Looking for Adoptee Photos

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 27, 2010
      Looking for Adoptee Photos

      Hello, my name is Elizabeth Lewin. I am a Korean adoptee living in
      Washington DC.

      Recently my sister (my biological twin) received a Fulbright
      Scholarship to teach English and is stationed in Mokpo. This has been
      an interesting experience for her and me. Even though I am still in
      the US I feel that this journey is as much mine as it is hers'. I am
      in many ways witness and advocate. My sister is interested in getting
      to know her Korean culture while I am interested in the adopted Korean
      diaspora existing and approaching adulthood in America.

      It has recently come to my attention that a majority of adopted Korean
      have a photo of themselves and their foster mother seated together
      agencies would send this photo to the soon to be adoptive parents. My
      parents have noted that when they were at the airport to receive my
      sister and I there were other adoptive parents with similar
      photographs, it was something physical that connects us all. I have
      one of these photos I also have a photo of myself and my sister when
      we were newborns. It is an odd photo we are sort of plopped on a
      blanket.

      I am in search of these photos. I would like to document these photos
      in an artist video I am preparing for. I will be traveling to Korea in
      January to visit my sister. I wish to begin shooting whenever
      possible.

      Anonymity will be honored, credit will be given. This is something for
      me as much as it is an exercise in my artistic practice. If my video
      comes into being I will submit it to several video databanks and
      shows.

      If you are interested in helping me by submitting a photo, please
      contac me at elizabeth.tannie.lewin@...

      Thank you for your time and consideration,
      Sincerely
      E Lewin