Re: [Julian-May-discuss] Re: Group read

  • bob
    Message 1 of 30 , Sep 5 3:29 AM
      The only problem is one of attention span. I mean seriously, can you read just one chapter at a time?

      Me, once I pick the Exile books up I can't put them down!
      Message 2 of 30 , Sep 5 3:43 AM
        Very good point Bob, maybe the books could be broken into sections,
        there are a lot of natural breaks in the books where the story
        switches between different threads. Or we could discuss them one
        book at a time...

        just a couple of thoughts.

        Niall

        --- In Julian-May-discuss@y..., "bob" <pallol@b...> wrote:
        > The only problem is one of attention span. I mean seriously, can
        you read just one chapter at a time?

        > Me, once I pick the Exile books up I can't put them down!

        Service.
      • bob
        Message 3 of 30 , Sep 5 4:25 AM
          I don't want to even try imagining Leda with a whip, but the again, hey whatever burns your candle to gets you through the night!

          Sorry Leda *grin*

          Hey Makr how come, JM isn't mentioned on your homepage, or are you truly more of a Jane Austin fan?

          Enquiring minds need to know...

          Message 4 of 30 , Sep 5 4:39 AM

            Message 5 of 30 , Sep 5 5:48 AM
              >I don't want to even try imagining Leda with a whip, but the again, hey
              >whatever burns your candle to gets you through the night!

              Be nice!

              >Hey Makr how come, JM isn't mentioned on your homepage, or are you truly
              >more of a Jane Austin fan?

              Yes. I'm more of a Janeite. Sorry, but it's the "greatness"/"favourite"
              thang. Anyway, once I get my "Cool Stuff" page up JM (and us) will get a
              mention. Good enough? I love JM but she doesn't obsess me like Kate Bush
              or Jane Asten does. But that doesn't mean I'll ignore her :)

              >Enquiring minds need to know...

              I'm of the opinion that enquiring minds usually just need a good
              spanking. Hey, Leda, grab that whip!

            • nicolel@iconz.co.nz
              Message 6 of 30 , Sep 5 10:13 PM
                Hiya,

                Niall's idea of breaking the books into sections sounds a good one, rather than a few chapters at a time. Besides, as Bob said, with JM books a few chapters at a time isn't really enough. When I was reading 'Orion Arm' (yes, I know it isn't in the same league as the Exile books) for the first time I was annoyed that things like 'sleep', 'work', 'eating' and 'more work' were getting in the way of reading it.

                On another note, I believe this year is the 20th anniversary of 'Many Coloured Land' being published...is noticing a detail like that sad or what..<g>

                Message 7 of 30 , Sep 6 2:51 AM
                  Niall wrote:
                  > Very good point Bob, maybe the books could be broken into sections,
                  > there are a lot of natural breaks in the books where the story
                  > switches between different threads. Or we could discuss them one
                  > book at a time...

                  One chapter at a time...maybe I was hallucinating! I didn't think that one
                  through did I! I was thinking a book a month was still pretty slow. I think
                  chapter a week was a slip from another list I was on which was doing a
                  chapter per week read. As you can imagine that is an amazingly drawn out
                  process (a Dorothy Dunnett list - you need that much time really to work out
                  all her sources and translate the foreign poetry and conversation!).
                  JM is complicated and has a lot of subtle (too subtle, according to Makr and
                  Michaela *g*!) hints about upcoming revelations plus a lot of throwaway
                  comments on inspirations for the author, but we don't need that long.
                  I'm actually a terrible group reader because once I start reading I read
                  until it is finished. If a book takes me longer than a week it usually means
                  I don't really like it! The benefit of having the grou there is that if you
                  race through and finish it, everyone else is still talking about the start
                  so you can go back and reread the relevent sections.
                  Everyone on this list has (I assume) read all the Pliocene series so I don;t
                  think we need to worry about spoilers (we don't in general conversation of
                  course but sometimes some lists ban spoilers on re-reads so that everyone
                  gets to experience it new again in a way. And discuss it from the POV that
                  you don;t know what is going to happen even though you really do *g*).

