Re: [Justice4Oscar_GRANT] Blaming Oscar's friends fo r his death is shameful & ubnntolerable, Feb 11

  • Gerald Ali.
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 1, 2010
      No article at link. Searched site on --Pirone and Domenici -- nothing coming up...

      ---------
      11 hours ago · Rachel Jackson
      Hmmm. Hadn't heard the 'roid rage rumor, but here's link to article about their "non-professional" relationship. ..
      http://www.sfgate. com/cgi-bin/ article.cgi? f=/c/a/2009/ 03/07/BARU16B1N6 .DTL.
      I'll send you article, too.

      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 4, 2010
        Here's the article on "the affair" by Matier & Ross... (the link still works but I think part of it fell off the hyperlink on fb...)

        Below the "affair" article is the more recent article about using Oscar's friend's testimony on behalf of defense -- which seems to have been leaked from to the media by BART's attorneys, which is illegal, btw...

        peace,

        Rachel
        - - - -

        Suit: BART cops' affair led to fatal shooting

        SF Chronicle, Matier & Ross

        March 8, 2009

        http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2009/03/07/BARU16B1N6.DTL

        Did an affair between two BART police officers sent to quell a New Year's disturbance at the Fruitvale Station set the stage for the fatal shooting of Oscar Grant by their fellow Officer Johannes Mehserle?

        That's the claim attorney John Burris makes in the wrongful-death lawsuit against the transit agency that he filed on the Grant family's behalf.

        The family is seeking $50 million, an unlikely amount even given the gravity of the case. But Burris' play doesn't look to be the courtroom - he's angling for a hefty settlement from BART in advance, largely by putting political pressure on the agency.

        Toward that end, Burris - a master at such lawsuits - has been steadily stoking the public relations fire under BART's cloth seat.

        Last week, Burris filed documents in Alameda County Superior Court claiming that the events leading up to Grant's shooting were the result of an "unprofessional relationship" between two BART police officers who responded that night to reports of a fight on a train.

        According to the March 2 complaint, a female officer "got in the face of the young men (suspected of being in the fight) and repeatedly pointed her Taser at them, threatening to tase them in the face."

        One of them, Grant, got right back in her face, prompting a male officer to rush over and push him to the ground "while threatening to Taser him," the complaint says.

        More words were exchanged, prompting Mehserle to come over to assist in restraining Grant, pull his gun and fire once into Grant's back.

        Now, Mehserle faces murder charges and BART is enduring perhaps its worst public relations debacle ever.

        Burris doesn't directly connect the dots. But it's plain that he's prepared to argue that the male officer's rush to assist the female cop was prompted by misplaced chivalry.

        It's not the first time Burris has raised the issue.

        In a February letter to BART Police Chief Gary Gee, Burris wrote that "a number of sources, some within your department," had informed Grant's family that the two officers had a "nonprofessional relationship" that influenced their conduct.

        "It is said that the relationship is an 'open secret' within the department," Burris wrote. "We are concerned that the relationship may have contributed to the circumstances surrounding the shooting."

        Burris went on to ask for an internal affairs investigation into the supposed relationship.

        Gee never replied to Burris, and Burris has yet to name names.

        But in his letter to the chief, he wrote, "We will provide names if asked."

        Dale Allen, the attorney representing BART in the case, called the claims regarding the unnamed officers "unseemly and salacious."

        "I will not dignify them with a comment," Allen said.

        - - - -

        http://abclocal.go.com/kgo/story?section=news/local/east_bay&id=7251645

        Oscar Grant's friends may boost Mehserle's case

        OAKLAND, CA (KGO) -- The former BART officer charged with murdering an unarmed passenger may get an unexpected boost to his defense thanks to statements from the victim's friends.

        Johannes Mehserle is charged with fatally shooting Oscar Grant while he was handcuffed at the Fruitvale BART station on New Year's Day 2009.

        An attorney for BART says depositions from Grant's friends, detained with him, say they heard Mehserle warn Grant he was going to Tase him. They also say Mehserle did not swear or display anger before shooting Grant.

        Related Content

        Story: BART reaches settlement with Oscar Grant's daughter

        Defense lawyers all along have claimed Mehserle shot Grant by mistake, thinking he was using his Taser.

        (Copyright ©2010 KGO-TV/DT. All Rights Reserved.)