Korean Adoptees for Fair Records Access

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 22 11:42 AM
      Korean Adoptees for Fair Records Access

      A facebook group for Korean adoptees who have experienced undue
      difficulty accessing their records.

      Between 1995-2005, 76,646 adoptees have returned to Korea to search
      for their natural parents. That's over 61% of all adult adoptees! Only
      2,113 (2.7%) have succeeded.

      Are these poor rates of success due to our prospects, or due to
      ADOPTION AGENCY SUCCESS AT BARRING ACCESS TO OUR DOCUMENTS?

      We believe it is the latter, and we know from experience that
      discouraging tactics are employed to withhold records whenever
      possible.

      The Hague Convention on Intercountry Adoption protects the identity of
      adoptees, yet despite there being 78 other member countries, S. Korea
      has yet to join. Current efforts to prepare for joining the Hague
      Convention are inadequate and rely on adoption agency cooperation,
      with little or no oversight.

      The combined voices of the over 70,000 can not be ignored by the
      Korean government. We want to document our suppression, so future
      adoptees are not turned away with no clues about their histories and
      current adoptees can try again and get the proper respect they deserve
      and access to documents about their own lives.

      If you have experienced ANY DIFFICULTY currently or in the past
      getting fair access to your records, please join our group and share
      your experience on our wall.

      Please stand up and be counted - and spread the word! Tell your FB
      friends, other KAD groups, and KAD organizations!

      http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=108388226573