This Week at Kol Ami: NVRC

  • dkrausman@aol.com
    Message 1 of 23 , Dec 2, 2004

      Please join us for a warm and wonderful Shabbat Service with Rabbi Leila Berner on Friday December 3rd at 7:30 PM the Church of the Covenant. Please note this is not our usual location.

      Celebrate Hanukkah with Kol Ami

      Come light menorahs, fry latkes & retell the Hanukkah story on December 12th from 5 to 8 pm at Colecroft Station in Alexandria (Old Town area). Everyone is welcome including children of all ages. Bring your favorite menorah to light, a batch of your favorite latkes to fry up and a dairy dish to share for a pot luck dinner. Rabbi Leila Berner will lead the festivities. For more information contact Hope Warshaw at hwarshaw@... or 703-780-7207. There’s no charge to attend this event.

    • dkrausman@aol.com
      Message 2 of 23 , Jan 5, 2005

        Welcome to 2005:  Please join us for our first Shabbat service of 2005, led by Rabbi Leila Berner on Friday, January 7th at 7:30 PM at the Unitarian Universalist Church of Arlington.  Spend a few more moments making those New Year's resolutions a reality.

        Torah Study: This Sunday, January 9th, Amy Stern will lead our Torah study session at the home of Julie Krachman in Falls Church from 10:30-12 noon.  We'll be looking at Genesis 47:28-49:27, with the focus on Jacob's blessings to his grandsons and sons as he's dying.  Buckwheat pancakes will be served.  To RSVP and get directions, please contact Julie at juleskrac@....

        Musical Shabbat and Prayer for Peace:  On Friday, January 14th Herb Cooper-Levy will lead a special shabbat service.  Leslie Lesner and Jim North will supply the music.  Instead of the usual Amidah service, Kitty Riordan will lead a special Praying Peace service.  The focus of  “Praying Peace” gatherings range from international peace to individual peace in one’s life. It is designed to be one of reflection and “Being at Peace”. Share or listen to poetry, prayers, chants, movement, and silence. “Praying Peace” Gathering was first initiated by international author and “Peace Troubadour” James Twyman as response to the January 24, 2002 International Peace Vigil held in Assisi, Italy where world faith leaders sought to affirm peace as a spiritual reality within the heart.

      • dkrausman@aol.com
        Message 3 of 23 , Jan 11, 2005

          Musical Shabbat and Prayer for Peace:  On Friday, January 14th Herb Cooper-Levy will lead a special shabbat service.  Leslie Lesner and Jim North will supply the music.  Instead of the usual Amidah service, Kitty Riordan will lead a special Praying Peace service.  The focus of  “Praying Peace” gatherings range from international peace to individual peace in one’s life. It is designed to be one of reflection and “Being at Peace”. Share or listen to poetry, prayers, chants, movement, and silence. “Praying Peace” Gathering was first initiated by international author and “Peace Troubadour” James Twyman as response to the January 24, 2002 International Peace Vigil held in Assisi, Italy where world faith leaders sought to affirm peace as a spiritual reality within the heart.

          Shabbat Service and Tu B'Shvat Seder:  Join us for a special Shabbat Service and Tu B'Svat Seder led by Jane Pekofsky on Saturday, January 22nd at 10 AM at the Unitarian Universalist Church of Arlington . If you thought seders were only for Passover, think again.

          Tot and Young Children's Shabbat Service:  Also on Saturday, January 22nd at 10 AM at the Unitarian Universalist Church of Arlington, we will hold our monthly services for children.  The Tot services will be led by Carly Lundy and the Young Children's service will be led by Debra Linick.  If you have questions, contact Hope Warshaw at hwarshaw@... or call 703-780-7207

        • dkrausman@aol.com
          Message 4 of 23 , Jan 20, 2005
            So you thought seders were only for Passover? Think again.

            Shabbat Service and Tu B'Shvat Seder:  Join us for a special Shabbat Service and Tu B'Svat Seder (with multiple courses from fruit to nuts) led by Jane Pekofsky on Saturday, January 22nd at 10 AM at the Unitarian Universalist Church of Arlington .

