New members

    Message 1 of 15 , Aug 27, 2000
      Hi everyone,

      Just wanted to make our new members feel welcome...

      Hello to Illusio, Pafnuzio, Spyder, Dejah, Vaughn,
      Damia, Peter, Mischa and Mark.

      Good to see some of you are getting involved
      already
      It would be great to get some new threads going, so
      feel to jump in wherever you like. Also, if you've got
      a chance it is probably a good idea to go back and
      read some of the earlier posts and get an idea of what
      sort of ground we have already covered. It would be
      terrific to have some new insights on some of the
      earlier topics, such as "Is Marc the Antichrist? Or
      Has He Just Been Misunderstood?". We've been fairly
      active in the small time we have been existant, and
      I'd like to be here for a long time to come, so please
      make the atmosphere conducive to long term. in depth
      discussion.

      Just a short note on quotes - if you are referring to
      comments made in earlier emails please copy a sentence
      or two to provide a point of reference (we don't need
      the whole post).

      Also, if you feel so inclined, a brief intro of
      yourself would be great, so that everyone can 'put a
      face to the name', as it were.

      Thanks everyone,

      http://mail.yahoo.com/
      Message 2 of 15 , Feb 28, 2001
        Just a quick welcome note to new members - there were four or five new
        join ups last nite. Please feel free to jump in and introduce yourself
        or lurk until comfortable!
        Also, just to let everyone know Amanda has unsubscribed.....*cry*

        Oh well, lets just see what else happens!

        Le
      • Werner Peeters
        Message 3 of 15 , Mar 1, 2001
          On Thu, 1 Mar 2001, Leticia Anderson wrote:

          > Just a quick welcome note to new members - there were four or five new
          > join ups last nite. Please feel free to jump in and introduce yourself
          > or lurk until comfortable!
          > Also, just to let everyone know Amanda has unsubscribed.....*cry*
          >
          > Oh well, lets just see what else happens!

          Okay, I'll jump in.
          I'm Werner Peeters, I'm 29 and I'm from Belgium. My first encounter with
          Julian May books was during a trip to Russia in the late '80's, where
          these books with their attractable covers (you know, the snake, the skull
          etc.) were on display in one of the tourist shops. Unfortunately, they
          were to be paid in Western valuta only, making their price outrageously
          high. When I returned to Belgium, the first thing I did was to visit my
          local library, and they even turned out to have a translation in Dutch.
          After reading them (being a slow but thourough reader the books took me a
          week each, which is in my standard pretty high), I took the first sale
          opportunitiy to buy the whole series, and I've been buying all newer works
          since.
          Julian May was also for me the gateway to a bunch of other authors in
          whose work I've become interested, just because their books are edited by
          the same publisher, or at least are on display next to each other in most
          stores. Some names: Zelazny, Martin, Jordan, Kay, Bradley... I really
          cannot recall them all.

          About bringing the works of Mrs. Majewski to the big screen: would the
          British actor John Thaw (a.k.a. Inspector Morse) not be the perfect
          Rogatien? Just wondering... I also would pick Matt Damon as a younger
          Marc.

          --
          dr Werner Peeters - RUCA Dept. of Mathematics Off # U529 |M _/\/\/_ S
          Groenenborgerlaan 171, B-2020 Antwerp, Belgium |A \,>o(,,/_ I
          |E / |/ O
          "If you spam me, you agree to pay me $10000" | "Suck suck" N
        • Unifex
          Message 4 of 15 , Mar 1, 2001
            On Thu, 1 Mar 2001 11:10:07 +0100 (MET), Werner Peeters wrote:

            > About bringing the works of Mrs. Majewski to the big screen: would the
            > British actor John Thaw (a.k.a. Inspector Morse) not be the perfect
            > Rogatien? Just wondering... I also would pick Matt Damon as a younger
            > Marc.

            Leda also mentioned Ian Holm had been a past suggestion for Rogatien, but
            I think Holm and Thaw are both too old. Rogi, once matured, stopped aging
            when he became middle aged - I can't remember the exact age but I'm sure
            May mentioned mid-40s. Holm and Thaw are both 60+ years old.. Another
            thing mentioned was his height, he's quite tall - near 6ft I think. Just
            a couple of factors I thought were worth mentioning..

