Fwd: [sfbayview] Kenneth Foster's Sentence Commuted!

  • Kathleen Espinosa
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 30, 2007
      Hello everyone,

      Guess what? We can make a difference. Kenneth Foster is alive!

      Incredibility, this is only the 2ND time that a Texas Governor has granted clemency since 1976 !!!

      I feel better, I hope you do too.

      Take care of yourselves and one another,
      Kathy

      Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2007 11:03:53 -0700
      From: SF Bay View <editor@...>
      To: SF Bay View <sfbayview@...>
      Subject: [sfbayview] Kenneth Foster's Sentence Commuted!

      Iolmisha@... wrote:
      Subject:
      Kenneth Foster's Sentence Commuted!
      From:
      Stefanie Faucher <stefanie@...>
      Date:
      Thu, 30 Aug 2007 13:36:45 -0400 (EDT)
      To:
      Iolmisha@...
      To:
      Iolmisha@...

      Death Penalty Focus
      870 Market St. Ste. 859 San Francisco, CA 94102
      Tel. 415.243.0143 - Fax 415.243.0994 -  www.deathpenalty.org

      Victory! Kenneth Foster's Death Sentence Commuted!

      Texas Governor Rick Perry has announced that he is commuting Foster's death sentence to life in prison without parole.  This is only the 2nd time that a Texas Governor has granted clemency since 1976.  (The other case was Henry Lee Lucas in 1998.)

      Thank you to everyone who helped draw attention to this case and to the horrors of the entire death penalty system, and thank you to all our members who took action.

      To thank Governor Perry for his decision, please contact:
      Office of the Governor Main Switchboard: (512) 463-2000
      [office hours are 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. CST]
      Citizen's Assistance Telecommunications Device
      If you are using a telecommunication device for the deaf (TDD), call 711 to reach Relay Texas
      Office of the Governor Fax: (512) 463-1849

      The tide is turning in our favor!  Click here to support Death Penalty Focus.

      With much appreciation,

      The Staff of Death Penalty Focus
      (Lance, Stefanie, Alison, Yoko and John)

      Governor Perry's Statement
      Aug. 30, 2007
      Perry Commutes Death Sentence
      AUSTIN ? Gov. Rick Perry today commuted the death sentence of Kenneth Eugene Foster of San Antonio to life imprisonment after the Texas Board of Pardons and Paroles (TBPP) recommended such action.
      On May 6, 1997, Foster was sentenced to death for his role in the 1996 capital murder of Michael LaHood. Foster sought to have his death sentence commuted to a life sentence arguing that he did not shoot the victim, but merely drove the car in which that the actual killer was riding. In addition, Foster was tried along side the actual killer, Maurecio Brown, and the jury that convicted Foster also considered punishment for both him and his co-defendant in the same proceeding.
      ?After carefully considering the facts of this case, along with the recommendations from the Board of Pardons and Paroles, I believe the right and just decision is to commute Foster?s sentence from the death penalty to life imprisonment,? Gov. Perry said. ?I am concerned about Texas law that allows capital murder defendants to be tried simultaneously, and it is an issue I think the legislature should examine.?
      The TBPP voted 6-1 to recommend commutation, and the governor signed the commutation papers Thursday morning.
      The governor?s action means Foster?s sentence will be commuted to life imprisonment as soon as the Texas Department of Criminal Justice can process this change.

      Click here to donate.
      Click here to unsubscribe.

      Play Sims Stories at Yahoo! Games.