Wanted: Blacksmithing tools

  • Ivan Hazelton
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 1, 2008
      I'm looking to equip a primitive blacksmith shop for the Boy Scouts
      for the Metal Working merit badge, any un-powered tools would be
      helpful. Not that I would turn down powered tools, but those require
      more of a shop than I can provide right now.

      Protective: suede leather sleeves
      suede leather coats
      suede leather aprons
      face shields
      safety glasses with side shields
      Welding Gloves
      Leather gloves

      Forge: gas powered would be best (beggars can't be choosers can they?)
      Propane cylinders (20 or 30lb)
      fire brick
      refractory blanket (such as Kao-wool, Inswool, Unifrax, Durawool
      or ceramic kiln lining)
      refractory reflective coating (such as ITC or Fiberfrax Qf-180 or
      Plistix 900F)

      Hammers: Cross peen
      Ball peen
      Blacksmiths
      Treadle hammer (I can dream, can't I? I'll make the space!)

      Anvils: Any large, heavy, solid, steel object. They don't have to be
      high quality, even ASO*'s will do (*Anvil Shaped Object). But I
      wouldn't turn down a Peddinghaus #12 if offered.

      Vise: old fashioned post/leg vise
      Vises

      Tongs: Blacksmith Long handled tongs of any cross section (wolfjaw etc.)

      Cooling: 55 Gallon Drums
      metal garbage cans
      metal buckets

      Finishing: Grinding wheel (unpowered if possible, Hand or foot powered
      , great! Again, I probably won't turn anything down, just not my first
      choice.)

      Materials: vehicle Leaf springs
      vehicle coil springs
      odd bits of rebar