HAWAI'I KOREAN ADOPTEES HOST FILM FESTIVAL ON O'AHU

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 11, 2008
      Monday, Feb. 11, 2008
      FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

      Contact: KAHI Film Festival Selection Committee, info@...

      HAWAI'I KOREAN ADOPTEES HOST FILM FESTIVAL ON O'AHU

      International Participants to Gather in Honolulu in October

      Korean Adoptees of Hawai'i (KAHI), a nonprofit organization based on
      O'ahu, is pleased to announce the first-ever Asian Adoptee Film
      Festival, to be held in
      conjunction with the Asian Adult Adoptee Gathering in Honolulu from
      Oct. 10-13, 2008. Screenings of films by artists adopted from Asian
      countries will primarily be
      held at the Doris Duke Theatre at the Honolulu Academy of Arts on
      Saturday, Oct. 11, 2008.

      KAHI invites film submissions that are original works addressing the
      theme of adoption or the experience of being adoptees, either
      directed, written or produced by
      adult Asian adoptees. Films may be narratives, documentaries or
      features of any length. Multiple submissions are encouraged.

      Entries should be submitted in DVD format no later than March 30,
      2008, to:

      Korean Adoptees of Hawai'i
      ATTN: Film Festival Selection Committee
      47-671 Hui Kelu Street, Unit 2
      Kaneohe HI 96744-4627
      USA

      Entries will not be returned. For more information or for additional
      submission guidelines, please contact KAHI at info@..., or
      visit
      www.KAHawaii.org/mini08.

      The Asian Adult Adoptee Gathering and Film Festival is an event that
      has evolved from previous international gatherings of transnationally
      adopted Koreans, held since
      1999 in locations including Seoul, Oslo and Washington, D.C., and
      smaller-scale gatherings in U.S. cities such as New York, Las Vegas,
      Seattle, San Francisco,
      Chicago and Minneapolis. This is the first-ever event of its kind to
      be held in Hawai'i.

      The Asian Adult Adoptee Gathering and Film Festival is a celebration
      of the range of experiences - from the unique to the unifying - found
      among the diverse diaspora
      and global community of adoptees of Asian descent. The Gathering and
      Film Festival are expected to draw upward of 100 visitors from
      Hawai'i and the mainland
      United States, and such international locations as Sweden, Denmark,
      Australia and South Korea.

      KAHI will also welcome members of the general public to the Oct. 11
      film screenings, which will represent a unique aspect of the Asian-
      Pacific immigrant experience
      that has been historically underrepresented in the mainstream and
      even art-house film circuits. The Doris Duke Theatre will manage
      ticketing for this special event this
      autumn and will feature selected films in its newsletter.

      Businesses, organizations and individuals interested in sponsorship
      opportunities for the film festival or the Asian Adult Adoptee
      Gathering are invited to contact KAHI
      for further information.

      Korean Adoptees of Hawai'i (KAHI) is a nonprofit organization founded
      upon the experiences of adult Korean adoptees, working to build a
      supportive community in Hawai'i through public outreach, networking,
      education and sharing resources. KAHI believes in fostering awareness
      about adoption and identity, recognizing that we, as a community, can
      extend our reach beyond what we can accomplish individually.