FW: 23 Israelis and Palestinians injured in settler attack outside Jerusalem

  • Mike Cushman
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 1, 2011
      From: Rachel Giora
      Sent: Saturday, October 01, 2011 11:11 AM
      To: rachel.giora
      Subject: 23 Israelis and Palestinians injured in settler attack outside Jerusalem

      http://972mag.com:80/settlers-attack-and-injure-23-israelis-and-palestinians-outside-jerusalem/24410/

      Friday, September 30 2011|Mairav Zonszein <http://972mag.com/author/mairavz/>

      23 Israelis and Palestinians injured in settler attack outside Jerusalem <http://972mag.com/settlers-attack-and-injure-23-israelis-and-palestinians-outside-jerusalem/24410/>

      23 Israelis and Palestinians injured – some including broken bones and bloody gashes – in an attack by settlers from the settlement of Anatot just outside Jerusalem, West Bank.

      <http://972mag.com/settlers-attack-and-injure-23-israelis-and-palestinians-outside-jerusalem/24410/bigmess-2/>

      Settlers clash with border police and activists (Photo: Activestills)

      According to Israeli activists, on Friday morning (Sept 30) Palestinian and Israeli activists were attacked by settlers near the settlement of Anatot, which is about 20 minutes drive outside of Jerusalem in the West Bank, just north of Maale Adumim. Activists came to accompany the owner of the plot of land to plant trees – when they were met by a large group of settlers, who attacked them and reportedly cracked open the head of the landowner and attacked his wife. The two have been hospitalized.

      Ynetnews is reporting <http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7340,L-4129258,00.html> that 3 have been “lightly” injured in clashes between protestors and settlers, who “hurled stones at each other.”

      According to the Ta’ayush activist I spoke to who prefers to remain nameless, the landowner, Abu Salah al Rifai and his wife Ayman, hold the ownership papers for their land, on which the settlement of Anatot was built in the 1980’s. Their case is a bit different from most Palestinians in the West Bank since Ayman has Israeli citizenship and therefore is actually allowed to enter the settlement and reach the land. The couple approached Ta’ayush activists several weeks ago and asked for help to prevent their land and property from being damaged by settlers.

      Here is the Ta’ayush activists’ account of what happened Friday, in his own words:

      When we arrived Friday morning there was already a security officer there, who decided to call the police, but they did not interfere. However, more and more settlers from the area gathered on the main road a few hundred feet from where we were. I called the police and told them we felt in danger. There were some police cars on the road where the settlers were but they did not prevent the settlers from coming up to confront us. Some came up to us and started cursing and threatening. I called the police again. Then dozens came towards us and began attacking us. It really felt like a lynch. I was punched several times and fell to the ground and when I got up I rushed over to a border police officer and begged him to protect me and help me. I latched on to him for dear life but he didn’t stop them. My camera was taken from me and broken and my glasses had broken somwhere. I began running to the street with another activist and managed to get away from the settlement while many others were still being attacked. I managed to get out with only a broken hand and some bruises.

      Activists claim the police officers who were present at the scene did nothing while they saw the activists being beaten and their cameras smashed. Three other activists have been hospitalized and an additional three have been arrested by the police, who have not arrested any of the settlers, in spite of having witnessed everything.

      <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eB6YeA6hmVE> YouTube Preview Image

      Later in the day, more activists arrived to protest against the violence that took place earlier. They too were attacked and beaten and had stones thrown at them. In spite of police presence at the scene, the police did nothing.

      Nineteen people were injured in the second attack, requiring medical attention, and three have been hospitalized. A total of 23 injuries were reported from this incident, and according to the twitter feed of a female activist who was there, <http://twitter.com/#!/Stavitsinai/status/119809280911220736> settlers tried to rip her clothes off. There was also damage done to cars belonging to the activists, which were parked outside the settlement – smashed windshields, head and tail lights, and punctured tires.

      <http://972mag.com/settlers-attack-and-injure-23-israelis-and-palestinians-outside-jerusalem/24410/car/>

      Smashed car windshield (Photo: Activestills)

      <http://972mag.com/settlers-attack-and-injure-23-israelis-and-palestinians-outside-jerusalem/24410/consoling/>

      Activists consoling each other after attack (Photo: Activestills)

      Comments <http://972mag.com/settlers-attack-and-injure-23-israelis-and-palestinians-outside-jerusalem/24410/#comments> 4

      Tweet <http://twitter.com/share>

      Tags

      anatot, border police <http://972mag.com/tag/border-police/> , east jerusalem <http://972mag.com/tag/east-jerusalem/> , Israeli activists <http://972mag.com/tag/israeli-activists/> , settlement <http://972mag.com/tag/settlement/> , settler violence <http://972mag.com/tag/settler-violence/> , west bank <http://972mag.com/tag/west-bank/>

