This Week: June 9 - 15, 2012

  • Amy Stutt
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 6, 2012

      Celebrate our Jewish souls
      Expand our Jewish minds
        Reconstruct our Jewish hearts

      ALL EVENTS HELD IN THE ACTIVITY ROOM OF THE UUCA UNLESS OTHERWISE NOTED
      UUCA –  4444 ARLINGTON BLVD ,  ARLINGTON ,  VA  22204

      Yahrzeit:
      This Shabbat, we will be commemorating the yahrzeit of Vivian Ruth, Vikhne bat Avram v'Ester, beloved mother of  Richard RuthPlease join us at services to ensure we have a minyan and that those in mourning or who are commemorating a yahrzeit will be able to recite the Mourner's Kaddish.
       Your presence is a mitzvah!

      Friday, June 8, Pizza will be served at 6:30pm, Service will be held at 7:30pm
      Pizza Dinner & Shabbat Service:  Before our Shabbat Service we will enjoy a pizza dinner and salad (cost of $10/person, $20/family 2+ people).  Then when our tummys are full, the students in our Jewish Children's Education Program will conduct the Friday night Shabbat Service. The service will focus on an environmental theme which was developed with the assistance of Rabbi Gilah Langner. More information will follow about RSVP for the dinner

      You are encouraged to bring a contribution to share for the oneg following the service.

      Sunday, June 10
      12:30 pm  - Book Club:  We are reading "The Girl from Foreignby Sadia  Shepard.   Ms. Shepard, a documentary film makeris the daughter of a while Protestant from Colorado and a Muslim from Pakistan .  In the book , Ms. Shepard searches for family roots in India.   We will meet at  La Casa Restaurant in the Foxchase Shopping Center, 4551 Duke Street, Alexandria

      4:00 - 7:00pm (in the Chapel) - Kol Ami's Annual Meeting:  Please mark your calendars now to attend our annual meeting.  Our new slate of officers will be elected and our committee chairs will discuss the state of their programs.   Additionally, the budget for FY 2013 will be presented and members will vote on the proposed bylaws, and the adult B'nei Mitzvah guidelines.  Come to the Annual Meeting to show your support for Kol Ami and help shape its future.

      Tzedakah boxes will be collected at the meeting: If you have any full or partially full Kol Ami Tzedakah boxes you'd like to turn in, please bring them to the Annual Meeting and we'll be happy to collect them there.  If you would like a receipt for your donation (which can be e-mailed to you later), please put your name on a piece of paper and place it inside the can with the change.  For any cans we collect, we'll be happy to give you a new can to take home.  Thank you in advance for your generousity.

      5:00 pm - JCEP (last class of school year)

                     Adult B'nei Mitzvah class

      UPCOMING EVENTS:

      Saturday, June 16,
      10:00am; Shabbat Service: Support Teen Leyners - Please join the Rabbi Leila and the Kol Ami community in supporting Amanda Infeld and Gabrielle Jawer, two recent Kol Ami Bat Mitzvah.  They will be leyning from the Torah along with Marchel Infeld. Participants are encouraged to bring a dairy/vegetarian dish to share for the potluck kiddush following the service.

      Approx. Noon: After services, Rabbi Leila will lead the lasst of a three part series on "Everyday Jewish Living; A Reconstructionist Approach.  To facilitate  the discussion and add valuable insight, please purchase A Guide to Jewish Practice – vol. 1 — Everyday Living by Rabbi David A. Teutsch.  Some of the topics covered in the book that may be part of Rabbi Leila's study group are:

        Everyday spirituality

          The ethics of speech

          Family and Sexual Ethics

          Community, G'milut Chesed (Deeds of Kindness) and Tikkun Olam (Healing the World)

          Tzedakah

          Bioethics

          Value-Based Decision Making

      ITEMS OF INTEREST:

      Steering Commitee Opening

      Lance Feiner and David Lipscomb served as the chairs of the Outreach Commitee for years and did an awesome job; however, they are stepping down at the end of June.  They were very successful at ensuring the future of our community by getting the Kol Ami name out to potential new members.