            Tot and Young Children's Shabbat Service:  Also on Saturday, January 22nd at 10 AM at the Unitarian Universalist Church of Arlington, we will hold our monthly services for children.  The Tot services will be led by Carly Lundy and the Young Children's service will be led by Debra Linick.  If you have questions, contact Hope Warshaw at hwarshaw@... or call 703-780-7207

            Chesapeake Region of the Jewish Reconstructionist Federation

            Traveling Scholar Weekend

            January 21st-23rd, 2005

             featuring

            Rabbi Linda Holtzman,

            Director of the Practical Rabbinics Department of the Reconstructionist Rabbinical College

            Sanctifying Time: Contemporary Trends in Reconstructionist Jewish Life

            Site 1:  Columbia Jewish Congregation Friday night, 8:00 p.m. January 21st

            Welcoming Babies into our Lives: Bris? Naming? Foot Washing? Candle Lighting? How Do We Decide the Most Meaningful Way to Welcome a Next Generation of Boys and Girls?

            CJC will also be celebrating Shabbat Shirah. Cantor, Jan Morrison will be joined by Cantor Marge Auerbach of Temple Bet Aviv, our new neighbor in the Meeting House, in providing a wonderful musical service.  The CJC choir will also be participating.

             Site 2:  Beit Tikvah, Shabbat Morning 10:00 a.m. January 22nd

            Jewish Traditions Surrounding Death and Dying: Vidui? Tahara? A Plain Pine Box? How do Jewish Traditions Speak to Us Today?

            Beit Tikvah’s Shabbat Shirah service will feature KOL TIKVAH, the Beit Tikvah choir, the RECONSTRUCTIONIST RAMBLERS, DONNA KIRSHBAUM on cello, and other musical guests offering the Shabbat liturgy through music and song. The Torah reading, Shirat Hayam/The song of the sea, will be heard with its special chant.

             Site 3: Oseh Shalom, Havdalah and Program Saturday evening 7:30 p.m. January 22nd

            The Seder as Metaphor for the Journeys of Our Lives: The Pesah, Tu B’shvat, and Shabbat Table as Temple

             Site 4:  Adat Shalom, Sunday morning- 10:00 a.m. January 23rd

            Minyan followed at 10:30 a.m. by: Structuring Meaning at Significant Moments: How Can We Best Embrace and Celebrate the Times in Our Lives that Are Not Currently Marked by Jewish Tradition but that May Need to Be?

            For more information to RSVP or to make a contribution, contact Jackie Land, 301-206-3332 or jljrf@....

          • dkrausman@aol.com
            Message 5 of 23 , Feb 2, 2005
              There are some great events coming up.  Please note that the February 5th Shabbat service will be held at the Church of the Covenant, rather than our usual location.  Enter through the side door that we use for High Holiday services.  Please join us for a very special service led by Rabbi Leila Berner.  In addition to our regular service, see below for information about youth activities this Shabbat, Saturday, February 5.

              Tot Shabbat:  Held monthly for children 5 and under. Begins at 10 am for 45 minutes. The Tot services will be led by Carly Lundy a creative, experienced leader engages tots and parents in activities, dance, music to learn torah portion and Shabbat rituals. One parent to stay with child. After service free child sitting. Parent can enjoy rest of main service. No fee. At noon potluck dairy oneg. This week (2/5) only at Church of the Covenant, 2666 Military Road, Arlington. Detail and directions: www.nvrc.net/directions.htm#coc or hope@... or 703-780-7207.

              Young Children's Shabbat: Held monthly for children 5 to 9. Begins 10 am, ends noon when main service ends. Leader Rachel Marks brings knowledge of torah, creativity with drama, art and crafts. Children learn the torah portion, holidays, Hebrew alphabet. Parents can attend main service. No fee. At noon potluck dairy oneg. This week (2/5) only at Church of the Covenant, 2666 Military Road, Arlington. Detail and directions: www.nvrc.net/directions.htm#coc or  hope@... or 703-780-7207.

              Shabbat Afternoon Torah Study for ‘Tweens & Teens with Kol Ami's Dr. Ruth, Feb 5: Kol Ami: Northern Virginia Reconstructionist Community will hold the first monthly ‘Tween to Teen Torah study Saturday, February 5th with our own Dr. Richard Ruth as the facilitator. This Torah study creates an opportunity for young adults to relate the learnings of the Torah to their life and experiences. For ages 11 and up. No adults. Lunch will be provided. Begins 1:00 PM on 2/5 at Church of the Covenant. (The usual location in future will be Unitarian Universalist Church. Arlington.)  For more details contact Barbara Jazzo at hebrew@....