      File Under <http://972mag.com/c/news/> News

      <http://972mag.com/settlers-attack-and-injure-23-israelis-and-palestinians-outside-jerusalem/24410/>

      <http://972mag.com/settlers-attack-and-injure-23-israelis-and-palestinians-outside-jerusalem/24410/> A Palestinian drasha for Rosh... <http://972mag.com/a-palestinian-drasha-for-rosh-hashana/24403/>

      4 comments for ”23 Israelis and Palestinians injured in settler attack outside Jerusalem“

      1. Henry Weinstein

      Friday,
      September 30, 2011
      9:54 pm

      Sorry but this not independent critical journalism, this is a totally, almost caricatural, one-side account of a clash between activists coming from Jerusalem city and settlers of Anatot.
      One question: did the Activestills photograph titled “Settlers clash with border police and activists”, chosen to open the paper, covered the clash near the settlement of Anatot, or is it an archive pic?
      It would be more convincing to be informed instead of being stuffed with sensational activism.

      2. RichardNYC

      Friday,
      September 30, 2011
      11:13 pm

      When was the last time the Palestinian owner of the land came to plant anything? Where is his land registered?

      3. Meni

      Friday,
      September 30, 2011
      11:53 pm

      Having been there yesterday evening, it was no joke. It was never like any demonstration that I’ve been to in the West Bank or in Israel.

      We came to the entrance to Anatot settlement to protest the pogrom that happened earlier that day. The entire settlement decided to come out of their houses, they opened the gate of the settlement and came rushing out, attacking us with rocks and fists. We had to escape to the main road, to the “hostile” Palestinian village of Hizma, where I never felt safer. If we hadn’t been able to escape, people could have been killed. It is worth mentioning that police was there but just asked “please don’t stand on the road”. They did nothing to stop the violence. If the pogromists were Palestinian, you can be sure the police would be using all violent measures in their arsenal.

      Till yesterday, pogroms by settlers only targeted Palestinians. Yesterday for the first time, Jewish Israelis also fell victim to settler pogroms. Don’t think they won’t get to you.

      4. חברה סגורה: 30 בספטמבר, 2011 | מדרון חלקלק <http://www.hahem.co.il/slipperyslope/?p=8159>

      Saturday,
      October 1, 2011
      12:31 am

      [...] פעילים ישראליים, ישראלים ופלסטינים הותקפו על ידי מתנחלים ליד התנחלות ענתות שבגדה המערבית, מצפון [...]

      Leave a comment

      Click here to discard your comment <http://972mag.com/settlers-attack-and-injure-23-israelis-and-palestinians-outside-jerusalem/24410/#respond>

      Name (Required) * [ ]

      Mail (Required) * [ ]

      Site [ ]

      Free Text

      [Submit]

      <http://972mag.com/author/mairavz/>

      Mairav Zonszein is an Israeli-American native of New York City, living in Israel since 1999. She works as an independent journalist, translator and editor and her research interests focus on the role of Israel in contemporary Jewish identity politics.

      She is currently the international media coordinator for the Association for Civil Rights in Israel. Anything she writes here is her opinion and her opinion alone, and does not represent ACRI.

      Mairav’s work has appeared in such outlets as Haaretz, Ynet, The Forward, The Nation, Dissent, Bikya Masr, and more.

      Mairav is active with Ta'ayush, a direct-action Arab-Jewish group whose activism focuses on the impoverished Palestinian communities of the South Hebron Hills.

      To Support +972 Magazine:

      <https://www.paypalobjects.com/WEBSCR-640-20110429-1/en_US/i/btn/btn_donateCC_LG.gif>

      Contact mairav@...

      RSS

      Subscribe to Mairav Zonszein <http://972mag.com/author/mairavz/feed>

      Blog

      Also Facebook <http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=774773792>

      © 2011 +972 Magazine <http://972mag.com> +972 is an independent, blog-based web magazine. It was launched in August 2010, resulting from a merger of a number of popular English-language blogs dealing with life and politics in Israel and the Palestinian territories, as well as the the wider geopolitical context. The magazine's stated purpose is to offer a fresh, on-the-ground perspective and analysis of the rich and unexpected cultural and social life in this region. +972 is jointly owned by its authors.

      Learn more

      About <http://972mag.com/about/> Terms of Use <http://972mag.com/terms-of-us/> Mission statement <http://972mag.com/mission-statement/> Contact us <http://972mag.com/join-us/> Privacy policy <http://972mag.com/privacy-policy/>

      Get updates

      RSS Feed <http://972mag.com/feed/> Events Feed <http://972mag.com/?dbem_rss=main> Quotes Feed <http://972mag.com/quotes/feed/>

      Share +972

      Credits