Jataka Parijatam and Kalachakra Navamsa (Re: Interpreting Parasara's...)

  • Narasimha P.V.R. Rao
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 9, 2005
      Dear Ranjan,

      Only trimsamsa and hora?

      Are you sure Parasara mentioned the signs in navamsa and not just the lords? Are you 100% sure? Go back and re-read the verses carefully!

      * * *

      Strictly speaking, Parasara did not clearly define the signs in which various amsas fall, whether it is navamsa or dasamsa or some other amsa. He only specified the lords.

      Let me quote Parasara's verses on navamsa (6-12 in Santhanam's version of BPHS):

      navaamsheshaashchare tasmaat sthire tannavamaaditaH |
      ubhaye tatpanchamaaderiti chintyam vichakshanaih ||

      This literally means that the lords of nine navamsas in movable/fixed/dual signs are the lords of the 9 signs from the same sign/9th from it/5th from it (respectively).

      If the lords of navamsas in Ta are, for example, the LORDS of Cp, Aq, Pi, Ar, Ta, Ge, Cn, Le and Vi, it does NOT automatically mean that the navamsa signs of the nine navamsas in Ta are Cp, Aq, Pi, Ar, Ta, Ge, Cn, Le and Vi.

      They can instead be Cp, Aq, Pi, Sc, Li, Vi, Cn, Le and Ge. The lords would still be the same! If the lord of a specific navamsa in Ta is the lord of Ar, that specific navamsa can fall in Ar or Sc. The lord would still be Mars! The lord of a sign being the lord of Ar does not restrict the sign to being Ar.

      Some may think I am splitting hairs, but this is a genuine point and you will understand where I am coming from if you carefully read "Jataka Parijatam". I will write more a little later.

      Very strictly speaking, only the lords of navamsa are specified and Parasara did not specify the exact navamsa signs. Could it be because he expected us to guess? Or, could it be because there are different possibilities?

      I am reminded of an old saying that one who does not ask questions never finds the answers!

      * * *

      Kalachakra Navamsa

      (c) 2005, P.V.R. Narasimha Rao, Sri Jagannath Centre
      You cannot reproduce parts of this writing in any form without written permission from the author.

      For an alternate definition of the navamsa chart, let us read verses 17-5, 17-7 and 17-8 of "Jataka parijatam" in another mail.

      dharaaja shukrajna shasheena saumya sitaara jeevaarkaja manda jeevaaH |
      krameNa meShaadiShu raashinaathaastadmshapaashcheti vadanti santaaH || 17-5

      Literal Meaning: For rasis starting from Aries, the lords are Mars, Venus, Mercury, Moon, Sun, Mercury, Venus, Mars, Jupiter, Saturn, Saturn and Jupiter. Same is true for the navamsas in signs also.

      Detailed Meaning: When we write the nine navamsas in each sign, starting from Aries and going upto Pisces, we get 12x9=108 navamsas. Their lords are given by the above sequence of 12 planets, with the sequence given above repeating nine times. This is consistent with the navamsa lords defined by Parasara in BPHS.

      ashwi punarvasu hasta moola proShThapadaadiShu |
      triShveShu gaNayenmeShaat praadakShiNya krameNa tu || 17-7

      Literal Meaning: In groups of three nakshatras starting from Aswini, Punarvasu, Hasta, Moola and Poorvabhadra, we count [nav]amsas zodiacally, starting from Aries.

      Detailed Meaning: Combining this with 17-5, we can start from Aries and go zodiacally and get the 12 lords as given. The signs clearly are: Aries, Taurus, Gemini, Cancer, Leo, Virgo, Libra, Scorpio, Sagittarius, Capricorn, Aquarius and Pisces.

      Thus, this is the order of navamsa signs for the padas of 3 stars starting from Aswini, Punarvasu, Hasta, Moola and Poorvabhadra.

      rohiNee magha vaishaakha vaiShNavaadi krameNa tu |
      vRshchikaadyamshakaanaam apasavya krameNa tu || 17-8

      Literal Meaning: In groups of three nakshatras starting from Rohini, Makha, Visakha and Sravanam, we count [nav]amsas irregularly, starting from Scorpio.

      Detailed Meaning: Combining this with 17-5, we can start from Scorpio and go backwards irregularly and get the 12 lords as given. The signs clearly are: Scorpio, Libra, Virgo, Cancer, Leo, Gemini, Taurus, Aries, Pisces, Aquarius, Capricorn and Sagittarius. Though this progression is basically anti-zodiacal, there are exceptions. These exceptions/special jumps occur due to the constarint on the lordships placed in 17-5. First navamsa is Scorpio, lorded by Mars. Next one is Libra, lorded by Venus. Next one is Virgo, lorded by Mercury. Then Moon, Sun and Mercury must come. So it has to be Cancer, Leo and Gemini. Due to Moon and Sun owning only one sign each, we have these jumps.

      Thus, this is the order of navamsa signs for the padas of 3 stars starting from Rohini, Makha, Visakha and Sravanam.

