August 31 Meeting Notes

  • Teri
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 20, 2006
      On August 31 the KCBA PARALEGAL COMMITTEE had its first meeting for
      2006-2007, and what an exciting, energizing meeting it turned out to
      be! Thanks to all who attended!

      We had 11 people in attendance and spent several minutes getting to
      know each other (oh, and eating lunch provided by the firm of
      Kinnally Flaherty Krentz & Loran).

      The role and function of the Committee was discussed in detail.
      According to the by-laws, our role and function is: To make
      attorneys and the public aware of the ways in which efficient use of
      paralegals can improve the efficiency of the practice of law, keep
      costs down, and improve communication with clients. To provide
      paralegals with continuing education, awareness of ethical issues,
      and networking opportunities.

      Keeping these guidelines in mind, we discussed the following:

      a. Community Service. Several different options were
      discussed, including Hearts in Motion, Prairie State and Habitat for
      Humanity.

      b. Field Trip. A visit to the Appellate Court in Elgin for a
      tour and seminar on "The Life of an Appeal." Watch your emails for
      details. (Thanks, Greg & Barb!). P.S. Don't forget to read your
      July Bar Brief for new Supreme Court Rules regarding the format of
      Appellate Court Briefs which went into effect September 1.

      c. Efficient Use of Paralegals. Paralegal's role in client
      relationships and communications and unauthorized practice of law.

      d. Office and Case Organization. Tracking tools and
      spreadsheets for all areas of practice, from med mal to real estate.

      e. Networking. Sharing experience and knowledge with other
      members, distributing contact information (with area of "expertise")
      to all members and creating an email group for the same purpose.

      Future meetings will be held on the third Wednesday of the month
      beginning at 12:00 at the KCBA office (we were hoping to meet the
      2nd Wednesday of each month but Estate & Probate beat us to the
      room!). We are also looking for firms to sponsor future lunches for
      the committee. If your firm is interested, please let us know. Next
      meeting will be held on Wednesday, 9-20-06.

      On the agenda for next month:

      More about community service, practical ways to share information
      and ideas, workshops and planning the field trip to Elgin. Ideas
      are always welcome!