            Unifex
            Message 5 of 15 , Mar 1, 2001
              > Okay, I'll jump in.
              > I'm Werner Peeters, I'm 29 and I'm from Belgium. My
              > first encounter with
              > Julian May books was during a trip to Russia in the
              > late '80's, where
              > these books with their attractable covers (you know,
              > the snake, the skull
              > etc.) were on display in one of the tourist shops.

              Hey Werner good to have you on board....we all love
              the Russian cover art which Elena so generously
              scanned in! She is living in Russia at present and has
              the distinction of having read the sagas in both
              English and Russian while Senda has read them in
              English and Spanish...anyone else read the sagas in
              more than one language? We have had a few discussions
              on translation which were interesting.

              I've been
              > buying all newer works
              > since.

              Have you read the Orion arm trilogy and the trillium
              series/ What did you think?

              > Julian May was also for me the gateway to a bunch of
              > other authors in
              > whose work I've become interested, just because
              > their books are edited by
              > the same publisher, or at least are on display next
              > to each other in most
              > stores. Some names: Zelazny, Martin, Jordan, Kay,
              > Bradley... I really
              > cannot recall them all.

              Julian May has been the gateway to so many things for
              me. I remember reading her when I was young just going
              'Where do I go to meet people who have read things
              like this or think like this?'. A couple of years
              later I thought it was uni but I don;t think I was
              entirely correct in that assumption *g*!
              As for other sci-fi I started on Julian May through
              MZB, I'd seen her name as a co-writer with Bradley on
              the Trillium series. Although I am still a devoted MZB
              fan I still think I feel that May surpasses her and
              most other authors!!

              > About bringing the works of Mrs. Majewski

              Nice work, you've obviously done your homework LOL
              to the big
              > screen: would the
              > British actor John Thaw (a.k.a. Inspector Morse) not
              > be the perfect
              > Rogatien? Just wondering... I also would pick Matt
              > Damon as a younger
              > Marc.

              Ha ha have you seen Kevin Smith's film 'Dogma'? Matt
              Damon plays a fallen archangel called Loki, who finds
              a loophole in catechism which allows him to slip back
              unannounced into heaven (with the unfortunate side
              effect of mass carnage). There is a great scene set in
              a car park where Matt Damon and Ben Affleck have a
              major altercation, and Ben ends up turning on Matt
              saying 'I've heard that rant before!' Matt looks all
              innocent but Ben continues 'I've heard that rant
              before! The Star of Morning -' and the absolutely evil
              turn that Matt takes is very Marc, The Angel of the
              Abyss-like.
              Nevertheless I don;t know about Matt as Marc even if
              he does do a convincing evil Angel? He doesn't really
              have the physique ha ha

              http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/
              Message 6 of 15 , Mar 1, 2001
                > Leda also mentioned Ian Holm had been a past
                > suggestion for Rogatien, but
                > I think Holm and Thaw are both too old.
                > Unifex

                Yes the description would go something like 'scruffy
                middle aged beanpole with visible signs of long term
                alcohol abuse'.
                I must admit it is a hard role to fill. I think
                Inspector Morse's eyes would be too piercing coercor
                blue for Rogi too!
                Anyone got any other suggestions. For some reason
                Bryan Brown is springing to mind which is extremely
                scary!

                Message 7 of 15 , Mar 2, 2001
                  On Thu, 1 Mar 2001, Leticia Anderson wrote:
                  > Hey Werner good to have you on board....we all love
                  > the Russian cover art which Elena so generously
                  > scanned in!

                  Hi Leticia,

                  I think the book I saw back then was an English translation though. It's a
                  little bit long ago, but I looked through the covers section on the Yahoo
                  page and they were not among them. So there exists at least one more set
                  of covers for the Exiles series.

                  > She is living in Russia at present and has
                  > the distinction of having read the sagas in both
                  > English and Russian while Senda has read them in
                  > English and Spanish...anyone else read the sagas in
                  > more than one language? We have had a few discussions
                  > on translation which were interesting.