                  I'll scan through the books and work out some sectioning but I might need a
                  hand there later in the year!

                  High Thought,
                  Leda

                  PS Since I have been emailing from my work address my messages seem to have
                  been posting OK....damn Yahoo!
                  Message 8 of 30 , Sep 6 7:07 PM
                    Makr wrote:
                    > I'm of the opinion that enquiring minds usually just need a good
                    > spanking. Hey, Leda, grab that whip!

                    Hmmm, you never really know do you with the faceless Net! But I think you
                    all know me better than that!

                    For the effect anyway, can everyone please imagine demure ole me with a
                    black whip striding over the list striking great vengeance and furious anger
                    down upon everyone? Thanks.

                    Leda, Warrior Princess
                  • bob
                    Message 9 of 30 , Sep 7 1:39 AM
                      I thought this list was bout JM, not S&M, is anybody else suddenly very, very scared... :-)

                    • niallperry@yahoo.com
                      Message 10 of 30 , Sep 7 2:28 AM
                        Yep, scared, but also mildly intrigued

                        ;-)

                        --- In Julian-May-discuss@y..., "bob" <pallol@b...> wrote:
                        > I thought this list was bout JM, not S&M, is anybody else suddenly
                        very, very scared... :-)

                        Service.
                      • bob
                        Message 11 of 30 , Sep 7 7:47 AM
                          Really? I Always saw Leda as more of the Elizabeth type... but then again a fixation with inflatables might also have unfortunate connotations. Of course Leda has been quite of late and you know what they say about the quiet ones. *grin*

                          Sorry Leda, I hearby divorce myself from this thread completely and apologise profusely.

                          High Thoughts for the weekend

                          >I thought this list was bout JM, not S&M, is anybody else suddenly very,
                          >very scared... :-)

                          One word: Felice.

                          :)

                          Makr.

                        • Makr
                          Message 12 of 30 , Sep 7 8:03 AM
                            >I thought this list was bout JM, not S&M, is anybody else suddenly very,
                            >very scared... :-)

                            One word: Felice.

                            :)

                            Makr.
                            Message 13 of 30 , Sep 7 6:17 PM
                              Re: [Julian-May-discuss] Re: Group read on 8/9/01 12:47 AM, bob at pallol@... wrote:

                              Really? I Always saw Leda as more of the Elizabeth type... but then again a fixation with inflatables might also have unfortunate connotations. Of course Leda has been quite of late and you know what they say about the quiet ones. *grin*

                              The Ice Queen? With all of you in this Many Coloured Land my Puffins? Hmmm, I think you are right to lay off on that thread!!! Who do you see yourself as? I actually identified most strongly with Mercy - before she left Earth. Then she just goes downright mean and scary but she was not presented quite as such before The Golden Torc. Since Elizabeth's obviously Marc's type I won't take you too much to mtask over the Elizabeth identification (considering my youthful infatuation with him!!). I'm quite freaked now,  I never actually much liked Elizabeth!

                              Message 14 of 30 , Sep 7 6:18 PM
                                >> I thought this list was bout JM, not S&M, is anybody else suddenly very,
                                >> very scared... :-)
                                >
                                > One word: Felice.

                                Or Don. Or Vic. Or Hydra.....

                                Message 15 of 30 , Sep 7 6:21 PM
                                  We have another new member on board - welcome to the group! Please feel free
                                  to ignore the spurious accusations about whipping that have been flying
                                  around here willy nilly lately and fossick into the archive for more
                                  intelligent conversation! There is plenty there to read through.....plus we
                                  have worked to fill up some of the other areas on the list with links to JM
                                  related stuff and pics of worldwide cover art and polls and other stuff!

                                  Leda
                                • clarissafarrington@bigpond.com
                                  Message 16 of 30 , Sep 8 7:40 PM
                                    Count me in whatever we decide to do!

