Programme on BBC World Service today

  • Frank Fisher
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 1, 2010
      I just heard the latter part of a programme on BBC World Service about 1 hour
      ago.  It was an edition of the 'religion and ethics' programme Heart and Soul
      and was designated ' The Holocaust Deniers: episode 1'.  It is repeated today
      at 16.32 and then at 00.32 and the 04.32. It should also soon be on BBC iPlayer;
      but doesn't yet seem to be available at time of posting.

       The part I heard appeared to be about issues of antisemitism and the freedom to
      discuss issues around Israel within the Jewish Community.  Amongst those
      interviewed near the end are Debbie Fink and Brian Klug.

      See http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p00c3449

    • Frank Fisher
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 1, 2010
        I have now heard the whole of this programme and can confirm that its approach
        is very problematic.  The emphasis, unsurprisingly, appears to be on conflating
        critical views of Israel with antisemitism.  Howard Jacobson , amongst much
        other drivel, talks of 'so-called massacres' in Palestine and Anthony Julius
        claims that those who talk of 'dismantling the Jewish State' (he seems to be
        referring to all who wish to change the status of the state) 'contemplate with
        equanimity the wholesale death of Israeli Jews' and put themselves in the
        company of anti-semites.  Btw  Debbie the Diva's contribution near the end
        appears to be her speaking at a meeting rather than being interviewed.

        There is more to come in part 2, claimed to be specifically on Holocaust denial
        in Europe, particularly Lithuania

        Frank

        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 1, 2010
          I've just listened to some of this. Having heard me challenge Mad Mel during the debate 'Are Jews Growing Ashamed of being Jewish', Wendy Robbins interviewed me afterwards, outside the room as people were coming out. You can hear me being interrupted by a bunch of Zios, hence the agitation in my voice, Essex accent slipping out (!) and speaking fast so that I could get my words in. Ironically, I was not heckled when I spoke during the discussion.

          What I've heard of the programme is very disappointing- it's as if she'd been primed by Engage. I had a very long chat with her a week or so after I'd been interviewed and thought she understood the issues better.

          You can also hear Mark Gardner, David Hirsh (who seems to be having trouble breathing) and Eddie Friedman (a jfjfp sig. but she didn't say much).

          Debbie