                  I read the books in Dutch and my nephew read them (the Milieu trilogy at
                  least) in English. I had the occasion to browse through his copy, and I
                  didn't notice any substantial differences; the only remarkable thing is
                  that this F.U.R.Y acronym (I think somewhere at the end of Jack) was
                  untranslated in the Dutch copy, since it's appartently untranslatable :-)

                  > Have you read the Orion arm trilogy and the trillium
                  > series/ What did you think?

                  The third part of the Orion arm triliogy has not been issued here yet; I
                  liked the two first books though, but since there was quite some time
                  between me reading the first and the second one, I had troubles getting
                  into the story again. I think I'll re-read them, but I'm waiting for #3,
                  because I'm not going to re-re-read them!

                  As for the trillium series, I have all five books (the original and the
                  four sequels, two of which by May). I thought Blood Trillium was pretty
                  neat, a great sequel to the original. May is at her best when she creates
                  a world of rivalling factions, and I think the book has added to the
                  credibility of the series, unlike the Norton sequel, which is highly
                  contradictive to May's work. Sky Trillium was a bit of a disappointment
                  though, I really hoped for a great finale instead of Orogastus' remorse.

                  > Julian May has been the gateway to so many things for
                  > me. I remember reading her when I was young just going
                  > 'Where do I go to meet people who have read things
                  > like this or think like this?'. A couple of years
                  > later I thought it was uni but I don;t think I was
                  > entirely correct in that assumption *g*!
                  > As for other sci-fi I started on Julian May through
                  > MZB, I'd seen her name as a co-writer with Bradley on
                  > the Trillium series. Although I am still a devoted MZB
                  > fan I still think I feel that May surpasses her and
                  > most other authors!!

                  I think that only Jordan, Martin and Kay are playing in the same league. I
                  mean, one book is better than the others, and I really can't make a
                  ranking. I like for instance Jordan's Fires of Heaven above, say,
                  Magnificat, but on the other hand a book like Intervention beats any
                  Jordan novel without competition. I'm just attracted to books which have a
                  map with a non-existing country in one of the front pages (the first
                  fantasy I read was, of course, Tolkien), but what kindled my interest in
                  May's work in the first place was that the map was the pliocene Europe.

                  > > About bringing the works of Mrs. Majewski
                  > Nice work, you've obviously done your homework LOL

                  Thank you

                  > Ha ha have you seen Kevin Smith's film 'Dogma'? Matt
                  > Damon plays a fallen archangel called Loki, who finds
                  > a loophole in catechism which allows him to slip back
                  > unannounced into heaven (with the unfortunate side
                  > effect of mass carnage). There is a great scene set in
                  > a car park where Matt Damon and Ben Affleck have a
                  > major altercation, and Ben ends up turning on Matt
                  > saying 'I've heard that rant before!' Matt looks all
                  > innocent but Ben continues 'I've heard that rant
                  > before! The Star of Morning -' and the absolutely evil
                  > turn that Matt takes is very Marc, The Angel of the
                  > Abyss-like.
                  > Nevertheless I don;t know about Matt as Marc even if
                  > he does do a convincing evil Angel? He doesn't really
                  > have the physique ha ha

                  I was more thinking of his destructive genius- style like in, say, The
                  Talented Mr Ripley or Good Will Hunting... but I can picture him being
                  Marc, no problem. About John Thaw being too old, I always imagined
                  Rogatien being of about his age. I know his genes stopped aging at a
                  certain moment, but I remember him stating something like that the process
                  started later with him than for instance with Denis, and him being the
                  oldest surviving member of the family would require an experienced and not
                  too young actor.

                  Whom would you cast as Felice?

