LIBRARY: ISSUES : WEBLOGS: The Library Garden

  • David P. Dillard
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 1, 2007
      LIBRARY: ISSUES : WEBLOGS: The Library Garden

      The Library Garden
      http://librarygarden.blogspot.com/

      About Library Garden
      <http://librarygarden.blogspot.com/2006/03/about-library-garden.html>

      "Library Garden has been conceived as an ongoing conversation among
      librarians with differing perspectives (public, academic, consortial,
      state, youth, LIS) but one shared goal: ensuring the health and relevance
      of libraries.

      Library Garden is maintained by a team of contributing editors. We will
      each contribute to the blog, offering our individual perspectives on
      issues that affect or relate to libraries of all types. But we will also
      get together for regular topical conversations -- conversations with each
      other, with others, with you -- and post those conversations to the blog.

      We love reading interviews, and often find them more interesting and
      stimulating than the articles that appear in our professional literature.
      Therefore, we intend to interview members of our extended library family,
      and occasionally interview folks from outside of the library fold, and
      post those interviews to the blog for your reading pleasure."

      The 2007 New York Comicconmade the 2006 look like ...

      Should Accessing Open Wi-Fi Spots be Illegal?

      Not Enough Friends? Buy Some!

      User 2.0: Innovative Library Sites (Part 2 - Publi...

      Cyberbullying and Libraries

      A tempest has been brewing... AKA, yet even more ...

      User 2.0: Innovative Library Sites (...

      Books that Would be Awesome Band Names

      2 Great Posts on DRM

      Eastwood and Beethoven

      Archives

      February 2006
      March 2006
      April 2006
      May 2006
      June 2006
      July 2006
      August 2006
      September 2006
      October 2006
      November 2006
      December 2006
      January 2007
      February 2007

      Some blogs we're reading

      Sample from a Longer List

      ALA Tech Source

      (Norma) Blake's Blog

      Blog About Libraries

      Blyberg.net (John Blyberg)

      Brand Autopsy

      (Leslie) Burger's Blog

      A Chair, A Fireplace and a Tea Cozy (Liz Burns)

      Creating Passionate Users

      David Lee King

      Disruptive Library Technology Jester

      Free Range Librarian (Karen Schneider)

      The Idea Sandbox

      Information Wants To Be Free (Merideth Farkas)

      It's All Good

      Librarian.Net (Jessamyn West)

      Librarian In Black (Sarah Houghton)

      Library Angst (John Klima)

      Library Crunch (Michael Casey)

      Library Dust (Michael McGrorty)

      Library Marketing: Thinking Outside the Book

      Library Stuff (Stephen Cohen)

      Library Success: Best Practices Wiki

      The Long Tail

      Content Sample from a Post to this Weblog

      Cyberbullying and Libraries

      "There is often a really fine line between what is funny, what is
      offensive and to what degree someone is offended.

      Make no mistake, there is some joy to be had in bullying. It is about
      empowerment, positioning, status, hierarchy and the pleasure is the
      solidification of one's place through the bullying act. In other words, it
      is largely about attention and acceptance.

      And if someone is looking for attention, then the Internet is a heaven for
      their needs.

      As much as I am a fan for social networks and social technologies I can
      understand peoples' concern about its bullying potential. Text messages,
      Instant messages, photoshops, podcasts and blogs (forgive me if I left a
      few tactics out) don't just make a myriad of methods to bully with, but
      also encourage the creativity of the bully... and the reward is the
      hundreds to thousands of hits their post may receive.

      Example? Check out Ghyslain Raza, better known as the Star Wars Kid. He
      filmed a solo light saber sequence as part of a school project but when
      some of his classmates got a hold of the film, Ghyslain became an
      overnight cyber-celebrity. When the Canadian news source, National Post,
      asked him how he felt about all the 'attention,' he responsed "I want my
      life back."

      A hell for Gyshlain but incredible empowerment for the kids who posted it!

      Rather than make this post solely about cyberbullying, lets think about
      what it could mean for libraries."

      <snip>

      Sincerely,
      David Dillard