Re: [Justice4Asa] Officer Morgado, involved in the assassination of Asa, has just been fired

  • SF Bay View
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 10, 2011
      Great news - not only that he's gone but how this incident demonstrates the mentality of the cops who invaded Asa's home.
      Mary Ratcliff
      SF Bay View
      (415) 671-0789
      www.sfbayview.com

      On 4/9/2011 6:03 PM, mesha wrote:

      SFPD officer fired after video contradicts his report

      By: Brent Begin 04/09/11 4:17 PM
      Examiner Staff Writer
      (Examiner file photo)
      (Examiner file photo)

      A San Francisco police officer caught on videotape in 2008 telling a black Army veteran to "get out of the street, boy" has been fired from the department, sources said.

      The termination stems from a March 1, 2008, incident that led to the arrest of Charles Haynes, who was leaving Zeke's bar in the South of Market area at about 2 a.m. Haynes had left the bar after doing a show there as MC Truth when he came across Officer Paul Morgado.

      After telling Haynes to "get out of the street, boy," Morgado shoved him against a wall, handcuffed him and arrested him for intoxication, according to a civil suit filed in federal court. The City settled the case for $50,000 late last year.

      In a police report, Morgado claimed Haynes was "extremely intoxicated, exhibited a strong odor of alcoholic beverage" and "came towards" Morgado in an "aggressive manner," according to the civil complaint.

      But unbeknownst to Morgado, Haynes' partner, DJ Kool Kuts, had been recording the whole thing. The video shows Morgado charging Haynes "like a schoolboy in a schoolyard," the complaint says.

      The video was sent to the Office of Citizen Complaints, the Police Department and it eventually aired on KGO (Ch. 7). Last week, the Police Commission upheld the termination in closed session, according to Police Officers Association Vice President Kevin Martin.

      "Obviously we're disappointed every time we lose one of our officers," Martin said. "I don't know if the commission is aware of all the circumstances."

      A lawyer for Morgado, Lidia Stiglich, confirmed that her client had been fired, but declined to comment further. Police Commission President Thomas Mazzucco also declined to comment, citing confidentiality rules.

      Read more at the San Francisco Examiner: http://www.sfexaminer.com/local/2011/04/sfpd-officer-fired-after-video-contradicts-his-report#ixzz1J4rqXjKl