      If you are interested in performing this mitzvah for our community, please contact either Don Kraus (donaldkraus@...), Britt Rapp (rosekitty6043@...) or Adam West (apw27@...).  The job is not very time consuming, but it is very important.  The work includes placing ads and good old fashion schmoozing.

      Yahrzeit List

      Kol Ami has established a Yahrzeit list  to alert Kol Ami members of the Yahrzeit observance date at the beginning of the month in which it will be observed. The member can then plan to attend the appropriate service for that week during which Kaddish can be recited. Often the Yahrzeit observance is combined with either a contribution or act of charity in loving memory of one's dear one.

      If you would like to include a friend, relative, or special person on the Yahrzeit list, please contact Arlene Singer and Gerald Risket at
      kolamiyahrtzeitlist@....

      Healing List
      If you would like to add a name to our healing list, please contact Toni Popkin (healing@...) with the name(s).  Unless requested otherwise, Toni leaves names on the healing list for two months.

      Hosting Calendar:
      If you are unable to host on the day scheduled, you are responsible for arranging a substitute (it is not necessary to notify me of the change of hosts) – send request to all members (kolaminvrc@yahoogroups.com )

      GREATER COMMUNITY EVENTS

      Zemer Chai, DC's premier Jewish choir, will mark its 36th anniversary with a gala concert - Heartbeats in Harmony on Wednesday, June 6, 2012 at 8:00 pm. The concert features guest artists The Robyn Helzner Trio, Cantor Scott Sokol, Alexander Kugler and a new commission by renowned composer Alice Parker.   This gala concert will take place at  Ohr Kodesh Congregation, 8300 Meadowbrook Lane, Chevy Chase, MD 20815.  Tickets can be ordered at www.zemerchai.org.  Preferred tickets are $40; General Admission is $20 in advance and $25 at the door.  For more information call 301.963.3462

      The choir was founded in 1976 by Eleanor Epstein with the mission of keeping the vibrant musical heritage of the Jewish people alive and thriving. Singers of all walks of Jewish life came together as the Washington Jewish Community Chorus, soon taking the name Zemer Chai – “living song.”  “As Jews have lived all over the world, our musical legacy is especially rich. It continues to be a privilege to share this wonderful repertoire with increasingly diverse audiences. I am heartened to think that our work will help to keep this music alive for generations to come,” Epstein stated.

      WEBSITES OF INTEREST:
      www.jconnect.org
      The new on-line resource for everything Jewish in Greater Washington.  The site features: events, career listings, learning resources, volunteer opportunities, community directory to name just a few!  Check it out soon!

      www.J-Sitter.com
      J-Sitter is a place for Jewish families to find Jewish sitters in their area. Whether a person needs a babysitter, pet sitter or house sitter, they will be able to find it all on J-Sitter. Not only will this provide parents an easy way to find the relief they need, but it allows a place for people to find jobs as well.

      http://www.foundjs.org/
      The Foundation for Jewish Studies, the Open University for Jewish Learning

      http://www.pjcmedia.org/
      The Program for Jewish Civilization announces the launch of a new multimedia site: PJCMedia, where serious scholarship assumes a visually compelling digital form. The videos, blogs, and images are the collective inspiration of the students and faculty of the Program for Jewish Civilization at the Edmund A. Walsh School of Foreign Service at Georgetown  University . PJCMedia  hopes to be peculiar and compelling, amusing and intriguing, politically engaged but ideologically non-aligned.

      http://www.pjll.org/classes
      The Partnership for Jewish Life and Learning's adult education classes

      http://www.shalomdc.org/
      Jewish Federation of Greater  Washington

      www.shalomdc.org/jiffy
      JiFFY is a comprehensive listing of “All things Jewish” for families, tweens and teens in the Greater Washington DC area.

      http://www.jccnv.org/
      Jewish  Community Center of  Northern Virginia Schedule of  Eve nts

      http://washingtondcjcc.org/
      District of Columbia
       Jewish Community Center Schedule of  Eve nts

      Amy Stutt
      Administrator, Kol Ami, NVRC