
                            > frequency below 420MHz... so I won't accidently transmit on
                            > any of those frequencies.  Can this be done???
                            >
                            > Mike - N1EVH

                            Be careful what you ask for, you may get it.

                            Tom Kb3hg

                            Message 13 of 22 , Sep 1, 2011
                              Uhhhh... no Tom.... I didn't ask if I could transmit below 420MHz.
                              I asked if I can program a frequency that is OUTSIDE of my radio's
                              transmit AND receive range so the radio won't transmit if it were
                              to ACCIDENTLY get keyed up when listening to a local police
                              or fire frequency (you know... like in a Kenwood, Icom, or Yaesu
                              radio that hasn't been modified... when you try to transmit outside
                              of the ham bands.... it will display "TX ERROR or something else
                              similar).

                              I've seen people talking about how a radio gives an ERROR when
                              writing data to the radio if the RECEIVE frequency is out of the
                              receive raige of the radio... so I was wondering/curious if the radio
                              would accept a memory that is written to the radio in which the
                              receive frequency is within the radio's receive range but the
                              TRANSMIT frequency being OUTSIDE of the receive range.

                              By putting a ham simplex frequency as the transmit frequency
                              in a memory for listening the local police, fire, and so on... I guess
                              if you don't care that you may interfere with a QSO that may be
                              taking place on a simplex frequency... then by all means... you
                              can go right ahead and do that. Causing interference to a QSO
                              on a simplex frequency because I was listening to a local police
                              or fire frequency and I had a ham simplex frequency programmed
                              for its transmit frequency and my radio accidently got keyed up,
                              is something that I personally would like to AVOID.

                              And... its not a lecture... its called COMMON SENSE.

                              By the way...  since others in here have said that if you leave the
                              TRANSMIT frequency BLANK that the radio won't transmit... then
                              Iin a way I did get what I asked for... how to DISABLE the transmit

                              It seems like others had NO PROBLEM in understanding what it
                              was that I wanted to do.

                              Mike - N1EVH

                              Message 14 of 22 , Sep 1, 2011
                                And yes I know of people that are using it below 420 legally .

                              • n1evh@verizon.net
                                Message 15 of 22 , Sep 1, 2011
                                  Using a MURS freq isn't a bad idea...I could even put in an FRS
                                  frequency... but I still like how others have said to leave the transmit
                                  frequency blank when programming a local police or fire frequency to
                                  pretty much disable the radio from accidently transmitting.

                                  Not only could unknowingly transmitting on a ham simplex frequency
                                  cause interference to a QSO on that simplex frequency... but yeah,
                                  technically you would still have to ID

                                  Again... more common sense because those ARE the rules... NOT
                                  lecturing

                                  Mike - N1EVH

                                  Message 16 of 22 , Sep 1, 2011

                                    If you want a channel to be receive only, it sure doesn't make sense (to me) to put ANY transmit frequency in the channel.  Just use the KG-UV Commander software and leave the xmit freq blank.

                                    The one caveat to that is that if for whatever reason you don't have access to a computer/software/cable and need to put in a new channel, I think you will be required to put something as a transmit frequency.  Here is a strategy that might work...

                                    1) Change the "offset" to a large value.  2) Use the VFO feature and the menu to set up the receive freq you want, and choose the offset direction so it will be beyond the configured transmit limits of the radio; 3) Store the frequency in a channel.

                                    With this procedure if you try to transmit on the channel, nothing will happen.

                                    Example: Let's say you want to monitor police frequency 155.580 mHz.  So you set the offset to minus 70 mHz, and store 155.580 mHz with an offset of DOWN (which would mean transmitting on 85.580 mHz).  Since 85.580 mHz is way beyond the programmed transmit limits, I believe if you key down you will just hear a tone, and no transmitting will occur.

                                    Note that the transmit frequency stored in a channel will depend on the offset configuration at the time the channel is stored.  If you later change the offset to 600 kHz, there will be no change in the channels already stored.

                                    If you try this, please let us know whether it works -- thanks :)

                                    David