ACTIVISTS DESTROY GAZA-RELATED ARMS PLANT - CALL FOR PRISONER SUPPORT

  • stevebonhamuk
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 6, 2009
      ACTIVISTS DESTROY GAZA-RELATED ARMS PLANT - CALL FOR PRISONER SUPPORT

      ARMS FACTORY PUT OUT OF ACTION IN SOLIDARITY WITH GAZA -
      SUPPORT THE PRISONERS

      Six Bristol residents, and three from Brighton, have been charged
      with doing damage to the EDO ITT factory in Brighton, where bomb
      delivery systems are manufactured for warplanes and missiles,
      including weapons used by the Israeli army in Gaza.

      Manufacturing equipment was destroyed inside the factory, and
      computers destroyed, bringing production to a total standstill.

      The activists were accountable for their actions, and non-violent.
      One made a film explaining his intentions before the actions. Others
      called the police, once they had damaged the factory.

      Awaiting
      trial
      All All
      nine activists have been charged with Criminal Damage, and are
      awaiting a Crown Court Trial. One is subject to a curfew. Two
      others have been remanded in custody.

      Prisoner support,
      please!
      The two
      from Bristol who have been remanded in East Sussex would greatly
      welcome messages of support. Send cards and letters to Elijah Smith
      (prison No. VP7551) and Robert Alford (VP7552) at: HMP Lewes,1
      Brighton Road, East Sussex BN7 1EA

      OTHER HELPFUL THINGS TO SEND -

      The prisoners would also be glad of stationery and stamps.

      Postal orders must have the sender's name and address on the back,
      and be made out to `HM Prison Service.'

      Books can be sent, but only after sending a letter to the prisoner
      to get written confirmation that the book is wanted. They must be
      bought from either Waterstone's or W.H. Smith's.

      Tapes and CDs can be sent in the normal way, but must be new
      (packaging unopened), and have sender's name and address enclosed in
      the package.

      Note :- Some of the above may sound bizarre, but all of it is
      true. I checked with the prison, and again with the Prison Service,
      who said `Governor's discretionary rules' – which I think is a polite
      way of saying he can make whatever rules he pleases !
    • Dan Judelson
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 7, 2009
        The description "governor's discretionary rules" suggests otherwise,
        but in fact the rules are pretty standard.