Resend signatures - UNITED AGAINST RACISM, ISLAMOPHOBIA AND ANTI-SEMITISM

  • Ron Cohen
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 1, 2002
      FW: Revised Statement....  UNITED AGAINST RACISM, ISLAMOPHOBIA AND ANTI-SEMITISM
      Dear friends.
      Carefully read Asad's mail - it clearly state:
      "Please reply directly to this email or email: unitedagainstracism@... "
      Hiting the Reply button, won't send your signatures to the correct address.

          _rony

      From: unitedagainstracism@...
      To: UnitedAgainstRacism@...
      Date: 30, May 2002, 19:49

      ----- Forwarded by United AgainstRacism/UK/Amnesty International on 30/05/2002 20:49 -----
      UnitedAgainstRacism
      Sent by: United AgainstRacism

      30/05/2002 18:59

              To:        UnitedAgainstRacism/UK/Amnesty International

              cc:

      Dear Friend

      Thank you for supporting Amnesty International UK by signing our united against racism, Islamophobia and anti-semitism statement.

      We have made some modifications to the original text and are resending it for your approval again. The changes have been made because some of the original wording could have been interpreted as being inconsistent with Amnesty International's policy of not commenting on individual political parties or their electoral success.

      Amnesty International focuses on unacceptable policies and practices rather than supporting or opposing any government or political party. This ensures our independence and impartiality, which is vital to the credibility of our human rights work around the world.

      We believe that the revised text continues to address the key issues:
      ·        politicians across Europe have demonised and dehumanised refugee and asylum                 communities, refuelling the fires of racism and xenophobia;
      ·        mainstream politicians are using derogatory language and adopting policies which                 discriminate against some of the most vulnerable people in the world;
      ·        Islamophobic and anti-semitic attacks threaten communities across Europe;
      ·        people are being attacked simply for who they are.

      We are now planning to publish the advert on in the Jewish Chronicle and Al-Quds on Friday 14 June 2002. We therefore require your permission to still use your name (and organisation if applicable). The deadline for replies is 10am, Monday 10 June.  Please reply directly to this email or email: unitedagainstracism@...

      We are sorry for any inconvenience caused. Thank you again for your vital support.

      Asad Rehman
      Amnesty International UK

      Revised text reads as follows:

      UNITED AGAINST RACISM, ISLAMOPHOBIA AND ANTI-SEMITISM

      As members of all communities including Jews and Muslims we are gravely concerned at the sharp increase in racism, Islamophobia and anti-semitism across Europe.

      Political parties in Europe have achieved electoral success on racist or anti-immigration platforms. Mainstream politicians across Europe are also increasingly adopting an agenda which demonises refugee and asylum communities and thus legitimises racism and xenophobia.

      In Europe there are now attempts to use the current conflict in the Middle East to legitimise anti-semitism. Synagogues, Jewish cemeteries and other Jewish property as well as members of the Jewish community have become targets for hostility, hatred and attacks. In France the Synagogue in Marseilles was burned to the ground, whilst the Synagogues in Brussels and Antwerp in Belgium were also firebombed. In the UK an attack on a synagogue saw a swastika scrawled on the lectern, whilst in other attacks members of orthodox or Hasidic Jewish communities have been hospitalised. In Germany a young Jewish woman was attacked simply for wearing a  Star of David pendant.

      Since September 11th Muslim communities in particular have become the focus for vilification with a huge increase in racist violence and attacks. Mosques and other Muslim property as well as members of the Muslim and Arab communities have increasingly become the targets of hostility, hatred and attacks. In Brussels recently, a Moroccan immigrant couple were shot dead and two of their children wounded in a racist attack. Mosques and Islamic schools have been firebombed in the UK, Poland, Denmark, Ireland and the Netherlands. Whilst in the UK a young Muslim woman was attacked for wearing a Muslim headscarf.

      We call on all governments not to let racist and anti-immigration policies set the political agenda and to redouble their efforts to combat racism in all its forms and to bring to justice the perpetrators of hate crimes.

      We also reiterate our determination to stand united as one community in the struggle to combat racism, Islamophobia and anti-semitism wherever it occurs.

      If you wish to join the group that plan and design our events/activites you are more than welcome to join JustPeaceactive@egroups.com (a sub-group for those who carry out the actual work).

      If you wish to join the group that plan and design our events/activites you are more than welcome to join JustPeaceactive@egroups.com (a sub-group for those who carry out the actual work).

      If you wish to join the group that plan and design our events/activites you are more than welcome to join JustPeaceactive@egroups.com (a sub-group for those who carry out the actual work).

    • PAUL EISEN
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 1, 2002
        Please use my name and/or organisation, as you think best

        Paul Eisen
        Director (UK)
        Deir Yassin Remembered

        In message <EEEJIAELPOCPHHCNFKKPCEBGCNAA.rony@...>, Ron Cohen