                  --
                  dr Werner Peeters - RUCA Dept. of Mathematics Off # U529 |M _/\/\/_ S
                  Groenenborgerlaan 171, B-2020 Antwerp, Belgium |A \,>o(,,/_ I
                  Phone: +32 3 218 03 75 - Fax: +32 3 218 02 04 |G \(o)(o) /_ M
                  E-mail: wpeeters@... |G /c @_/ P
                  Homepage: http://math.ruca.ua.ac.be/~wpeeters |I C_, )/ S
                  |E / |/ O
                  "If you spam me, you agree to pay me $10000" | "Suck suck" N
                • Avalon Myst
                  Message 8 of 15 , Mar 2, 2001
                    --- Leticia Anderson <leda_au@...> wrote: >

                    > Yes the description would go something like
                    > 'scruffy
                    > middle aged beanpole with visible signs of long
                    > term
                    > alcohol abuse'.
                    > I must admit it is a hard role to fill. I think
                    > Inspector Morse's eyes would be too piercing
                    > coercor
                    > blue for Rogi too!
                    > Anyone got any other suggestions. For some
                    > reason
                    > Bryan Brown is springing to mind which is
                    > extremely
                    > scary!

                    Hmmm - get rid of the accent and it could be a
                    possibility (eeek!)

                    Avalon

                    http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/
                    Message 9 of 15 , Mar 4, 2001
                      --- In Julian-May-discuss@y..., Werner Peeters <wpeeters@r...> wrote:
                      > I think the book I saw back then was an English translation though.
                      It's a
                      > little bit long ago, but I looked through the covers section on the
                      Yahoo
                      > page and they were not among them. So there exists at least one more
                      set
                      > of covers for the Exiles series.

                      Another challenge out there....were the Dutch covers there the ones
                      you have?

                      > that this F.U.R.Y acronym (I think somewhere at the end of Jack) was
                      > untranslated in the Dutch copy, since it's appartently
                      untranslatable :-)

                      Acronym?

                      > dr Werner Peeters - RUCA Dept. of Mathematics Off # U529

                      Dr of mathematics? Do you have any insights into concepts like dynamic
                      field physics or any other 'mathematical' concepts? I know Ms May has
                      said she is just waiting for someone out there to go and prove her
                      concepts, or at least explain them techinally, she herself being dumb
                      and blind to maths and physics apparent
                      Message 10 of 15 , Mar 4, 2001
                        > > Bryan Brown is springing to mind which is
                        > > extremely
                        > > scary!

                        > Hmmm - get rid of the accent and it could be a
                        > possibility (eeek!)
                        >
                        > Avalon

                        Somehow I still doubt that it could ever be but hey he does fit the
                        physical description and larrikin profile!

                        Led
                      • Werner Peeters
                        Message 11 of 15 , Mar 5, 2001
                          On Mon, 5 Mar 2001, Leticia Anderson wrote:
                          > Another challenge out there....were the Dutch covers there the ones
                          > you have?

                          I have the Dutch covers, yet. I remember seeing the covers I originally
                          meant some time ago in a English import book store in Antwerp, but they
                          were a little expensive, considering I have all of them already in
                          translation. But when I see them again I shall write down the ISBN number
                          and the publisher.

                          > > that this F.U.R.Y acronym (I think somewhere at the end of Jack) was
                          > > untranslated in the Dutch copy, since it's appartently
                          > untranslatable :-)
                          >
                          > Acronym?

                          Yes, there was some scene (don't ask me where exactly) when the
                          authorities are looking for Fury, and stumble in their investigations upon
                          some bogus company of which the name starts with F, U, R and Y...

                          > Dr of mathematics? Do you have any insights into concepts like dynamic
                          > field physics or any other 'mathematical' concepts? I know Ms May has
                          > said she is just waiting for someone out there to go and prove her
                          > concepts, or at least explain them techinally, she herself being dumb
                          > and blind to maths and physics apparent

                          I'm more of a researcher in things like fuzzy control and general
                          topology, but I've had my share of dynamical systems theory in my courses.
                          Regrettably, I must inform you that no evidence whatsoever substantiates
                          Mrs. Mays theories (although they are remarkably coherent for a SF novel).
                          I think they shall remain a fantasy for the next few hundred years. Of
                          course you never know, but there is pretty hard evidence against phenomena
                          such as time traveling and psychokinetics. In the mind of serious
                          scientists spottings of paranormal phenomena are often met with great
                          skepticism, and there are even scientific groups here in Belgium who have
                          offered a big cash reward to anyone who could prove the existence of such
                          phenomena to them. Needless to say, they haven't had to pay anything yet.