              Torah Study this Sunday, Feb. 5, 10:30 AM- 12 noon will be hosted by Mindi and Mark Weisenbloom and led by Mark Weisenbloom at their home in Burke.  Please  RSVP directly to Mindi and Mark at mweisen@... (please RSVP even if you are a regular).

              Friday Evening, Feb 11, Family Dinner & Musical Shabbat: Unwind and enjoy community at family dinner and musical shabbat service on Feb 11. Dinner 6:15 pm. We provide food for $16/family and $8/ single. Pay in advance with RSVP or at door. At 7:15 pm family friendly 45 min Shabbat service with great music. Conclude with pot luck dessert oneg Unitarian Universalist Church. Arlington. Details: www.nvrc.net or  hope@... or 703-780-7207 to RSVP.

              Prayer (davenning) Workshop: Kol Ami member Richard Ruth is leading a prayer (davenning) workshop on Sunday, February 27, 2004. The workshop will be held at Richard and Jim North's home in Arlington, beginning with breakfast at 9 AM (the workshop will include lunch and dinner too). A short follow-up session will be held a month later, on Sunday, March 27 6:30-9 PM, with a potluck dinner at Richard and Jim's. Click here for registration and more information. We will be using the daily Reconstructionist siddur, Kol Haneshamah Limot Hol, as our workshop "text." Fees are $36 with the siddur and $25 without one. If you want a siddur, you must register by February 9 so that they can be ordered in time for the workshop.

            • dkrausman@aol.com
              Message 6 of 23 , Feb 9, 2005
                Friday Evening, Feb 11, Family Dinner & Musical Shabbat: Unwind and enjoy community at family dinner and musical shabbat service on Feb 11. Dinner 6:15 pm. We provide food for $16/family and $8/ single. Pay in advance with RSVP or at door. At 7:15 pm family friendly 45 min Shabbat service with great music (Jim North and the gang with you singing too). We'll have a pot luck dessert oneg too. Unitarian Universalist Church. Arlington. Details: http://www.nvrc.net/ or  hope@... or 703-780-7207 to RSVP.

                Message 7 of 23 , Feb 16, 2005
                  Kol Ami: NVRC has some wonderful events coming up. Please join us for Shabbat Services on Feb. 19 at 10 AM at our usual location at UUCA. Rich Larach will be leading the service, which will include some comparisons between the liturgy in the current (second generation) Reconstructionist Shabbat prayerbook and the first Reconstructionist Shabbat prayerbook. Please bring a dairy or vegetarian offering for the Oneg.Shabbat.

                  Davenning Workshop

                  Kol Ami member Richard Ruth is leading a prayer (davenning) workshop on Sunday, February 27, 2004. The workshop will be held at Richard and Jim North's home in Arlington, beginning with breakfast at 9 AM (the workshop will include lunch and dinner too). A short follow-up session will be held a month later, on Sunday, March 27 6:30-9 PM, with a potluck dinner at Richard and Jim's. Click here (http://www.nvrc.net/adulted.htm#Seminar)  for registration and more information. We will be using the daily Reconstructionist siddur, Kol Haneshamah Limot Hol, as our workshop "text." Fees are $36 with the siddur and $25 without one. If you want a siddur, you must register by February 9 so that they can be ordered in time for the workshop.

                  Special Events with Rabbi Jeff Roth,  March 4 - 6

                  An incredible opportunity coming to us. Renowned Jewish leader and founder of Elat Chayyim the Jewish Spiritual Retreat Center, Rabbi Jeff Roth will be touring the Washington, D.C. area to offer a taste of his sweet teachings. Kol Ami will be hosting a Friday night dinner and kabbalat Shabbat, and a Saturday morning chanting service. For more information click here or go to http://www.nvrc.net/JeffRoth.htm.

                  Tot and Young Children's Shabbat Service and a Tween to Teen Torah Study will also be held on March 5th at the UUCA.

                  Kol Ami's next Torah study will be held Sunday March 6th.  For directions and to RSVP please email aje2@...