an idea for Juneteenth

  • Iolmisha@cs.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 17, 2007
      Let me know what yall think ?

      "Juneteenth in the Fillmore
      Are we FREE yet on SF PLantation?"
      Families of Victims of Police Brutality speak out, June 19th 2007

      Juneteenth celebrates the implementation  of freedom of the slaves in Amerikkka , 3 years after the proclamation of the abolition of slavery.
      Without phones, telegrams, fax, internet, or often reading skills, and with slavemasters' reluctance to spread the news...they had not spread out in many areas...
      142 years after "freedom". the "slave catchers" are still killing our unarmed Brothers and Sisters of Color. Yes, the Slave Catchers, freshly out of the boats from Europe. originally hired at minimum wage  to hunt and kill slaves running for freedom...the very origin of US Police Department.

      Gus Rugley
          Asa Benjamin Sullivan
                              "Big O" Lefiti

                                                and
      Idriss Stelley
      All lost their young lives under a rain of PD Bullets,
      IN JUNE

      We could get some memorial time on Juneteenth' stage to honor their lives and your families,
      read the names of all who were stolen from us by Police Violence in the Bay Area for the past 10 years,
      do a healing ritual.
      push for a free table (they cost hundreds..)at the event
      pass out info and resources,
      and collect donations for your families.

      Not easy to get granted, the issue is controvertial, at a time when Sup Mirkarimi is pushing for more beat cops in his district where Juneteenth will be taking place.... But we would have exactly 2 months to prepare. ISF could cover press release, and post on all our list serves. Probably several alternative papers would let us post a free announcement.

      Just an idea !
      I cannot and would not dare do it alone, my health and strength are getting bad, if yall want to do it, I will provide all the support our foundation can muster.

      One unique and powerful aspect of your compounded grief, is that you have been supporting each other action plans, rallies,  suscribe to each other websites, and continue to stay in touch with each  other to share love and support.

      This strength and unity is a mighty powerful example to our poor community of Color and community at large !

      So, interested, anyone?

      In Unity & Respect
      mesha
      Idriss' Mom
      http://mysite.verizon.net/vzeo9ewi/idrissstelleyfoundation/

      JUNETEENTH WORLD WIDE CELEBRATION
      Juneteenth is the oldest known celebration commemorating the ending of slavery in the United States. Dating back to 1865, it was on June 19th that the Union ...
      http://www.juneteenth.com/history.htm