486Conversations with Tyrelle Taylor re: Prisoners voting rights

  • Iolmisha@cs.com
    Apr 20, 2008

      What prompted that comment is my conversations with Tyrelle Taylor, who's been in the San Francisco County Jail - both San Bruno and 850 Bryant - for a year and a half. He shouldn't be there at all - several SFPD sharpshooters shot him repeatedly in the back and when he miraculously survived, they charged HIM with assaulting them - but that's another story.

      At the time of the California primary, Tyrelle told me
      there had been no mention by jail officials about the election. Since the only citizens barred from voting in California are convicted felons serving a sentence or on parole, most of the prisoners in county jails can vote. The supposedly enlightened San Francisco Sheriff Michael Hennessey should have offered all of them the opportunity to register and to vote.

      I need to look into whether some offer was made that Tyrelle wasn't aware of. And in any case we need to ensure that everyone in the SF County Jail has a chance to register and vote in time for the June 3 election - and, of course, the November election too.

      Mary Ratcliff

      Iolmisha@... wrote:
      Comment from Mary Ratcliff who just joined Get Out The Jail Vote "

      Incarceration must not mean disenfranchisement.

      Not only do county jail prisoners need to know their rights (and the issues),
      but the jailers -
      the sheriffs -
      need to support prisoners' voting rights.

      No virus found in this incoming message.Checked by AVG. Version: 7.5.524 / Virus Database: 269.23.2/1388 - Release Date: 4/20/2008 3:01 PM