RE: [JustPeaceUK] Re: My book 'Jewish Identity and Palestinian Rights' is out

  • Deborah Maccoby
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 1, 2011
      David, I'm not sure if you've seen that your excellent letter re Alderman's piece has been published in this week's JC. I've typed it out below.

      Deborah

      I read Geoffrey Alderman's comments (JC, July 22), on my book on diaspora Jewish opposition to Israel ("Jewish Identity and Palestinian Rights") with interest and not a little astonishment. Professor Alderman has every right to disagree with the book's conclusions, but perhaps not to comprehensively ignore the findings.

      My research found little to support the cusomary narrative, repeated by Professor Alderman, that critics of Israel are alienated from self and from other Jews, perversely pursuing a warped Jewish identity by criticising Israel.

      In reality, many critics (not all of whom are anti-Zionist) are active in Jewish institutions and involved with aspects of Jewish life other than the civil war over Israel/Palestine.

      Many people's involvement in Jewish life has been deepened through their work in Israel-critical Jewish groups. For those seeking the pluralist regeneration of Jewish life, it would seem more appropriate to celebrate this than to treat it as a dangerous pathology.

      However, perhaps one must continue stigmatising Jewish critics of Israel if the aim is to avoid addressing the substance of their criticism, and to prevent understanding of the very real problems with Israel that have led growing numbers of diaspora Jews to distance themselves from Zionism and oppose Israel's policies.

      David Landy
      Trinity College Dublin

      To: JustPeaceUK@yahoogroups.com
      From: dlandy@...
      Date: Sun, 24 Jul 2011 16:59:05 +0000
      Subject: [JustPeaceUK] Re: My book 'Jewish Identity and Palestinian Rights' is out

      Thanks for that Debbie. No publicity is bad publicity I guess. I'd be expecting such a negative review from Geoffrey Alderman - in fairness he's returning the favour I gave him of a (somewhat more generous) review of his book earlier this year. But I'm surprised that he gave such a woeful misreading of the book. Ah well.

      --- In JustPeaceUK@yahoogroups.com, "Rachel" <rachel.lever@...> wrote:

      > These people just won't admit that the vast majority of Jews were originally
      > anti-Zionist. Anyone wanting more about the PEN debate can read my report
      > (was this the one referred to as the "anonymous blogger"?)
      > http://onedemocracy.co.uk/news/why-boycott-culture/#more-1133
      >
      > Rachel

    • David Landy
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 2, 2011
        Thanks very much Deborah. It seems they've printed the letter in its entirety. I was worried they'd cut the final paragraph.

        Interestingly, after the original Alderman article, someone from the Lancaster Jewish community contacted me, asking if I'd be interested in coming along and getting involved with them. I thought that was really pleasant (although, unfortunately I'm no longer living there). It indicates that a condemnation by Geoffrey is a letter of recommendation to other Jews!