      Kalachakra Navamsa Chart:

      Kalachakra navamsa chart is a variation of the normal navamsa chart. It is cast based on the three verses we discussed above. The following mapping makes it clearer:

      Four padas of Aswini, Punarvasu, Hasta, Moola, P.Bhadra: Ar, Ta, Ge, Cn
      Four padas of Bharani, Pushyami, Chitra, P.Shadha, U.Bhadra: Le, Vi, Li, Sc
      Four padas of Krittika, Asresha, Swathi, U.Shadha, Revati: Sg, Cp, Aq, Pi

      Four padas of Rohini, Magha, Visakha, Sravanam: Sc, Li, Vi, Cn
      Four padas of Mrigasira, P.Phalguni, Anuradha, Dhanishtha: Le, Ge, Ta, Ar
      Four padas of Ardra, U.Phalguni, Jyeshtha, Satabhishak: Pi, Aq, Cp, Sg

      Using this mapping, Kalachakra Navamsa chart is cast. I use it in the interpretation of Kalachakra dasa.

      In fact, you can define a Kalachakra Nava-Navamsa chart by treating the above Kalachakra navamsa chart as rasi chart and finding further navamsas in it! You will find that the Kalachakra dasa cycles given for various navamsas in classics are nothing but the Kalachakra nava-navamsas within each Kalachakra navamsa!!!!

      I will write later about a Kalachakra dasa method taught by Sreeman Tirumala Samudrala Venkata Raghavacharya in a Telugu language book titled "Kalachakramu" published in 1930. I have read and experimented with many methods of Kalachakra dasa calculation, but Sreeman Raghavacharya's method is what satisfied me intellectually. It is the one method that does complete justice to various verses of classics.

      For example, every scholar covering Kalachakra dasa has ignored one basic verse of Parasara that says that the longevity of a native is from the periods of nine navamsas starting from janma navamsa! Sreeman Raghavacharya's method is the most brilliant method I have read. If I have time, I will write about it more clearly later. It is one of the SIX different Kalachakra dasa calculation methods available in JHora 7.02. You can also get Kalachakra Navamsa and Kalachakra Nava-navamsa charts in JHora 7.02. JHora 7.02 also allows you to find Kalachakra dasa from Moon or lagna.

      * * *

      Talking about Trimsamsa and hora charts, you can get 3 different kinds of trimsamsa charts and 6 different kinds of hora charts in JHora 7.02! When it comes to advanced Jyotish computations for the benefit of serious researchers, JHora is an unparallelled software to the best of my knowledge. Download it and explore it!

      May Jupiter's light shine on us,
      Narasimha
      Free Jyotish lessons (MP3): http://vedicastro.home.comcast.net
      Free Jyotish software (Windows): http://www.VedicAstrologer.org
      SJC website: http://www.SriJagannath.org

      > Trishamsha, now that is another one where clearly BPHS has mentioned
      > planets but not signs. And hora too ...
      >
      > So many mysteries, so many ways of looking at the astrological
      > universe.
      >
      > Why fight? who knows what the absolute truth is? Use what works for
      > you. Look at ayanamsha, after all that bloodbath, still an unresolved
      > issue. OR, why the nakshatra cycle starts with ketu and not sun [as
      > given in nadi rectification]?
      >
      > RR

    • vijayadas_pradeep
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 10, 2005
        Dear Narasimha Ji

        I have two points to mention.

        Your all time opinion - Mapping logic relating Vargas to a specific
        'SIGN''. New Opinion - Parashara has never mentioned any mapping to
        specific signs, but only the lords.

        As jyotish is an ocean I have no problem with your new view.

        I have just started to understand Kalachakra. Thus here is my
        elementary understanding.

        Kalachakra as you know is a Rashi dasha as opposed to Vimshottari,
        though it is based on nakshathra padas.
        Navamsha rashis mentioned here is related to the order of Rashi dasha
        for each pada. Each pada, of savya or apasavya (right or left?)
        nakshathra, will have a specific order for dasha.There are nine rashi
        dashas for each pada. There are anuloma and pratiloma movements for
        rashis. For example take first pada of Ashwini within Aries rashi. It
        will have 9 rashi dashas in anuloma order ie from Aries until Dhanu.

        Take Taurus Rashi now. For first pada of Rohini(Apasvya group), rashi
        dasha order will start from Scorpio and continue in Pratiloma order
        until Gemini, ie for six signs. Here we can see navamsha rashi
        taking a jump from Meena to Vrischik, instead of normal Aries. Your
        point regarding change of signs lorded by the same planet is a valid
        clue towards - Why Vrischik - but it cannot explain the progress of
        dasha order.

        Progress is Pratiloma after jump. From Scorpio dashas will follow as
        Sc,Li,Vi,Le,Ca,Ge(8,7,6,5,4,3 etc). Thus the navamsha Rashis given
        here gives a clue(starting of dasha) on how the Rashis progress
        during the course of time. Vrischika after Meena is a result of
        change in rashi dasha order.

        I have to learn more to get better understanding.Your opinion will
        be helpful.

        Thanks
        Pradeep

        --- In JyotishGroup@yahoogroups.com, "Narasimha P.V.R. Rao"

      • vijayadas_pradeep
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 10, 2005
          Dear Narasimha ji

          The order of dashas which i had mentioned was not correct for
          Rohini.Bharani follows that.Also i had missed interchange of Leo and
          cancer.

          I will write later.

          Thanks
          Pradeep