Important statement regarding Gilad Atzmon's current US speaking tour

  • Roland Rance
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 1, 2012
      Monthly Review has just published this important
      statement<http://mrzine.monthlyreview.org/2012/ga280212.html>by
      anti-racist anti-Zionist activists appalled by Gilad Atzmon's current
      speaking tour across the USA. This is significant, since it is the first
      major left site to carry such a statement. Counterpunch has been very
      supportive of Atzmon (and his mentor Israel Shamir), and has even prevented
      me and others smeared by him from replying; while other publications have
      refused to become involved at all.

      It is particularly significant that the first signature (in strictly
      alphabetical order!) is that of As'Ad AbuKhalil, Lebanese leftist and
      academic, and author of the Angry Arab
      blog.<http://angryarab.blogspot.com/>This helps nail the lie that
      opposition to Atzmon is, and should remain an
      "internal Jewish" issue.

      The statement is being used both to mobilise opposition to Atzmon's current
      speaking tour, and as the beginning of a campaign to expose and defeat his
      reactionary views. This is a debate that we have been conducting for years
      in Britain; the decisions of the recent PSC AGM show that we have at last
      made progress here. But until recently, he has not had a major presence in
      the US, and there has been little vocal opposition.

      If you would like to add your signature to this statement, you can contact
      the organisers at antiracistantizionist@...

      Roland

    • Mark Elf
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 10, 2012
        As it happens Monthly Review jumped the gun with publication of the
        statement before it had been finalised. The final version now appears on
        the Three Way Fight blog here:
        http://threewayfight.blogspot.com/p/atzmon-critique_09.html

        and Jews sans frontieres here:
        http://jewssansfrontieres.blogspot.com/2012/03/atzmon-slagged.html

        Angry Arab, As'ad AbuKhalil has indeed signed the statement and Atzmon has
        reacted by calling him a "token Arab" and a collaborator:
        http://angryarab.blogspot.com/2012/03/israeli-soldier-wants-to-lecture-me.html