MEDICAL: EDUCATION : EDUCATION: DISTANCE ONLINE AND INTERNET : CHILDREN : MEDICAL: VETERINARY: Let Me Clean Up My Legos and I Will be Right With You to Start This Canine Surgery

  • David P. Dillard
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 1, 2008
      MEDICAL: EDUCATION :
      EDUCATION: DISTANCE ONLINE AND INTERNET :
      CHILDREN :
      MEDICAL: VETERINARY:
      Let Me Clean Up My Legos and I Will be Right With You
      to Start This Canine Surgery

      Meet the 10-Year-Old Who's Already a Vet Assistant
      KOMO TV News: ABC in Seattle, Washington
      Story Published: Jan 29, 2008 at 5:50 PM PST
      Story Updated: Jan 31, 2008 at 8:32 AM PST
      By Keith Eldridge
      Watch the story
      <http://www.komotv.com/news/local/14848331.html>

      OLYMPIA - Veterinarians at a local clinic are amazed that one of their
      assistants can do the work she's doing, given her unique situation.

      Ten-year-old Courtney Oliver just completed her college work for this
      occupation. She now holds an on-line certification as a veterinary
      assistant. In eight months, Courtney had the same certification as her
      adult co-workers.

      Courtney says she knew early in life this is what she wanted to do.

      "I have a dog Maggie and two hamsters and I just thought: 'Well, if I have
      so many animals why don't I just work with them?'"

      At 10-years-old?

      <snip>

      Dr. Michelle Shoemaker at the South Bay Veterinary Hospital in Olympia has
      been Courtney's mentor.

      "She's amazing. She's a wonderful girl," Shoemaker said. "Always been so
      bright, very, very smart actually. We quiz her quite often here. They
      questions and the studies she's been doing and she always knows the
      answers and she's always right in there wanting to help out. Amazing
      girl."

      --------------------------------------

      Photos: A golden anniversary for Lego
      ZDNet
      <http://content.zdnet.com/2346-9595_22-185675.html>

      On Monday, Lego is celebrating the 50th anniversary of the day it filed
      its first patent for the iconic plastic brick. Since the beginning, Lego
      sets have been themed, and the very first theme was space. Not long
      afterward, Lego added castle and pirate themes. One of the first major
      elements of the "System of Play" was the Lego Town Plan. To celebrate the
      50th anniversary, the company is releasing a new, updated commemorative
      Town Plan this year. While updated, it includes '50s-era elements like a
      gas station, car wash, and garage, plus a movie theater and, of course, a
      town hall.

      The original Town Plan box from 1955 featured Lego founder Ole Kirk
      Christiansen's grandson Kjeld Kirk Kristiansen as a boy. The 2008 Town
      Plan box once again features him, this time as a grown man.

      --------------------------------------

      Lego Celebrates 50th Anniversary and Has Accomplished Great Things Along
      the Way
      AC
      <http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/568229/
      lego_celebrates_50th_anniversary_and.html>

      A shorter URL for the above link:

      <http://tinyurl.com/24aedx>

      Growing up, Legos was our main toy that we would usually receive for
      Christmas or a birthday. Legos was the ultimate toy that every child could
      play with. Even now, as a parent, I still play with Legos with my
      children.

      Legos are not only fun to play with but they also teach children hand and
      eye coordination and allows parents to teach children the difference
      between colors and counting with games that you can play with the Legos.

      Even my dad, remembers playing with Legos when he was a child. Legos has
      brought back so many memories to the entire family. Creating a castle or
      building a tower just to knock it down, this is what Legos is all about,
      mastering the greatness of building something only to knock it down and
      start all over again.

      There are many different things that you can build with Legos and building
      it is just half of the fun. Legos is a great gift to give to a child and
      it is something that they will love to play with throughout the year.

      [Read the complete stories at the URLs provided for each.]

      Sincerely,
      David Dillard
      Temple University
      (215) 204 - 4584
      jwne@...
      Net-Gold
      <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/net-gold>
      <http://listserv.temple.edu/archives/net-gold.html>
      <http://groups.google.com/group/net-gold?hl=en>
      <http://net-gold.jiglu.com/>
      General Internet & Print Resources
      <http://guides.temple.edu/general-internet>
      <http://www.edu-cyberpg.com/ringleaders/davidd.html>
      Educator-Gold
      <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Educator-Gold/>
      K12ADMINLIFE
      <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/K12AdminLIFE/>
      Nina Dillard's Photographs on Net-Gold
      <http://tinyurl.com/36qd2o>
      Net-Gold Membership Required to View Photos