                                    --- In Julian-May-discuss@y..., Leticia Anderson <leticia@r...> wrote:
                                    > on 5/9/01 4:05 PM, Makr at khashka@e... wrote:
                                    > > I agree with Nicolette. A group reread, slowly, chapter by
                                    chapter, could
                                    > > be a lot of fun.
                                    > > Count me in, Leda.
                                    >
                                    > Right, I'll start working on some schedules etc now, and by the 1st
                                    Feb it
                                    > shoudl be done!
                                    > I thought January people might be on holidays so Feb better time to
                                    start. I
                                    > will be going back to uni then too, so I will have heaps of time
                                    off (so I
                                    > am telling myself! Anything would be better than working though!
                                    Might be
                                    > singing a different tune when exams come around next year).
                                    >
                                    > Leda
                                  • Makr
                                    Message 17 of 30 , Sep 9 8:27 AM
                                      >The Ice Queen? With all of you in this Many Coloured Land my Puffins? Hmmm,
                                      >I think you are right to lay off on that thread!!!

                                      I think... well, I interpreted the identification with you as Elizabeth
                                      as indicating that you are calm, collected, intelligent, fundamentally
                                      compassionate.....

                                      But what do I know?

                                      I was the one who egged on the Leda as Kitten With A Whip idea. I take no
                                      responsibility for that - I had farsensed you wearing nothing but a pair
                                      of thigh high leather boots and grasping a whip but see now that I was
                                      probably picking up on the desires of certain members of the group: They
                                      Know Who They Are Are! I'm literal (literarily) minded enough to suspect
                                      you have an unhealthy interest in swans - but that's just me. ;)

                                      >Who do you see yourself
                                      >as? I actually identified most strongly with Mercy - before she left Earth.
                                      >Then she just goes downright mean and scary but she was not presented quite
                                      >as such before The Golden Torc.

                                      Well, Leda, that's just not fair! "I identified with so and so as long as
                                      they were nice!"

                                      I identified with Felice and Elizabeth, both. Including their not so nice
                                      sides. I didn't really "identify" with Bryan -he was a wimp who needed a
                                      good hard slap- but there was something very attractive(?) about someone
                                      who would give up all for love.

                                      Makr.
                                      no I don't need therapy
                                      Message 18 of 30 , Sep 10 12:52 AM
                                        Leda wrote:
                                        >> The Ice Queen? With all of you in this Many Coloured Land my Puffins? Hmmm,
                                        >> I think you are right to lay off on that thread!!!
                                        Makr replied:
                                        > I think... well, I interpreted the identification with you as Elizabeth
                                        > as indicating that you are calm, collected, intelligent, fundamentally
                                        > compassionate.....

                                        Sheesh I'm raking in the compliments this way!
                                        Well I guess none of us will ever know that much about each other but it is
                                        interesting to imagine sometimes! I must confess the whip doesn't play a
                                        very big part in my life unfortunately, nor do swans....since my real name
                                        is actually Leticia (the Angliscised Latin descendent of Leda) then those
                                        historical bestial tendencies have started to pass out of the bloodstream.

                                        > I identified with Felice and Elizabeth, both. Including their not so nice
                                        >sides.

                                        Maybe you are braver than me and I don't want to admit I might be like the
                                        mean Mercy. I identified with the misfits, the ones who went off into Exile
                                        looking for wider horizons or just something else that isn't found in this
                                        world here and now, even though there is so very much! [if that makes
                                        sense]. That's the part of Mercy I felt most strongly, the wanderer and
                                        yearner. The Elf Queen is not the type of woman that most gals want others
                                        to think they are! A hundred years ago it was fashionable to be a
                                        Pre-Raphaelite femme fatale, but definitely not these days. Be competent and
                                        non-clingy and you are doing well! Nevertheless I have always been entranced
                                        by the PRB work and perhaps that is also why Mercy is so strong to me.
                                        I wouldn't be so harsh on Brian though. Really, in the Many Coloured Land he
                                        is really the most human, the most normal and accessible of all the
                                        characters. He may be the weak man dominated but he seems the least
                                        archetypal of the Green Group - indeed I feel he is somewhat anachronistic,
                                        the man of reason, the observer, among demi-gods and children playing at
                                        been demi-gods, enacting out the fantasies and sterotypes of the collective
                                        unconsciousness.
                                        By the end it does become easy to despise him but another thing to remember
                                        is that in the legends of La Belle she tends to take warriors and princes,
                                        men of great valour. Even their strength at arms and fame is nothing to the
                                        helpless passion she inspires in them.