                          It still remains great reading material though, and the escapism is what
                          draws scientists towards these books. I know of at least one colleage
                          having read the Exiles and Milieu books, and a former colleague who
                          moreover read the Trillium series.

                          dr Werner Peeters - RUCA Dept. of Mathematics Off # U529 |M _/\/\/_ S
                          Groenenborgerlaan 171, B-2020 Antwerp, Belgium |A \,>o(,,/_ I
                          Phone: +32 3 218 03 75 - Fax: +32 3 218 02 04 |G \(o)(o) /_ M
                          E-mail: wpeeters@... |G /c @_/ P
                          Homepage: http://math.ruca.ua.ac.be/~wpeeters |I C_, )/ S
                          DVD-page: |E / |/ O
                          http://zeus.ruca.ua.ac.be/~wpeeters/dvdlinks.html | "Suck suck" N
                        • niallperry@yahoo.com
                          Message 12 of 15 , Mar 10, 2001
                            --- In Julian-May-discuss@y..., "Leticia Anderson" <leda_au@y...>
                            wrote:
                            > Just a quick welcome note to new members - there were four or five
                            new
                            > join ups last nite. Please feel free to jump in and introduce
                            yourself
                            > or lurk until comfortable!
                            > Also, just to let everyone know Amanda has unsubscribed.....*cry*
                            >
                            > Oh well, lets just see what else happens!
                            >
                            > Le

                            Well after a long time away I have returned to the discussion list,
                            (a pity about Amanda, but it's great to see so many new people in the
                            list).

                            I've just come back from the US and I bought a copy of Sagittarius
                            Whorl there (can't get it in Ireland, yet) so I'll have a full report
                            on it shortly, has anyone esle read it???

                            I see the great casting debate is still going on, we'll have to get
                            some sort of poll together for it :)

                            Well I'm going to go and read all the postings I've missed.

                            TTFN

                            Niall
                          • Pamburger@aol.com
                            Message 13 of 15 , Mar 10, 2001
                              Hello all,

                              My name is Pam and I absolutey love Julian Ma. I have read the pliocene,
                              intervention series and now the last one w/ Diamond mask I guess. I also just
                              perseus spur.

                              Pam
                              Message 14 of 15 , Mar 12, 2001
                                --- In Julian-May-discuss@y..., niallperry@y... wrote:
                                > I've just come back from the US and I bought a copy of Sagittarius
                                > Whorl there (can't get it in Ireland, yet) so I'll have a full
                                report
                                > on it shortly, has anyone esle read it???

                                I am reminded of my negligence. My next goal is to read those three
                                books! I've been on a weird reading spin at the moment, I've been
                                doing fantasy rereads (a reread of Kate Elliott's Crown of Stars
                                series and a reread of Robin Hobb's Liveship Traders series - that's
                                a fair bit of reading) and other weird bits and pieces - I've got 'The
                                Rise and Fall of the Third Chimpanzee' in my bag which is a Selfish
                                Gene style popularised human evolution/genetics text, and on my
                                smoking lounge at home are F Scott Fitzgerald's Tender is the Night
                                and The Complete Sailor.
                                My next goals are: Guy Gavriel Kay's Sarantine Mosaic, May's Orion Arm
                                trilogy, reread of I Claudius duo and reread of Lord of the Rings. I
                                get really frustrated sometimes - I feel like I am missing out, that
                                there are so many great books around to be read but I keep finding
                                myself stuck on rereads!

                                > I see the great casting debate is still going on, we'll have to get
                                > some sort of poll together for it :)

                                Are you volunteer
                                Message 15 of 15 , Mar 12, 2001
                                  --- In Julian-May-discuss@y..., Pamburger@a... wrote:
                                  > Hello all,
                                  >
                                  > My name is Pam and I absolutey love Julian Ma. I have read the
                                  pliocene,
                                  > intervention series and now the last one w/ Diamond mask I guess. I
                                  also just
                                  > perseus spur.
                                  >
                                  > Pam

                                  Hey Pam, great to have you on board! Feel free to toss in any points
                                  yu would like to discuss there are plenty of us here justwaiting to do
                                  a reread.