File - The Etiquette File

  • JuneauAKFreecycle@yahoogroups.com
    Message 1 of 73 , Nov 1, 2008
      Dear JuneauAK Freecycle(TM) Member,

      Thanks for being a part of The (ever-expanding) Freecycle Network. We're changing the world one gift at a time! This message is sent to all subscribers upon joining, and periodically thereafter to the entire list.

      If you're new to the group or want a quick refresher on making the most of our Freecycle group, please read on!

      This Freecycle group matches people who have things they need to get rid of with people who can use them. Our goal is to keep usable items out of the landfill.

      By using what we already have on this earth, we reduce consumerism, manufacture fewer goods, and lessen the impact on the earth. Another benefit of using Freecycle is that it encourages us to get rid of junk that we no longer need and promote community involvement in the process. Free your inner pack rat!

      JuneauAKFreecycle is part of the incredibly fast-growing international Freecycle movement, which began in Tucson, AZ on May 1st, 2003 and now boasts thousands of groups all over the world. Please help this group grow by spreading the word! We all personally know lots of great people in our community who would love this idea.

      So, why not "pay it forward" and tell 3 (or more) people how wonderful Freecycle is! You tell your friends, your family, your neighbors, your co-workers... and they tell theirs, and so on, and so on... well, you get the idea!

      USING THE FREECYCLE(TM) LIST

      To post, read, or reply to messages or to manage your membership settings (including email delivery options), visit the group site (AKA main page) at:

      To read list archives (especially helpful for new members who may find recent posts of interest there), visit the main page and click on "messages" on the left.

      For more information on Freecycle in general and a list of other approved Freecycle groups, visit http://www.freecycle.org/ (Highly recommended!)

      The following list rules have been adapted from the original Freecycle etiquette sheet. A certain structure helps the group run smoothly and effectively for everyone's benefit. Remember, the success of this group depends on all of us, and that means each of us need to do our best to keep on task and, well, be nice and patient. Good Luck, Have Fun & Thank You for keeping Good Stuff out of the Landfills!

      The following are required rules which some local groups also choose to adopt:

      1. KEEP IT FREE, LEGAL & APPROPRIATE FOR ALL AGES. This means, for example,

      * no pornography,
      * no alcohol,
      * no tobacco,
      * no drugs (of any kind, including all medicines, vitamins, creams, etc.),
      * no firearms or other weapons.

      Two strikes and you're out of the group. This is our main Freecycle rule to live by and it's a pretty easy one at that.

      2. SUBJECT LINE OF YOUR POSTS. Use these phrases to make it easy for others to delete or view. (There may be slight variations on these from group to group as well).

      * OFFER: thingamajig (Your General Location)
      * TAKEN: thingamajig (Used in conjunction with Offer)
      * WANTED: thingamajig, any condition. (Your General Location)
      [Please use this post sparingly and don't offer money. And above all else, don't ask for an extravagant item like a diamond ring which we'd all like to have or the strike rule will kick in - see no. 1 above]
      * RECEIVED: thingamajig (Used in response to Wanted)
      * ADMIN: (Used by Owners and Mods - local policy dictates)

      3. NO POLITICS, NO SPAM, NO MONEY, NO PERSONAL ATTACKS/RUDENESS, NO PROSELYTIZING/RELIGION. It's all about R-E-S-P-E-C-T. Two strikes & you're out, i.e. you will be unsubscribed by the moderator after two inappropriate postings.

      4. NO TRADING PLEASE. Go to your local trading organization for this. It can be quite fun. With Freecycle, though, there are no strings attached, just give it away now.

      6. NO OFFERING YOURSELF OR YOUR CHILDREN.

      Posting oneself or another person from the human species is not allowed.

      There are many fine Internet dating sites better suited to this purpose.

      7. A BRIEF NOTE ON FREECYCLE ETIQUETTE: "Be nice." We are all volunteers and we've got a great little community here so when you arrange to pick up an item from another Freecycle member, it is basic good manners to accommodate them as much as possible in terms of scheduling, and then be punctual; they are, after all, giving you something you need and asking nothing in return except that you will show up when you say you will. (Leaving someone hanging is never a nice thing.) Also, unless the giver tells you otherwise, assume that they would like you to come by as soon as you can to take away the item; no more than three days after the offer is made is usual. (Think of it as The Three-day Rule.)

      8. SAFETY. Be aware! It is up to each individual member of Freecycle when arranging for pickup of the item being given away to be appropriately aware of the potential risk of having "a stranger" come to your home to pick something up. Freecycle as a organization assumes no responsibility for this risk. You may want to arrange to meet in a public place or leave the item on the front porch without mentioning whether or not you will be home at the time of pickup.

      9. PLEASE DO NOT POST THE SAME "WANTED" POSTING MORE THAN ONCE A MONTH. (There will be variations from group to group)

      10. YOUR APPROXIMATE LOCATION: Try to list this in the body of your e-mail as well as in the subject line. OFFER Couch (downtown). "I've got a couch and live downtown. Nearest intersection: Speedway and Stone."

      11. KEEP IT ALL IN ONE E-MAIL. Got more than one thing to give away? Keep it all in one e-mail please and just number the items for your own clarity. This reduces the overall number of emails we all have to receive. Some groups don't do this rule.

      12. CAN WE USE FREECYCLE GROUPS TO FIND NEW HOMES FOR PETS? Some groups say yes, but keep it legal & lovingly careful. Other groups say no, please refer to Petfinder (http://www.petfinder.com) to find a pet locally. It depends on what you and your fellow members have decided on locally. However, posts about pets for breeding purposes are not allowed in Freecycle groups.

      13. PICK UP. Arrange as you like. Generally, you'll wait until you get a handful of responses or maybe overnight, and then you can pick whomever you like! That's half the fun. I always ask that people consider giving your starving local charity preference if one should respond. Arrange pickup with one person only, rather than "it's on the porch, whoever gets here first gets it." Otherwise you'll become unpopular pretty fast with your fellow Freecycle group members. Also, only give your phone number to one person at a time or ask for the recipient's phone no. Otherwise you'll get swamped with phone calls. Some groups do not allow phone numbers and addresses to be posted due to safety concerns for their members. Again, this is local policy.

      That should just about do it. Have Fun and Thank you for being a part of The Freecycle Network(TM)!

      Regards,
      Your JuneauAKFreecycle Moderators
    • JuneauAKFreecycle@yahoogroups.com
      Message 73 of 73 , Apr 1 10:48 AM
        Dear JuneauAK Freecycle(TM) Member,
        [Updated 2010.010.06)

[...]

        * TAKEN: thingamajig [Used by an OFFERer to notify the list that the item is no longer available and stop asking]
        * WANTED: thingamajig, any condition. (Your General Location)
        [Please use this post sparingly and don't offer money. And above all else, don't ask for an extravagant item like a diamond ring which we'd all like to have or the strike rule will kick in - see no. 1 above]
        * RECEIVED: thingamajig [Used by WANTEDer to notify the list that they've received the item and stop more offers, NOT TO EXPRESS GRATITUDE, please don't clutter the list with a communication that is only between the two parties]

        12. CAN WE USE FREECYCLE GROUPS TO FIND NEW HOMES FOR PETS? No, our goal is to keep usable items out of the landfill. For pet adoptions please contact the Gastineau Humane Society <http://www.ghspets.org/> or refer to Petfinder (http://www.petfinder.com) to find a pet locally.