                                        The other character I would feel most close to would probably be Lucille.

                                        Leda
                                      • bob
                                        Message 19 of 30 , Sep 10 5:07 AM
                                          Makr, you need to find a cold shower as soon as possible...

                                          Besides, I'm the one with the unhealthy interest in aquatic birds. *grin*

                                          Message 20 of 30 , Sep 13 5:01 PM
                                            Re: [Julian-May-discuss] Re: Group read bob wrote:

                                            Besides, I'm the one with the unhealthy interest in aquatic birds. *grin*

                                            How so?
                                          • bob
                                            Message 21 of 30 , Sep 14 2:10 AM
                                              Re: [Julian-May-discuss] Re: Group read
                                              On holiday this year, we spent a week on the Norfolk Broads a huge man-made series of waterways that have become a National Park in the UK. Clare - my beloved for those keeping count - started feeding the wild birds from the back of our motor cruiser. I became fascinated by the Coots that started following the boat and decided - as men who never grow out of childhood often do - to experiment and see just how many birds I could get to follow us. I started throwing over larger and larger portions of bread, biscuits etc until I had a huge crowd of Coots, Geese, Swans following us like they had found a birdie messiah. I became I freely admit completely delirious by this sight and started feeding the fresh fish we'd bought for our dinner to the birds as well - the bird-word must of got out because the sheer amount of birds became prodigious, Moorhens, Kingfishers Herons - I tell you I was a bird god!

                                              ...there was this blue flashing light approaching...

                                              Suddenly an irrate river patrol vessel guard is demanding to know what the hell I'm doing causing a - wait for it - a mile and a half shipping hazard!

                                              Murmured replies about becoming a bird god, to which all birds would eventually bow down and answer to my beckon call, fell on death ears and a mortified Clare had to placate the water-bobby and assure him that I would be okay as soon as I took my medication.

                                              Unhealthy enough for you? *grin*

                                              Bob

                                              Message 22 of 30 , Sep 14 9:19 PM

                                                Have you read the Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy books? I just had
                                                this vision of the guy who was a rain god, but did not know it and
                                                the clouds just followed him because they loved him and wanted to be
                                                with him.

                                                HMMMM catchy - Bob the Bird God - lol

                                                You should find the Aussie some real beer - Carlton or a VB - Of
                                                course if he is from South Australia he would not know what a good
                                                beer is!!

                                                Cheers

                                                Clarissa

                                                Service.
                                                Message 23 of 30 , Sep 18 3:42 AM
                                                  Clarissa wrote:
                                                  > Have you read the Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy books? I just had
                                                  > this vision of the guy who was a rain god, but did not know it and
                                                  > the clouds just followed him because they loved him and wanted to be
                                                  > with him.

                                                  There was an episode of X-files like that - a meteoroligist who always took
                                                  the weather with him. In one case he accidentally transferred his abilities
                                                  on someone he hated so that wherever this guy went it rained. He happened to
                                                  be in a drought stricken region and made quite a bit of dosh from it. Can't
                                                  see the Bird God turning his ability to such good fortune! *g*

                                                  Leda
                                                • bob
                                                  Message 24 of 30 , Sep 18 4:08 AM
                                                    I love that episode, just because they drop a cow on Mulder!

                                                    Blisssssssss

                                                    Message 25 of 30 , Sep 19 5:09 PM
                                                      Re: [Julian-May-discuss] Re: Group read Are you saying you don't like Mulder or something?

                                                      Message 26 of 30 , Sep 20 1:53 AM
                                                        Can't say I missed him in the last series - mind you he was replaced by the Terminator... *grin*